Games of E3 2012

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Would you mind fixing the full Most Wanted preview's link? It goes to Lego City Undercover for some weird reason.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
leet_x1337 said:
Would you mind fixing the full Most Wanted preview's link? It goes to Lego City Undercover for some weird reason.
Fixed! Thanks for the heads up.

a745

Mar 8, 2012
I'd just like to point out that the screenshots you put up for this preview are all for Persona 4 Arena, not Persona 4 Golden.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
We did see Watch Dogs during our Ubisoft appointment, but it was literally exactly what was shown in the press conference. We didn't get any new information about it, ergo, we don't have a separate write up for it. Believe me, we wanted to get our hands on it as much as you do, but it simply wasn't going to happen.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Deadspace 3 is the most dissapointing game I've seen in a long time. This must be how others felt when Resident Evil 5 came out.

Let's make Deadspace like Gears of War! And Lost Planet! Horror? No way that's boring! We need them tossing around one liners instead of having brilliant sound design like the previous two games!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Snotnarok said:
Deadspace 3 is the most dissapointing game I've seen in a long time. This must be how others felt when Resident Evil 5 came out.

Let's make Deadspace like Gears of War! And Lost Planet! Horror? No way that's boring! We need them tossing around one liners instead of having brilliant sound design like the previous two games!
I know. They removed everything that made Dead Space special. I understand and sympathize that it must be tough to keep finding ways to scare people, but "make this a shooter" is not the right answer. Soooooo disappointing.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Snotnarok said:

I know. They removed everything that made Dead Space special. I understand and sympathize that it must be tough to keep finding ways to scare people, but "make this a shooter" is not the right answer. Soooooo disappointing.
I don't really know about that, the devs are really creative and have made some of the most memorable moments in gameplay in this genre where my mind was blown.

Start with a new guy, he could be working on a cruse-liner, working out on the hull for a few hours, he tries to check in and nothing, he goes into the ship and find no one, then he finds blood, then he finds ...well, from there things go down hill.

There's so many things they could do, and after the first two games I totally see the potential, I mean even the wii game had it's charm despite the type of game.

Co-op is something I love but in this game it can only be a killer to any kind of horror.

How do you feel on the co-op in horror games?

Could the game be good? Sure but I'm worried.

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Snotnarok said:
Co-op is something I love but in this game it can only be a killer to any kind of horror.
I actually thought Capcom combined co-op and horror very well in the Resident Evil 5 DLC, Lost in Nightmares. They did it largely by taking away both players' ammo and introducing insta-kill enemies. Each player had to work together to trap/kill the enemies, but they were separated spatially and could not protect each other.

So you had to coordinate (using voice chat) to solve puzzles, but your respective characters were vulnerable and effectively alone while several hulking and exceedingly dangerous enemies stalked the map. Much frantic running and screaming ensue.

I think it's totally possible for co-op to work in horror games. My hopes are not up in this case though, seeing what they've done to the rest of it. On the bright side, I kind of like sci-fi co-op shooters.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Snotnarok said:
Susan Arendt said:
Snotnarok said:

I don't really know about that, the devs are really creative and have made some of the most memorable moments in gameplay in this genre where my mind was blown.

Start with a new guy, he could be working on a cruse-liner, working out on the hull for a few hours, he tries to check in and nothing, he goes into the ship and find no one, then he finds blood, then he finds ...well, from there things go down hill.

There's so many things they could do, and after the first two games I totally see the potential, I mean even the wii game had it's charm despite the type of game.

I'm dubious about co-op in horror. Things aren't scary when you have backup, because the illusion of vulnerability vanishes. In real life, being with others can amplify fear, because everyone is in danger, but you're not really in danger while gaming. You're more likely to get annoyed when someone screws up, because they're hurting your gameplay experience, whereas in real life their screw up might actually hurt you.

It's possible it could work, but I have definite doubts.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Snotnarok said:
Susan Arendt said:
Snotnarok said:

I'm dubious about co-op in horror. Things aren't scary when you have backup, because the illusion of vulnerability vanishes. In real life, being with others can amplify fear, because everyone is in danger, but you're not really in danger while gaming. You're more likely to get annoyed when someone screws up, because they're hurting your gameplay experience, whereas in real life their screw up might actually hurt you.

It's possible it could work, but I have definite doubts.
Yeah I feel the same way...I mean the biggest scare was in Deadspace where you had shot everyone, or so you thought because the scary music ONLY plays when you have the enemy in view so when you do, AGH!! Scary music, scary face! Panic shoot at thing many times! Now? Hey man, you got a monster behind you, let me take care of that for you.

Or ...from the games end they'll just exchange witty lines because Issac has gone from Engineer to mental patient to intergalactic badass.

kitsuta said:
Snotnarok said:
I actually thought Capcom combined co-op and horror very well in the Resident Evil 5 DLC, Lost in Nightmares. They did it largely by taking away both players' ammo and introducing insta-kill enemies. Each player had to work together to trap/kill the enemies, but they were separated spatially and could not protect each other.

So you had to coordinate (using voice chat) to solve puzzles, but your respective characters were vulnerable and effectively alone while several hulking and exceedingly dangerous enemies stalked the map. Much frantic running and screaming ensue.

I think it's totally possible for co-op to work in horror games. My hopes are not up in this case though, seeing what they've done to the rest of it. On the bright side, I kind of like sci-fi co-op shooters.
I would love to agree with you, but nothing about Resident Evil 5 was scary and I get scared when playing Minecraft. RE5 was fantastic but there wasn't a single moment where I jumped, and instakill enemies just make the game cheap in my mind.

I mean feel free to disagree, but to me co-op take away any possibly horror because nothing can ever sneak up on you, and if they separate you from your ally it just winds up with cheap kills and game overs. :\

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
E3 had quite a few games I was interested in this time around.

To me the big announcement I was excited about was the official unveil of Project Happiness. I've been interested in that one for a while now.

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Snotnarok said:
I would love to agree with you, but nothing about Resident Evil 5 was scary and I get scared when playing Minecraft. RE5 was fantastic but there wasn't a single moment where I jumped, and instakill enemies just make the game cheap in my mind.

I mean feel free to disagree, but to me co-op take away any possibly horror because nothing can ever sneak up on you, and if they separate you from your ally it just winds up with cheap kills and game overs.
Hmm, well people definitely have different ideas of what makes a good scare. I don't get scared at all in Minecraft even though I am objectively terrible at it and die constantly (I'm... impatient). I also respond poorly to jump scares, so "making me jump" is actually not even a horror game metric for me.

I much prefer atmosphere-based horror. The main content in Resident Evil 5 is, indeed, not the least bit scary because its atmosphere is bright and sunny Africa (and because you have all the guns). The Lost in Nightmares DLC is set in a super silent creepy mansion, which while cliche is much scarier and more tense to me than "there may be an enemy left that I will have to shoot with my 159205 bullets." I personally never found Dead Space to be that excellent of a horror franchise for this reason. There were definitely plenty of well-done creepy scenes, but there was too much pure fighting interspersed with it. Though as a disclaimer, I only ever finished Extraction. I also compare every horror game to Eternal Darkness, which is just a bit unfair.

I'm reticent to write off all co-op in horror games forever, but I agree that it has to be handled really carefully or not done at all.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
I'm rather excited about Dishonoured. It appears to be a lot more dark and depraved than I originally thought. I also like how the trailer has a nice montage of throat slitting/head stabbing towards the end, just so I don't forget how to kill people when I eventually play the game.

Disappointed that Dead Space 3 has gone down the cover-based shooter route, but I guess co-op is the next logical step for the franchise. The first two weren't particularly efficient horror games as there's only a certain amount of times a Necromorph can burst out of a vent before it becomes less a surprise and more a lesson in tedium. But I hope they do recapture a lot of the psychological horror of the first two games. I want Isaac's new buddy to flip the hell out!

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Those new necromorphs look really freaky. i'v heard of bodies being mummified by the cold but....yeeck.

also did i see necromorph soldier holding a gun?