Games into tv shows.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Sly Cooper.

Yes, I know there's an animated movie of Sly Cooper coming, but no, I would prefer a tv series. Kevin Miller (Sly's voice actor in the games) even joined in with the fans before all this movie talk and said a tv series would be awesome and gave the fan discussions a seal of approval.

Think about it, everything about this show would translate better to a tv show than a movie. The games are about planning and prepping for a big heist by doing many other small preparations, and those big heists are a build up for an even bigger heist. We have 5 villains (and Carmelita) in the first game, each carrying something Sly needs to progress to the next foe. If you're going to put an effort into exploring the various villains, tools, abilities, relationships, and such, episodic formats will do it best. Not enough time in a 2.5 hour movie to give everyone enough development and to give enough respect to the individual heists. Considering Sly Cooper games are ABOUT stealth and thieving, it wouldn't make sense to just stop at Clockwerk (and it would make their final meeting less meaningful).

Hell, even in the games each heist is separated by a cheesy episode name.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
If Grand Theft Auto were a miniseries on FX or HBO, I'd actually pay a monthly subscription to watch it.
Deadly Premonition would be an awesome (though probably rip-off of The X Files) show.
Monkey Island, if it were written with a lot of wit could be an incredible animated show.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I think the Stick of Truth could make a really good cartoon. Although I'm not quite sure why...

Anyways, for serious now, I would totally watch Paper Mario: the Animation. Each chapter could be a different episode or something, I dunno. But Paper Mario is a series brimming with charm, and a cartoon would be the perfect introduction for the younger kiddies into the Mushroom Kingdom. Or maybe Rogue Legacy, where each episode chronicles the adventures of the next descendant, and ends with them dying.

On a more anime note, Katawa Shoujo.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Darks Souls could make an awesome Berserk style anime. They could pull from a lot of the earlier lore that's alluded to in the game, like Artorius the Abyss-walker.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Bioshock would make a great multi-perspective character drama when set to pre-Atlas vs. Ryan days, and perhaps culminating in the tragedy of the riots. It could show how Rapture went wrong in many different ways and show different areas.

Borderlands would make a great action-comedy animated series, or perhaps miniseries preferably.

captcha: time will tell. Yes it usually has done so for adaptations of video games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Elfgore said:
Anyway, I would love to see a Ratchet & Clank TV show. It would be hilarious with Quark getting in his hijinks and being his usual quarky self. Add Dr.Nefarious being well... nefarious and you have a perfect show.
Yep, this is what I came to say.

The perfect way to do it would be to give it a Samurai Pizza Cats style anime. Just nonsensical, episode-to episode wackiness.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I'd like to see a mini-series that goes through the events that take place before the Portal games start. The games do a great job of telling a story through the remains of Aperture Science, but I think it would be awesome to see those events in action : p

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Fallout would make for an awesome show.

Not necessarily the same main plot of any of the games (in fact it would be better if it didn't do that) but it could borrow ideas from side quests for episode plots since there are usually multiple ways to resolve those. It could start with several protagonists from different backgrounds all on their own journeys through the Wasteland but their paths could cross from time to time and their actions could affect each other. The setting of ruins, radiation, super mutants, militia, raiders/slavers, struggling survivors - I think it could all work really well!

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
I can see Legend of Zelda working as a mini-series or, an anime. Each season could take place during each of the Zelda games.
Be careful what you wish for;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda_(TV_series)

I haven't actually seen it but have heard from numerous people that it's painful to watch - particularly with Links infamous catchphrase. Maybe that's why it only got 13 episodes...

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
Bioshock is a really good candidate for a TV Show, i would say a miniseries format with a good start and a good end.
Another suggestion is maybe not so known, but the Gothic-Series of Games are really really good and would tie in the Game of Thrones Style.
Whoever does not know them: It is a Series of medieval fantasy RPGs, there is a war with the orcs and you get thrown into a mining colony with a magical dome around it.
Still my favourite RPG of all time and there is a whole micro-world to explore with different camps, magic, myths and monsters.

edit: And of course an Elder Scrolls TV show could be a blast if done right....

Nemusus

Jun 10, 2013
I'd like to see The Last of Us as a T.V show in a miniseries format, the way BBC did Sherlock. I've heard about the movie, but still... I have my doubts, to say the least. The Last of Us seems like something that'd be better with a longer time frame to tell the story in, y'know? Dishonored, though, I could see that as a decent action movie... Fairly stereotypical plot, but with the magic and the combat, the action scenes would definitely have a lot of potential. OOH, OOH, an Assassin's Creed tv series where each season tells the tale of a different ancestor of a modern day hero, ideally not Desmond-personality of a wet paper bag- Miles. So you'd have licence to go from the Crusades to the Renaissance to the French Revolution... all those interesting scenarios they throw in the Animus Codex but never let you play through? Maybe this could tell the story of some of them, that'd be cool.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I've always wanted to see Exile/Avernum possibly Geneforge as TV shows.

Or Blade Kitten, for something rather less serious.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Hero of Lime said:
Halo would work well, and what do ya know? They will be making that one series they talked about at E3. It should be simple, but I could see them messing it up somehow. CGI would be best I think considering there are so many inhuman characters, plus we could keep any and all well known voice actors. Basically, just make a show just like the cutscenes from Halo Wars, that would be the best case scenario.
Strictly speaking, that already exists in Halo Legends, they have CGI short stories in it as well as anime bits, think of animatrix, and you're pretty much there.

Here's one of them, Halo Legends: Homecoming, the only real anime adaptation of Halo there has been so far.

senordesol said:
Chrono Trigger.

I mean...it's old enough that it might actually be new to a few people.
Most people don't know this, but there was an anime OVA...

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
A TV show from universe x, but NOT involving any main characters:
- Fallout
- The Elder Scrolls
- War/Starcraft
- Mass Effect
- Thedas

What I am not keen on is retelling the protagonist's story from game x.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
shogunblade said:
Deadly Premonition would be an awesome (though probably rip-off of The X Files) show.
No, it would be a rip off of Twin Peaks.

Something that can actually happen? A Mass Effect series would be nice. It's too long for a movie but with each episode dedicated to 1 party member plus a few for the main plot it could work.
Something that I would like to see? Alan Wake would be nice.