Games/mechanics that make you feel "badass"

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
The first Batman Arkham game, you hang upside down on a gargoyle waiting for one of the goons to come under you then you snap him up and leave him hanging around for his buddies to find, then you cut the rope and scare his buddies more as you hop around. Then you wait on another gargoyle for another vic... I mean goon and then repeat until there is one goon left and you can probably smell the poor guy crapping his pants in fear.

The Junk Jet from Fallout 3 and 4, you haven't lived until you kill a guy with a teddy bear or another "harmless" object.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The parry mechanic for MG: Rising, Bayonetta, and Royal Guard from DMC 3 & 4. Nothing is more cool than countering an all powerful attack and (nearly) taking out an out an entire bosses life bar or negating their attack(s). It is the parry mechanic from Street Fighter III in a 3D beat'em up form. What more can you ask fore?

Dodging in Killer Is Dead and Bayonetta. When fighting in life, you have to learn when to DDOOODDDGGGGEEE!

Serious Sam, you using almost every single weapon you can in a lengthy 15-25 minute battle against a 1000 enemies. The minigun, rocket/grenade launcher, shotguns, and etc.

The glory kills in Doom 4. Nothing more needs to be said.

Rocket sliding and smoking to distract robots in Vanquish. That is why this game is the best third-person shooter in the 7th generation of consoles.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
Ezekiel said:
Gore is also cool, and sadly underused and too simplistic.
I can't think of a game that did gore well. In games, I tend to find gore funny, especially when you hunt down the pieces and you see a hand just sitting there on the floor.
Surprisingly enough, CoD: W@W had some good de-limbing effects, as did Dead Space. Killzone 2 had nice melon-popping headshots. But overall yeah, there isn't enough significance to the gore.

I want to see games advance to where the type of weapon you use more accurately corresponds to what type of damage is done, and this damage would appropriately affect enemies' functions as well as appearance.

I'd like to see whatever From Software does next implementing a more tactical combat system like this.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Any soulsgame(including Nioh) you do nothing but fight monstrous enemies and leviathan like bosses but despite all the hardships and losses you can still come out on top and with that you feel like the baddest motherf%^ker ever.

Also Zero Horizon Dawn, especially when you take down the dinosaur robots with good hunting techniques.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Arkham gameplay makes you feel like a boss. Also Bullet Time in general (no mention yet?).

Oct 22, 2011
Saelune said:
Power stealth. Games like Hitman and Dishonored, where you are to be feared, not someone who is hiding in fear.
Ditto. The highlight of first Arkham game for example was in the archives, where i could take down one mook by one and oberve the rest slowly loosing it.

Other than that, i don't know, unique finishers after a long, exhausting boss fight?

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Grim Reaper's Sprint, especially the completely broken version from Fallout 3. The party don't stop till every body hits the door.

Colossus Climb. Something about weaponized rock climbing and being able to ride my enemy all the way to the ground is SO satisfying.

When you meet an enemy that was boss level at the start of the game and you just wipe the floor with them because you finally have good weapons/leveled up/got the timing down.

Paradoxically, when you lose all the good gear you've been relying on and have to use what you can find it just makes the kills you get mean so much more.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Good sound design is important to making something feel badass to me. 2 pretty bad games illustrate this well. Borderlands, a boring and repetitive game where the sound design makes at least the revolvers and machine guns viscerally satisfying to use because of decent sound design. The revolvers roar like the dy357s in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (the most viscerally satisfying guns in video games ever.) Then BL 2 came along and changed out all the weapon sound effects with pathetic embarrassed muffled coughs of sound. And suddenly BL 1 seems like a halfway playable game by comparison.

Groxnax said:
The first Batman Arkham game, you hang upside down on a gargoyle waiting for one of the goons to come under you then you snap him up and leave him hanging around for his buddies to find, then you cut the rope and scare his buddies more as you hop around. Then you wait on another gargoyle for another vic... I mean goon and then repeat until there is one goon left and you can probably smell the poor guy crapping his pants in fear.

The Junk Jet from Fallout 3 and 4, you haven't lived until you kill a guy with a teddy bear or another "harmless" object.
I love the Junk Jet. Or more specifically the Rock-It launcher. I didn't do it in FO 4, but in FO 3 I specialized an entire character and dedicated him exclusively for using the Rock-It. My go to were: pool balls to the balls ("rack em' up,") wrenches ("if you can dodge a wrench you ca... oh") and my personal favorite, the wad of pre-war money ("MAKE IT RAIN... dude, that's not how you make it rain.")

And I play just about any game where you can move bodies with that Arkham style fear reaction from npc's going on in my head. I will spend minutes arranging a funny situation for an npc to blunder into. Well, funny for me... I imagine its pretty terrifying for the poor NPC unlucky enough to find some of the nightmare crime scenes I walk away from.

WorgenHunter

Feb 25, 2017
I'm surprised no one mentioned bullet time, nothing is better than leaping out of cover and mowing down a horde of baddies in slow motion.
Casting spells has always been really awesome to me as well, especially in games like Fable or Skyrim, where you can just decimate any poor sods that are unfortunate enough to walk into the radius of your magic.

Felstaff

Sep 19, 2011
bartholen said:
Gimme moar exempelz, puh-leeze.
This is a counter-example, because it didn't make me feel badass, just inadequate every time I tried to emulate it. The intro to Crysis had the nanosuited super-soldier snipe a speeding jeep tyre, sending the vehicle up into the air, at which point said soldier switched to maximum strength, batted away the jeep, leaped over another speeding jeep whilst taking out the entire crew (making it skid to a stop), at which point he took aim and shot the fuel cap; the resulting explosion of which took out a nearby helicopter.

Now, Crysis was a cool game, that made you feel badass, but at no point could I execute such a complex manoeuvre as was promised in the intro. Any scene involving four or more combatants regularly resulted in me running in circles firing indiscriminately. Or I'd find a rock to hide behind and take them out as they approached, one by one.

The first time I effectively used bullet time in Max Payne, managing to dive into a room and take out three bad guys with a single between-the-eyes shot each before I hit the ground. That was badassery, to the point where I turned around hoping someone was there to witness what a cool dude I was. Of course I died swiftly afterwards, and any further attempts at repeating my slow-motion-one-jump-three-bullet-triple-kill were met with bemusement from the enemies, who like to shout out 'Payne!' a lot before running in loose circles without turning their bodies away from the prone boss-eyed Max who just jumped head-first into a wall again.

bartholen_v1legacy

Jan 24, 2009
WorgenHunter said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned bullet time, nothing is better than leaping out of cover and mowing down a horde of baddies in slow motion.
I'd guess people kind of got sick of it considering how inundated gaming was with it at one point. Come to think of it, we haven't really seen a big budget game with bullet time as a central mechanic in a while, have we?

I'll add successful stealth to this list. Playing a stealth character in Skyrim to a high enough skill level to be almost invisible, and then clearing an entire room of high level enemies with single backstabs (Assassin's Blade + Shrouded gloves = broken game) without them even noticing you're there is the closest I've ever felt to feeling like a legit ninja in a game. Or sneaking through an entire level without raising a single alarm in a game like Splinter Cell.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the health regen mechanic in Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. Your shields/armor regenerates, but your health does not. In order to heal, you had to stun an enemy and perform a special execution attack on them in order to get health back.

Cover is for pussies; a real man wades into melee combat and curbstomps Orks until there aren't any more Orks to kill.

Surely Khorne approves of this method of healing, and I wish more games did it.

ZodiacMaster101

Jul 6, 2010
Game mechanics that allow you absorb enemy fire, and then redirect it back at them. Best example is the vortex shield in Titanfall 1 and 2. I always feel really badass when I absorb the missiles fired off by Tone's core ability, shoot it all back into her face, and then proceed to finish Tone off with a combination of primary fire, melee attacks, and a titan execution.

bartholen_v1legacy

Jan 24, 2009
Not necessarily a mechanic, but a while back in GR: Wildlands I was stirring shite up in a small, remote desert town, and drew the attention of the Bolivian task force known as UNIDAD. The result of said shite proceeded to get real rather quickly, and it is wasn't long before I realized my four man squad would probably soon be severely outgunned. I booked it over to my lowly chopper, trying to avoid as much attention as possible on the way to facilitate a successful takeoff.

It was futile attempt. UNIDAD had picked up on the whirring of my propellers and started laying down heavy machine gun fire my way from their own, vastly superior chopper. While I was at least able to get airborne, it wasn't long before my rig started smoking and sputtering from the damage, but not before I was able to gain an elevation advantage, and maneuver directly above them. All I can remember thinking was, "If you sons of bitches are gonna take me down, then I'm taking you down with me!"

As fate would have it, my chopper finally sputtered its last breath right when I was directly about 30' above them; enough elevation to come crashing down to ruin their day. My choppah vertically collided in a mad, desperate descent onto their props, causing them to tear apart and spark like an overloaded transformer on a power line. It appeared to happen almost in slow motion as both of our vertically tangled rigs came crashing down in a glorious symphony of smoke, fire and destruction. The best part is, I was able to escape before my chopper exploded on top of its unlikely prey.

So, in short, I'd say that sometimes random acts of desperation that somehow end in spectacular fashion can feel pretty badass.

jedisensei

Nov 23, 2009
Just Cause 2. The grapple/parachute mechanics were in no way believable but led to delightful, cartoonish antics that left you feeling like the master of badass, even at level one.

Even though it grew old pretty quickly and was overpowered and out-of-place in it's own universe, the super Force Push in Force Unleashed HAD to make you feel like the ultimate, Force-using badass.