Games do a lot of stupid shit don't they?

May 28, 2015
It's usually the stupid things the AI does. The last thing I remember was from Far Cry 4. I killed a few bad guys who were setting up a bomb, looted a shack, detoured to pick up a plant and ran back to the entrance to see a lone enemy sneaking up to the bomb. "Uh, hello? I'm right here." I sprint up to them. Still nothing. I almost felt bad for killing the stupid SOB. I miss the unnaturally quick reflexes the enemies had in Far Cry 1.

Friendly AI is often worse. "Sorry, Freeman." "We'll get out of your way." But they never do.

Corey Schaff said:
Eh, any game where the response of stealing a loaf of bread is for the entire town to pull out their weapons and try to kill you.
Reminded me of the Clueless Gamer review of Skyrim [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYY1GHzauCo?#t=4m6s].

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
erttheking said:
I love games, I really do, but they're pretty stupid at times, delightfully so at points, but there's no getting around the fact that sometimes games do really stupid things... Kind of hilarious though.
And as long as those 'things' remain hilarious, then as far as I'm concerned, they can go on doing them to their heart's content as far as I'm concerned.

Take a bow, Driver 1

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
A KissLike Smile said:
Missing a 95% hit chance in X-Com on an enemy one tile away always makes me wonder how these soldiers got past basic training. I mean there's bad and then there's "This person shouldn't be allowed near a weapon" bad.

Never happened to miss a paper basket while right next to it?

Now imagine that, only with a 6-foot tall rape machine running towards you with intentions of sticking its clapjaws right at your throat.

I'm getting really tired of this argument. Newsflash: The Chryssalid/Muton/Sectoid/whatever isn't actually waiting there for you to shoot it. It's running towards the soldier, or away from the soldier, or returning fire, or whatever it is it did in the previous and posterior action.

OT: The stupidiest thing I can remember that actually left me asking "wtf" was the recent (not so recent now) lore changes in LoL. The nice folks at Riot's Lore team removed the League of Legends from League of Legends. Truly terrific.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Raids in Destiny, seem to nigh universally feature aliens keeping a relic nearby (or straight up spawning one for you, in the newest one) that ranges from incredibly helpful to have, to outright being the one thing in the known universe that can injure them.

There's a semi-reasonable explanation in the Vault of Glass, if you read the Grimoire (although it involves both time travel and space wizards). No apparent indication is given fro why Crota creates a Chalice that eliminates the effects of his anti-healing aura (though he doesn't on Hard, at least), or lets weaker dudes in his army a)Use swords that can kill him when nothing else can, b)Keeps these guys in stead supply in his throne room instead of off battling elsewhere.

And the Taken King just straight up creates stuff during his fight that is immediately used to kill him.

There is some rambling about "Sword Logic" where Hive have to prove their continued necessity of existence by triumphing in their purpose over others or something in the Grimoire, but thats a very flimsy justification at best.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
JamesStone said:
A KissLike Smile said:
Missing a 95% hit chance in X-Com on an enemy one tile away always makes me wonder how these soldiers got past basic training. I mean there's bad and then there's "This person shouldn't be allowed near a weapon" bad.

Never happened to miss a paper basket while right next to it?

Now imagine that, only with a 6-foot tall rape machine running towards you with intentions of sticking its clapjaws right at your throat.

I'm getting really tired of this argument. Newsflash: The Chryssalid/Muton/Sectoid/whatever isn't actually waiting there for you to shoot it. It's running towards the soldier, or away from the soldier, or returning fire, or whatever it is it did in the previous and posterior action.

OT: The stupidiest thing I can remember that actually left me asking "wtf" was the recent (not so recent now) lore changes in LoL. The nice folks at Riot's Lore team removed the League of Legends from League of Legends. Truly terrific.
This.
I was so tired of this joke of how a soldier can miss a close target.
Well people, it doesn't matter how good you are or even how close is a Alien to you.
If you see in real life a f*cking bear coming to you, full speed mind you and you had a weapon, I strongly believe if you aren't trained to shoot a good, you would be dead.

As for me.
Barrels. Barrels everywhere which you can shoot and explode. Oh hey, there are also the army you are trying to kill also near them. AWESOME!
Put....the Barrels....inside....A SAFE PLACE YOU F*CKING MORONS!!!
*My inner Overlord sceaming in agony*

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
A KissLike Smile said:
I'd like to see you hold a weaponry properly while facing down a charging alien. Especially some of the bigger ones.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
"That fence is four fucking feet high. I could clamber my mundane arse over it without difficulty. You're a seven foot bio-engineered super-soldier. Figure it out you dopey ****!"

"I just spent the last three hours shrugging off multiple bullet, stab and bludgeon wounds. But a named villain has just stabbed me once in a cutscene, so now it's suddenly serious!"

"I have just been shot twice in the lower chest. I am bleeding from both the entry and exit wounds. My lung has been punctured and if the odd sound in my breathing is any indication it may be filling up with fluid. Furthermore, at least two of my ribs were shattered and that movement in my side suggests a case of flail chest. Considering the location of the exit wound there is also the possibilty of damage to the spine from fragments of bullet or bone."
"Here, have a bandage and some morphine, you'll be fine. Or alternatively just walk it off so long as you don't get shot again in the next 30 seconds or so."

May 28, 2015

JamesStone said:
SweetShark said:
Cecilo said:
Bickering in a thread that's supposed to reduce bickering? How appropriate.

The chance is calculated beforehand. That's what 95% means. If you were a bad shot, it would be lower. If the target was far away or fleeing, it would be lower.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Zhukov said:
"That fence is four fucking feet high. I could clamber my mundane arse over it without difficulty. You're a seven foot bio-engineered super-soldier. Figure it out you dopey ****!"
Oh! Right, this reminds me of a really funny section in Mass Effect 1:

Might have been on Noveria, but you come up to a place you have to jump down to continue. You get a stern reminder that if you go there, there is no coming back, or in other words, "loot everything you can from here, as you won't return". Well, or rather, you will be back in this section at the very end of the level. At any rate, point is if you jump down, you can't come back the same way. Only...when you jump down, the wall that cannot ever be climbed is at shoulder height for Shepard. Sure, you probably can't jump there (even if the game had a jump button) and sure, maybe sheppard really can't pull himself up by himself (dunno, he may have skipped the gym recently) but there is three people there. You could have them help out each other to get up.

ghostface

Dec 14, 2015
I dunno, I kinda think that chest-high impassable walls are a necessary evil for some games. I mean, in Dark Souls there are plenty of walls that any able-bodied person could scale, but there isn't any good solution for them. I mean, the developers could just make every boundary/wall/railing/banister 10 feet tall, but then every area would feel like it's boxing you in. You have to be willing to suspend your disbelief a little bit when you play any game. =/

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
In a couple of MMOs I used to play, I made it to the higher levels with plenty of enchanted stuff, and then I would go back to the earlier towns just to see a quest giving NPC say "this might be too much of a challenge for you".

*****! I'm Glowing!

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
So many things in so many games. Skyrim & Fallout are the ones that really piss me off. The fact that I can't bash down a half rotted door in an ancient dungeon or blown out ruin just because of some tiny little lock is fucking annoying. It would be great if I could burn that shit down too, but then wood would have to be flammable, which of course is complete fantasy & nonsense.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
erttheking said:
BloatedGuppy said:
A KissLike Smile said:
I like to think of it as each turn based sequence represents a couple of seconds. If I miss at point blank range, the alien simply dodged.

It's a more "realistic" interpretation of turn based combat than "we each take turns standing stock still while the other side runs up and empties guns into our heads".
Funny you mention dodging. In Darkest Dungeon, there used to be a stationary cauldron that could dodge. Apparently it was magical.
Crusader: "Get back here, you!"
Cauldron: "Catch me if you caaaan!"

Thanks for the mental image.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
crimson5pheonix said:
Dungeon layouts are usually pretty stupid. My favorite is how inevitably the switches or keys to a door are in front of the door that's trying to be protected.
My favorite example here is the randomly generated dungeons from The Swindle.

Noble 1: "I must say, Thomas, this mansion is truly amazing. May I use your restroom?"
Noble 2: "Certainly! Just climb straight up the side of my mansion, run along the roof, grab some dynamite and blast through several feet of solid concrete. The restroom should be right there."

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Pokémon's insurmountable waist-height trees.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Mr Fixit said:
So many things in so many games. Skyrim & Fallout are the ones that really piss me off. The fact that I can't bash down a half rotted door in an ancient dungeon or blown out ruin just because of some tiny little lock is fucking annoying. It would be great if I could burn that shit down too, but then wood would have to be flammable, which of course is complete fantasy & nonsense.
What? I thought Fallout let you use explosives as an alternate way to get past locks. Then again, I've never tried it in any of the non-isometric ones.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
sageoftruth said:
Mr Fixit said:
What? I thought Fallout let you use explosives as an alternate way to get past locks. Then again, I've never tried it in any of the non-isometric ones.
Possibly, I've only played 3 & New Vegas. I really should play the older ones.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Classic Final fantasy (it applies to Pokemon as well) with its turn based combat system has always amused me, just the idea that you would just wait patiently while someone is gearing to knock the stuffing out of you as opposed to running away or just hitting them repeatedly seems a tad strange, but then again, that is the beauty of games, they allow you to suspend all belief for a little while.