Games on Mac

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
what Chumba corssover is very good i use it on linux and its great sofrware. not as good as running my windows games in windows but if you dont have windows its a good program to use.

EDIT:
sirdanrhodes said:
Wait, what about virtual box?
Virtual box is the worst way to play games on another os it just cant get the power needed. works fine for small web servers or getting some easy programs running like microsoft word or a VPN program but other then that its useless for gaming.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Well, the last time I was in a MAC store, they had Warcraft 2 and Quake 3, and that was a good seven years after Warcraft 2 had come out, and three years after Quake 3 had come out, so I'm pretty sure they have video poker, battle chess, and a knock off of minesweeper at this point. Not to make fun, but the MAC is a terrible gaming console, and the market penetration for gamers is almost nil, so most companies won't take the time to make a game MAC compatible. Some users will take the time to port a PC game to it, but it's not terribly common. The only devs I've seen that really care about the MAC platform are Id and Blizzard, hence you get Warcraft, Doom, and Quake. There's always WINE though.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Allstar309 said:
I didnt even know mac had and games. If you wanted to play games why did you get a Mac? seems wierd to me but what evs.
a)OSX is more reliable
b)OSX doesn't have a key that fucks over your game for no reason
c)OSX won't quit your game randomly because it considers some useless update to be more important

A couple of good mac games are:
Spore*
Homeworld 2
Multiwinia
Any game by Spiderweb Software,Ambrosia Software or Blizzard Entertainment
Command and Conquer 3:Tiberium Wars
Command and Conquer Generals:)Zero Hour)

*of course I will now be swarmed by zealots demanding I mindlessly hate it because of DRM *shockhorror*

CroMagnon

Dec 7, 2009
Aeshi said:
Allstar309 said:
I didnt even know mac had and games. If you wanted to play games why did you get a Mac? seems wierd to me but what evs.
a)OSX is more reliable
c)OSX won't quit your game randomly because it considers some useless update to be more important

Spore*
Homeworld 2
Multiwinia

*of course I will now be swarmed by zealots demanding I mindlessly hate it because of DRM *shockhorror*
... Sigh, thats about it. Run windows if you want to play games. Screw the erorrs.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Run bootcamp as long as you got this Mac in the last couple of years, and then you can play any Windows game on it.

Chumba

Nov 9, 2009
Filtertip said:
what Chumba corssover is very good i use it on linux and its great sofrware. not as good as running my windows games in windows but if you dont have windows its a good program to use.
As far as I'm aware, I wasn't saying it was crap. Just that it was an option for the OP. I'm glad you're finding it working well for Linux and that it's great software.

Volafortis

Oct 7, 2009
Get Escape Velocity, Escape Velocity Override, and Escape Velocity Nova.

The original is the best, and both the original and Override are Mac exclusive. Not to mention they are among my favorite games of all time. It's the only reason I regret not having a Mac anymore.

Also get Warcraft 3.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
In my experience on the mac you don't want to run Bootcamp or Crossover for anything more high tech than Starcraft era games.
There isn't that much you can play really unless you've got a iMac or something and have it maxed out in specs. I'm running a macbook and nothing runs at a decent framerate on it.
I spend most of my time playing browser games or actually using my consoles.
Good luck if you can get anything to work, let me know.

Volafortis

Oct 7, 2009
I got the original Escape Velocity to work on a 1989 original Mac OS with no drops ever in framerate, so it should work.

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
Chumba said:
As far as I'm aware, I wasn't saying it was crap
Im sorry Chumba i missed a word in my post was ment to be "what Chumba said corssover is very good" sorry i do that sometimes. i don't use corssover all the time as right now i do have windows 7 RC installed so my upgrade to x64 so far has been free software wise. but as i like to use linux more then windows having crossover there to run a few of my fav games is great dos'nt force me to reboot.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
You could try getting something that isn't a mac.

Nowadays you can get software that'll port games onto a mac system despite them not normally running on them.
Otherwise try getting an emulator and playing some old classic games.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Companies are finally starting to port games to Mac more often, but I gave in and just installed Windows XP through Bootcamp. Most current games run fine enough, I just wish I could get a video card with more then 128MB x_x

Otherwise, I know Dragon Age, Force Unleashed, Prince of Persia, and Sims all have Mac ports. And I'm still crossing my fingers that OnLive will work...

Contextualizer

Jan 8, 2010
Porting games to Mac OS X made more sense when Apple's computers were still using PowerPC processors, but now with everything moved on over to x86, it's just easier to go through BootCamp.

Jan 29, 2009
Aeshi said:
Allstar309 said:
a)OSX is more reliable

Spore*
Homeworld 2
Multiwinia

Yes, yes (I play on a brother's old PC occasionally, and that button is the death of me, not to mention hitting "Shift" 5 times brings up some stupid menu and suspends the game while you check "No, go away", and wait another 5 minutes for the damn game to boot up again!), and yes, it is just that only 1/10 of computer users have macintosh, so they don't bother making it for us. Jerks.

WillBiro

Aug 19, 2009
All the Warcrafts (except the 1st one)
Diablo 2
Heroes of Might and Magic 5
Plenty of emulator stuff

I've been on focusing on consoles pretty heavily for awhile now so I'm not totally sure about any newer titles except Starcraft 2 when it comes out.

Some depend on whether you're rocking an intel based Mac or a Power PC