Games Now Legally Considered an Art Form (in the USA)

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Dango said:
I still don't really get why everyone thinks games have to be art.

Edit: Stop quoting this post. Reading through dozens of quotes all saying roughly the same thing gets old, disregard this post and write something that actually contributes to the discussion.

Double Edit: No seriously, stop it.
So you are allowed to say something that is undeniably stupid and irrelevant, and you expect people to not to actively disagree with you? Are you new to the Internet? I thought with that many posts you'd be used to this kind of things.
Regardless, the question of whether video games is art is actually the greater question of what art actually is. Consider the classic dadaist urinal installation in the 20s or 30s, was it art? Some say yes, some say no, while all that's clearly shown is that the word "art" is meaningless.
All that's important is that games aren't relegated to "kids' games"

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
maxben said:
Dango said:
I still don't really get why everyone thinks games have to be art.

Edit: Stop quoting this post. Reading through dozens of quotes all saying roughly the same thing gets old, disregard this post and write something that actually contributes to the discussion.

Double Edit: No seriously, stop it.
So you are allowed to say something that is undeniably stupid and irrelevant, and you expect people to not to actively disagree with you? Are you new to the Internet? I thought with that many posts you'd be used to this kind of things.
Being so smug really doesn't help you out here.

No I'm not new to the internet. I've just been quoted enough times to hear every opinion there is in this thread, so one more person quoting me to say explain why they think I'm wrong in the exact say way so many others already did, rather than contributing to the discussion of the topic at hand, is pretty irritating.

MoD1212

Feb 2, 2010
Some of the best news I've heard all week (its better all the Controversy bout Al Queda)

Seriously tho wats wit some of the gamers on here asking y games have to be art?
saying that video games are art isn't saying that every game needs the artistic value of the Mona Lisa, just that the media has the potential to be art and can be protected for that reason.

And honestly that is great news for gamers (atleast us American until more this happens in more countries) so don't worry this won't stop your GTA and Call of Duties, just like movies being consider art didn't stop all god awful parody movies
I'm just wanting for the Citizen Kane of the video game world now :)

IvoryTowerGamer

Feb 24, 2011
Dango said:
No I'm not new to the internet. I've just been quoted enough times to hear every opinion there is in this thread, so one more person quoting me to say explain why they think I'm wrong in the exact say way so many others already did, rather than contributing to the discussion of the topic at hand, is pretty irritating.
OCC, after hearing so many differing opinions, have you changed your mind at all? If so, maybe you should edit your original post to reflect that. I'm pretty sure people will stop posting then.

PiCroft

He who waits behind the wall
Mar 12, 2009
Awesome work America.

Does this mean it will be harder for games to be banned/regulated in the USA? If its an art, won't it fall under free speech protections now?

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
Bugerion said:
Imagine having a mad man making a shittastic game and everyone says its ''art'' like whith the paintings.Doubt it will happen but it would be funny :p
I have no problem with people occasionally making games that you need to be educated in the area in order to understand occassionally.

Char-Nobyl said:
I can't wait for the inevitable rebuttal from Roger Ebert. That ought to be a fun read.

Lol, actually he already made a retraction and adopted a definition of art that can include video games.