Games for when you're feeling down

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Everyone needs a pick me up once in a while, what works for you?

I think for me I like more hands on, light on story games, as opposed to story-heavy or puzzle games during those times. Stuff like the Katamari games, for example. Time sinks are also great for getting your mind out of your worries. All those open-world games with loads of objectives on the map, like Mad Max, short gameplay loops that you can string together, like Hyrule Warriors, or some grinding for loot games, like Destiny 2 (I assume, the release on PC has been pushed a couple of months). Then there's Civilization, which isn't that hands-on, but it sure does grab your attention and holds it like a vice.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think a sense of accomplishment is important, so like you said, anything brief and episodic (level-based) or any time sink sandbox where you can pick up a missions willy-nilly or grind stuff are good enough. Depends what I'm playing at the time.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Elder Scrolls games. When I am depressed which is often, I find I lack a desire to engage with most games. Putting forth the effort is not fun, but in games like Skyrim, I can play the game while doing little. Usually I avoid long indepth dungeons and stick to misc quests that I can complete in a town.

ESO also for much the same.

Also games like Terraria, Starbound, and Minecraft, again all cause I can play them without having to accomplish anything.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I'm the opposite. I like story heavy games where i can get immersed in a fictional world without having to think about the real world. Usually JRPGS, because of their colorful aesthetics and ( usually) happy go lucky characters.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I spent a weekend once where I played the Halo campaigns, doing nothing but eating junk food and takeaway, whilst getting absolutely hammered on cider and vodka.

Honestly, one of the best weekends of my life. Great stress relief.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Lately Okami for its gorgeous upbeat-ness and Ace Combat 5 to make me feel heroic. Thank fuck for emulation, I almost completely missed the PS2 back in the day.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I tend to not game when feeling down because when I game it's something I put a lot of energy into instead of something I do to relax. I guess I could see some simpler games such as a card game good for those times, though. Maybe Shadowverse or something.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Something funny. Try thimbleweed park or one of the old Lucasarts adventure game classics.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
All of those story based games. The more depressing or darkly comic, the better though. Happier, loud games tend to feel more obnoxious to that state of mind. It tends to seek moods to suit it and to distract the nasty thoughts. It sounds counter-intuitive perhaps, but the brain seems to reject anything it sees as a happiness it doesn't want or understand at the time. That Game Company does some pretty disarming experiences that help people I believe.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Saelune said:
I concur with ESO. Because you have a vaerity of things you can do, you can find something to switch off to. Sunless Sea as long as you don't read too much of what you doing (like eating your own crew when you starve). Chugging along in the empty void feels peaceful

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Any open world/sandbox where I can move at my own pace and do what I want, bonus if there?s an interesting traversal mechanics (e.g.: Prototype, Crackdown.)

Saelune said:
Elder Scrolls games.
I agree with at least Morrowind; whenever I was in a bad mood, I?d just go get lost in an adventure. Pick a spot on the map that hadn?t been explored yet, and I?d invariably find a cave or a Daedric/Dwarven ruin or a fort or something. Oblivion and Skyrim, not so much; no real sense of adventure when you?re never going to find any loot or enemies that aren?t scaled to your level, so why bother?

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
Journey.

Simple yet immersive, little input required yet a lot to take out. Purely therapeutic.

The gaming equivilant of a relaxing bath or a hot cup of tea.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
King Billi said:
Journey.

Simple yet immersive, little input required yet a lot to take out. Purely therapeutic.

The gaming equivilant of a relaxing bath or a hot cup of tea.
I should totally pick up Journey

I had to postpone a hiking/camping trip because of a sprained ankle, so I booted up my dusty copy of Skyrim mainly so I can walk around the world and climb mountains and take in the views. I walked from Whiterun to Riften right off the bat and there was a lot of interesting views of mountains and waterfalls and old crumbling towers. It's a shame the game doesn't incorporate that in the quests enough, I would love to have a timed quest where you have to race from one town to another, or chase some bandits down on horseback or something

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Grand Theft Auto+Flamethrower+Crowd=Job Done

Or if not the Flamer then Sniper Rifle from a Bridge/Overpass

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Saelune said:
Elder Scrolls games. When I am depressed which is often, I find I lack a desire to engage with most games. Putting forth the effort is not fun, but in games like Skyrim, I can play the game while doing little. Usually I avoid long indepth dungeons and stick to misc quests that I can complete in a town.

Also games like Terraria, Starbound, and Minecraft, again all cause I can play them without having to accomplish anything.
Yeah, same. When depressed I don't usually do deep dives into stories I should care about precisely because I don't care.
Personally, I usually gravitate to puzzle games for low-stress, low-stakes play and because it's surmountable and gets my mind focused on one thing.
I remember getting lost in the first Professor Layton during a deep, low point. I think I used Toki Tori and good ole Tetris or AntiChamber and Portal 2 in similar fashions.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I really don't get depressed that much. For those rare occasions I usually like something that praises me for completing simple tasks and is comforting. Like Stardew Valley, which I also find calming. Usually if I'm down I'm more angry and frustrated than depressed. At that point catharsis dictates gameplay. A game where I can cruelly plan and execute terrible vengeance on my foes. Dishonored isn't bad for that, Fallout games are pretty good for that too. Trapt is another favorite, making Rube Goldberg machines of torture and death in Trapt is particularly satisfying.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I've been going through a rough patch this year, and the brain pacifier of choice has been the Souls games. As in the whole series, including Demon's. And Bloodborne. Twice.
Just run forward, die, and shoot or slice away your troubles.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Sometimes I load up one of the Unreal Tournaments and set bots to easy to have a good slaughterfest and unwind.

All the other times? Pilotwings 64.

A simpler time. A carefree time. And super relaxing to boot. Especially cruising around over a tropical island in a hang glider

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Elite Beat Agents. Aliens invaded Earth, you got your ass kicked and everything seems hopeless? Fuck that! Make an amazing comeback and return the favor with the power of friggin rock 'n roll!

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
gsilver said:
I've been going through a rough patch this year, and the brain pacifier of choice has been the Souls games. As in the whole series, including Demon's. And Bloodborne. Twice.
Just run forward, die, and shoot or slice away your troubles.
I guess I've used Bloodborne in a similar manner in the past, though I should probably lay off it by now. I've already beaten it 4 times and platinum'd it.

On the other hand I've put over 100 hours into Dark Souls, during 3 playthroughs, yet I've never actually finished it. I think I get too caught up working towards a single goal, like a special sword or something, that I end up getting bored or something. Then when I want to play it again it feels like it has been far too long for me to pick up a save two thirds into the game, and I don't always feel like starting over from scratch.