Games in which you play as evil

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
No mention of Spec Ops: The Line?

You can definitely play as a ruthless hardass throughout most of the game.

Nismu

Mar 4, 2015
SW:TOR
Really loved how inquisitor had plenty choices to shock the other people. Sometimes even for just sake of shocking them.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
slo said:
Eh... Still no mention of the Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines?
Not only you are a blood sucker, doing a while lot of criminal activities, but the core mechanic of the game is keeping the whole vampire society hidden, allowing your kind to feed undisturbed.
You're right, you can be pretty damned evil in that game as long as you're careful not to loose too much humanity. Surprised it slipped my mind.

Amigastar

Any Color you like
Jul 19, 2007
There is a game from Obsidian Entertainment coming(the guys who made Pillars of Eternity) called Tyranny which is about being evil. PoE was great so i'm really excited for this one.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/15/11242476/tyranny-trailer-obsidian-entertainment-paradox-interactive

Wiggum Esquilax

Apr 22, 2015
The Neverwinter Nights 2 Official Campaign may not be very evilable, but the Mask of the Betrayer expansion basically allows you to go for the maximum evil imaginable.

Permanently imprisoning the souls of your enemies, neutral spirits, and even betraying your best friends, damning them all to the Wall of the Faithless. An indestructible barrier where souls go to be crushed and integrated into a hive mind, whose only desire is to keep dragging in more souls, because misery loves company.

Edit: You can even take your soul stealing to it's logical conclusion, declaring war on the gods and universe itself. Attacking and consuming everyone you want, everywhere. All optional of course.

Conversely, there's a part where progressing the story means giving over a tormented soul, trapped in crystal, and one who did nothing wrong, over to demons for an eternity of torment. Not even limited to the evil playthrough, as there's no way around it. Possibly the result of a truncated development cycle; your good and neutral aligned party members don't even try to stop you.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
Undertale comes to mind pretty quickly.
It definitely gives you a choice, and if you decide to kill everyone, it's because, at best, you wanted to see what would happen.

And if you go that route, it makes it quite clear who the heroes actually are.

In a similar vein, Lisa goes quite far in the evil direction, with the hero committing some downright despicable acts, and the player gets to drive the worst of it.
And the ending has the world assemble its greatest heroes as they fight to their last breath in utter terror of one of the greatest threat they've ever faced: you

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
EVE Online.

Oh what's that? Your officer-module fitted carrier cost 15 billion ISK, it's your corps' only capital ship, it took two months of grinding to get your hands on, and the maintenance bay is full of T3 cruisers? My, it would just be a tragedy if something were to happen to it. A hilarious tragedy.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Mangod said:
Shadowrun: Hong Kong also gives you the option to play as a complete bastard, and arguably makes it far more monstrous:

One of the endings has you feed half your running team, including your adoptive brother and father, as well as the entire Kowloon Walled City-slum (which houses at least a million people) to Qian Ya [http://halycon450.deviantart.com/art/Qian-Ya-the-Queen-with-a-Thousand-Teeth-560427998] in return for 14 years of good fortune.
At least the bad guy of Dragonfall thought he was doing good; here, you just screw over everyone for your own gain exclusively.

Shadowrun had some great bad guy things to do :)

And I'll second Dungeon Keeper for being deliciously hammy Evil.
You have to remember that in Shadowrun it kind of spits on the idea of conventional morality. Things are beyond good and evil. For example, trashing a megacorp division headquarters might net you a princely sum, but arguably millions suffer due to those fractions of a percent off the share price reflected in their already unliveable wages and 'entitlements' ... with massive layoffs and even corporate assassinations of managers and their key staffers.

The world and the interconnectivity of man, in a universe that is decidedly uncaring if you live or die, make any small action inevitably beyond a moral argument because someone somewhere suffers for your survival. More likely hundreds of people. The moral virtue of Shadowrun lay is simply the means to survive without sacrificing one's autonomy. That's the only moral guideline, and the world itself means most people MUST fail in this pursuit.

Cheng says it best at the end of the game; she basically tells you that you and your efforts: Give it a day and nobody will give a shit.

(Edit) Ultimately, in Shadowrun there's a moral argument to be had that helping Ku Feng become the 'Vampire Queen' of Reulse Bay and living off the rewards of that is superior to the weekly raids you and your partners commit against the multiplicity of A, AA or the occasional AAA corporation hits ... the best argument for killing her is merely that they're a walking parasite. But even if she killed a person each night due her bloodlust and maintained a growing personality cult, it will still make less of a dent in the social fabric or the capacity to inflict harm as a skilled runner raiding corporate facilities every Thursday night.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Well, I guess games you play as Satan or something similar qualify as Evil.

Lucius game series is a strong example. Being the son of Satan is 100% Evil.

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
Pretty much any Metroid game will do, I mean I know Samus is supposed to be the heroine, but let's just look at what she actually does.

She's driven at least two intelligent species to extinction, the Ing and the X. She decided that she knew them well enough to condemned their entire races to death mere hours after learning that they even existed.

She's destroyed at least three planets, Dark Aether, Phaze, and SR 388. She's a one woman extinction event.

Every time she visits a new planet, she bombs the crap out of irreplaceable alien artifacts in search of missile tanks, and uses the missiles to terrorize the local wildlife.

I'd start with Metroid Prime 2, that seems to be the one Samus is the most obviously evil in.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
ObserverStatus said:
Pretty much any Metroid game will do, I mean I know Samus is supposed to be the heroine, but let's just look at what she actually does.

She's driven at least two intelligent species to extinction, the Ing and the X. She decided that she knew them well enough to condemned their entire races to death mere hours after learning that they even existed.

She's destroyed at least three planets, Dark Aether, Phaze, and SR 388. She's a one woman extinction event.

Every time she visits a new planet, she bombs the crap out of irreplaceable alien artifacts in search of missile tanks, and uses the missiles to terrorize the local wildlife.

I'd start with Metroid Prime 2, that seems to be the one Samus is the most obviously evil in.
You know who shares that opinion? TB:

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows DLC. This is a free DLC where you play as one of the villains: Plague Knight. It's pretty much playing as a cartoon villain (which even includes having a secret hideout with a ridiculously impractical way to access in), but I think it's well executed.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Raddra said:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

You play as Marche, who's sole quest is to bring about Armageddon in the world he's in, re-cripple his friend who got out of his wheelchair and erase the existence of the person who calls you his best friend.
Wheelchair kid is his little brother. Otherwise yes, he wants to ruin everything for everyone else, he's the only one unhappy there and even then he isn't that unhappy, just conflicted and destroys Ivalice just to be a dick.

OT: Infamous 1 does have an evil story but they lead to similar conclusions.

In Skyrim I roleplayed as a straight up chaotic evil jerkbag, murdered everything that got in front of me, questioned why I was stealing all their shit in broad daylight, or otherwised interfered in my harvest of the innocent for power.

In Killzone 3 the ISA are the villains and no you can't convince me that glassing an entire planet is something the heroes would do to a far more interesting people who only wanted expansion because the ISA fucked them over so hard in the first place.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
The White Hunter said:
Raddra said:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

You play as Marche, who's sole quest is to bring about Armageddon in the world he's in, re-cripple his friend who got out of his wheelchair and erase the existence of the person who calls you his best friend.
Wheelchair kid is his little brother. Otherwise yes, he wants to ruin everything for everyone else, he's the only one unhappy there and even then he isn't that unhappy, just conflicted and destroys Ivalice just to be a dick.

OT: Infamous 1 does have an evil story but they lead to similar conclusions.

In Skyrim I roleplayed as a straight up chaotic evil jerkbag, murdered everything that got in front of me, questioned why I was stealing all their shit in broad daylight, or otherwised interfered in my harvest of the innocent for power.

In Killzone 3 the ISA are the villains and no you can't convince me that glassing an entire planet is something the heroes would do to a far more interesting people who only wanted expansion because the ISA fucked them over so hard in the first place.
Yeah, the only way you can glass a planet (or something equally destructive) amd still be the "good guy" is if the planet is getting eaten by Tyranids or something similar, where NOT commiting planetcide would have even worse results.

Still, Warhammer 40,000. Because even the least evil faction are still Nazis.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I'm totally not saying this because the Zaibatsu is playing it right now, but The Punisher with the uncut patch will satisfy most murder boners.
While Frank doesn't consider himself "evil"...he's pretty savage.

Djorgal

May 1, 2016
Thanks everyone, lots of great ideas, some of which I'm going to try out really soon. I edited my first post to add lots of the game that were mentionned.

Frankster said:
There was actually a really awesome trilogy of modules that basically follow on straight from the evil ending and has you starting out in your evil castle twirling your moustache as your dark forces lay siege to all that's good.
Do you happen to remember the name of that module? Teasing me like that, it's not fair.

slo said:
Eh... Still no mention of the Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines?
Not only you are a blood sucker, doing a whole lot of criminal activities, but the core mechanic of the game is keeping the whole vampire society hidden, allowing your kind to feed undisturbed.
That game is great, one of my favorite. But you aren't evil. Your character mostly just tries to survive and is in way over his head. You're a chump that everyone manipulates.
Sure you're a vampire, but that's not your fault.

Speaking of vampires the game Vampire the Masquerade : Redemption allows you for a very dark ending. Almost forces you to it if you didn't keep hold of your humanity.

1-800-STFU

Jun 8, 2008
There needs to be more games where it is ambiguous to if you are evil or good...

I usually have way more fun playing a neutral path rather than a strict good/evil path.

There are plenty of games that show you an evil path (Fable, Mass Effect, Infamous) but it's usually SO horribly evil that there isn't a shred of doubt it is wrong. I want evil for the sake of a good reason to make it an actual difficult choice.