Games for Gothic Girlfriend?

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
Volan said:
I'm not saying that you're stereotyping, it's just that there aren't really many games out there that cater to her sort of taste, and if she's wanting to get into 'serious' gaming then there's not many good choices.

Actually, now I think about it, perhaps she'd like Silent Hill? Not any of the new ones, mind - the one's where the horror comes from its symbolism, and isn't designed to frighten, but rather disturb.

And perhaps the Thief series? They aren't gothic per se, but they are set in a steam-punk Victorian setting, and incorporate some horror elements.

Actually, she'd enjoy The Cave as well, I think. It's not gothic, again, but it does have a gothic character, and the humour is decidedly dark, and really funny.
I know, I just thought I'd point it out just in case :p

Silent Hill is a game I've been meaning to get into, so that's a good one. Would it be better to start with the first or go for the 2nd (since I know that the 2nd is kind of the god of horror games)?

I'll definitely look into the Cave, but maybe not thief, well, at least not now anyway. Thanks for the ideas though :D

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Hmm I vaguely remember an MMO where one of the elf races was very Victorian Gothic (or at least what I think that is, I could be wrong) but I can't remember the name. It probably isn't around any more though.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Jamaicob5 said:
Volan said:
I'm not saying that you're stereotyping, it's just that there aren't really many games out there that cater to her sort of taste, and if she's wanting to get into 'serious' gaming then there's not many good choices.

Actually, now I think about it, perhaps she'd like Silent Hill? Not any of the new ones, mind - the one's where the horror comes from its symbolism, and isn't designed to frighten, but rather disturb.

And perhaps the Thief series? They aren't gothic per se, but they are set in a steam-punk Victorian setting, and incorporate some horror elements.

Actually, she'd enjoy The Cave as well, I think. It's not gothic, again, but it does have a gothic character, and the humour is decidedly dark, and really funny.
I know, I just thought I'd point it out just in case :p

Silent Hill is a game I've been meaning to get into, so that's a good one. Would it be better to start with the first or go for the 2nd (since I know that the 2nd is kind of the god of horror games)?

I'll definitely look into the Cave, but maybe not thief, well, at least not now anyway. Thanks for the ideas though :D
Silent Hill is a bit of an odd storyline. The third game is a direct sequel to the first, while the second is its own standalone (the other games aren't really worth looking at, in my opinion). Many people prefer the second simply because it didn't follow the story from the first. The first game covers the reason why Silent Hill is the way it is (which, now I think about it, is a gothic-like story on its own, involving an abusive and dangerously manipulative religious cult), while the second explores the very personal, in-depth effect it has on different people.

Generally, people that are new to gaming prefer nicer graphics, so I'd probably start with the second for that reason. Then, if she really enjoys it, she could play the first or skip that one to the third, which features an awesome female protagonist that she'd really enjoy, and she could just read a summary of the first game.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Ooh I forgot about this one. What about . . .

Clive Barkers' Undying

It's over a decade old and his Irish accent is terrible, but it fits the bill. I just tested my old copy and it runs on Windows 7 so you should be able to run it on whatever your girlfriend has.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Jamaicob5 said:
Well Alice and Dishonored are games that I think she'd like, but I still think that may be a bit too hard for her to start with. I think she'll need something really simple to start with before she moves onto games like these.
GrimHeaper said:
Gothic games?
May I suggest the DMC HD collection?
Then again Dante might steal her from you.
Isn't that a console exclusive collection? Because I don't own a console XD

DementedSheep said:
Limbo isn't that hard. Since it's a puzzle game I would think it would be good for someone who doesn't play many games.
It's still quite unforgiving, and I don't want her to be put off by constant dying :/
You could try DMC3 SPECIAL EDITION instead.
I'm not sure if her computer can run a constant 60 fps game though.
ps2 or not.
Don't worry the game isn't hard on easy mode.

Agent_Dark

Oct 27, 2010
Maybe try The Secret World. It's sort of an HP Lovecraft MMO with secret societies (Illuminati, Templars etc). It's also free to play, so you only need to buy the game (like $25 on Steam) - it's full of all sorts of ancient mythologies, urban legends and horror tropes tied into real historical things. I'm not sure if it qualifies as Victorian Gothic, but it does create a pretty convincing horror/survival atmosphere.

StylinBones

Mar 3, 2012
Bioshock, Shadow of the Colossus, Super Mario World (because everyone should play this), NIER, Mass Effect, Half Life 2. These are the games I would choose to get a girl into gaming. For your girl, OP, I would let her play Limbo. That game is very dark and looks badass. Maybe some Portal, too.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Well, Alice has been said, but needs to be said again. Alice: Madness Returns.

But, just that would be boring of me, so I'll also recommend The Path. Haven't played it but it looks as Gothic as some black cathedral-y thing. Yeah, erm, here's a trailer.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
One choice that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet is the indie game "The Path" which you can get on Steam.

Edit: *mutter-mutter-ninja'd-mutter*

Rufio's Ghost

Oct 2, 2012
Copper Zen said:
One choice that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet is the indie game "The Path" which you can get on Steam.

Yeah, that seems pretty perfect.
Oh and side note, the game tells you to stay on the path... but don't. It's a waste of 10 minutes.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
wait am i reading this right? it looks like you said she is in to horror games but is too easily frightened to play scary games, which makes no sense to me.

Second World

Feb 9, 2012
"Silent Hill is a game I've been meaning to get into, so that's a good one. Would it be better to start with the first or go for the 2nd (since I know that the 2nd is kind of the god of horror games)?"

Eh? No. Something about not being able to proceed in any Pyramid Head scene without doing something senseless "shooting him with all your bullets," "Sprinting down a hallway perfectly lest Pyramid stabs your girlfriend whom then gets stabbed anyway (using controls that don't exist in other games)"
Or any other instances of nonsense such as "Yes, keep sticking your hand in things for prizes," "You have to shoot the fat human guy 30 times with a hunting rifle before he gets shot to death," and "Her dad will keep groping you in her room until you master the weird running controls" would probably be put-offs.

Silent Hill 3 is a lot more macabre, but it suffers in the control and puzzle departments (DO NOT exceed the "normal" riddle difficulty.) The Borley(?) Haunted Mansion 2/3 of the way through features another "run down a twisty hallway fast lest you lose" which may or may not be off-putting. She might appreciate the theme park and the Silent Hill takes on the mall, hospital, and church.. if you didn't say she was timid.. Why are you trying to subject her to Silent Hill?

She might like Okami. Okami is very artsy and the controls are easy. Ico & Shadow of Colossus might also be something.

She could probably get into anything Shin Megami Tensei. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Persona 3, and Persona 4 especially. Nocturne (Lucifer's Call in Europe) is the best in the series (no voice acting though.)

Since they're RPGs, the difficulty is less in controls and more in planning ahead. The Shin Megami Tensei games aren't sissy, but I imagine a game that requires mental as opposed to button-mashing skills would allow her to really get engrossed in it. Most of the series has difficulties to pick from if she finds one too stressful.

They also have horror elements. They're not blatant enough to frighten anyone, but they're interesting. The Labrinth of Amala's red blood-filled walls, the eyes that stare at you there, the misty dream world in an office building where people are being tortured, the murder mysteries in all of the Persona games, confronting Fallen Angels that are panicking because they can no longer talk to God in Digital Devil Saga, Confronting the psychological trauma each character has in Persona 4, etc.

Kids that are just getting into games tend to get more satisfaction from Turn-based RPGs (Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy) than action games. It's because, while they can be challenging, the challenge is in their control. Whether through planning ahead, leveling up a bunch, or finding a better item etc. This is probably why most MMOs are RPGs. Everyone can get into them and a single game can last a long time.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
If you have a PS2, there was a game called Primal. It was pretty well acted, and the mechanics are easy to grasp.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Rufio said:
Copper Zen said:

Yeah, that seems pretty perfect.
Oh and side note, the game tells you to stay on the path... but don't. It's a waste of 10 minutes.
Have you played it and if so is it any good? That game has always intrigued me for some reason and from what I hear the "game" part of it is more figuring out what the metaphors mean and who each character is since the gameplay itself just seems to wandering around finding things. Which could be interesting if it's done well...or it could be boring and up its own arse.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Just give her portal. Always works.
I don't see how her being a goth means she can only enjoy games with that theme.

It would also help knowing what genres she likes since "Victorian Gothic" could be anything from castlevania over amnesia to devil may cry.
It's pretty much everywhere.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Guys. Stop it guys. Stop suggesting anything other than Vampire: The Masquerade. Yeah yeah, she may come around to that other stuff, and you're all suggesting good games, but my God. I didn't understand goths at all until I played that game.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Yeah, I'd also suggest Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Not exactly Victorian gothic but close enough, and would be a good introduction to the RPG genre.

If she also happens to be into gothic lolita (probably not if she hates uber happy stuff), introduce her to Touhou... then laugh as she gets slaughtered by cute little girls.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Shame on you, Escapists. Just...just shame.

...that you did not mention this.

Other than this, I would recommend Pokemon Black.

Well, duh!

Another

Mar 19, 2008
I know you said that she doesn't like sci-fi, but what about distinctly distopian sci-fi? Stuff like Deus Ex might fit that, maybe even Dead Space if she can take that level of scare? It's not Victorian or Gothic, but they don't really ever go unrealistically happy.

But apart from that I can really only reiterate stuff like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and sorta suggest Bioshock and Dishonored again, since those are more Victorian Steampunk, as others have stated.

Victorian-Gothic is not exactly super common now that I think on it. Wish there was more, mostly because it's a shame to have all these potential settings underutilized.