Games on Trial, Part Two

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Games on Trial, Part Two

The gaming industry won a great victory today.

Read Full Article

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Archon said:
Publisher's Note: Games on Trial, Part Two

Read Full Article
Glad to see you weighing back in on this. It's really a notable victory for today. And, where tomorrow is concerned, this victory has also set a clear trajectory that will make it much harder to derail the industry's progress in the future.

Now all we need is some new electronic medium to take our place as "whipping boy," and we'll be all set!

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Dastardly said:
Archon said:

Read Full Article
Glad to see you weighing back in on this. It's really a notable victory for today. And, where tomorrow is concerned, this victory has also set a clear trajectory that will make it much harder to derail the industry's progress in the future.

Now all we need is some new electronic medium to take our place as "whipping boy," and we'll be all set!
Umm let's not I'd rather my kids not go through the same BS and mental "BAN IT" torture I had to go through to have fun and be entertained.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Dastardly said:
Archon said:

Read Full Article

Makes you wonder what electronic medium our generation is going to throw to the fire. We can sit here and say that it won't happen, but I'm sure previous generations would have said the same thing too.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
shadowmagus said:
Makes you wonder what electronic medium our generation is going to throw to the fire. We can sit here and say that it won't happen, but I'm sure previous generations would have said the same thing too.
Facebook. Or whatever the thing that replaces Facebook is.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
This is not just a victory for video games. Technology makes the possibilities for artistic expression seem endless and unpredictable. This ruling is a reaffirmation of our core values that will be used in the future to defend forms of expression that do not currently exist. Cool stuff you've never even heard of has been made possible by this ruling.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
shadowmagus said:
Dastardly said:
Archon said:

Read Full Article

My suspicion? Simulated reality, whether via helmet or "holo-deck." I mean, hell, we could already make several complaints about the extreme hazard of this technology, which would give our entertainment an unprecedented "direct line" to our brain stem...

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009

I feel the image speaks better than me but i don't want to make this an image board, hence me writing this.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Dastardly said:
Archon said:

Read Full Article

What scares me is that it will potentially be US whipping it ...

EricBC

Feb 27, 2009
That's good news for everybody in the industry and everybody that would enjoys the medium.

Having said that, is the ESRB going to make more of an attempt to try to enforce their own ratings? This whole nonsense started because the little kidlets could buy rated M games in the first place.

Before I get flamed, yes, I do think that it is a parent's responsibility to keep track of these things. But if the industry is doing more, then it makes us look good and we can hopefully avoid similar future shenanigans.

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
i thought that the original ban was to ban the selling of violent and sundry games to minors, surely that's not unconstitutional, that's just good sense. i don't get how it works on the States side of the pond, but over here in the UK, the law regarding the sale of inappropriate material to minors is quite clear, and wholly acceptable

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
You know what would be really great? If there was a clause in the constitution where any elected official who voted for legislation found to be unconstitutional was impeached, and if I had my way tried for treason. At the very least voting for unconstitutional legislation should be cause for civil class action so they get their asses sued off.

Because right now those cockgoblins can vote for any insane thing they want and there is no consequences to them whatsoever. Most of the time the case doesn't even make it through the courts until they are out of office.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
EricBC said:
That's good news for everybody in the industry and everybody that would enjoys the medium.

Having said that, is the ESRB going to make more of an attempt to try to enforce their own ratings? This whole nonsense started because the little kidlets could buy rated M games in the first place.

Before I get flamed, yes, I do think that it is a parent's responsibility to keep track of these things. But if the industry is doing more, then it makes us look good and we can hopefully avoid similar future shenanigans.
Actually, the FTC found that game retailers were more likely than any others to deny children access to adult-rated material, with an 80 percent success rate.

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
Not quite sure this decision has as much impact as this article states, and it might also have a little of the opposite effect on the image of gaming. Many people of the older generation view games as juvenile distractions, and advertising campaigns for games like Dead Space 2 further reinforce that image. Regardless of my own opinions on the subject, arguing that "minors should have the right to buy violent games" doesn't score any points for the medium. If anything, it further alienates the parents, who have a major impact on how children purchase and view games. Was the court decision correct? Yes. However, simply running to the court system to fix the bad law, and in essence giving parents the finger, the gaming industry has potentially dealt itself, and it's legitimacy, damage in how this situation was handled. Guess we'll see what the repercussions of this are in the coming months.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Clonekiller said:
Not quite sure this decision has as much impact as this article states, and it might also have a little of the opposite effect on the image of gaming. Many people of the older generation view games as juvenile distractions, and advertising campaigns for games like Dead Space 2 further reinforce that image. Regardless of my own opinions on the subject, arguing that "minors should have the right to buy violent games" doesn't score any points for the medium. If anything, it further alienates the parents, who have a major impact on how children purchase and view games. Was the court decision correct? Yes. However, simply running to the court system to fix the bad law, and in essence giving parents the finger, the gaming industry has potentially dealt itself, and it's legitimacy, damage in how this situation was handled. Guess we'll see what the repercussions of this are in the coming months.
That's the difficulty I've seen brought forth in many non game oriented media takes on this ruling as well, both on the media side and on the layman commentary side. As opposed to seeing this ruling for what it is, it definitely is getting some spin as the Supreme Court essentially saying "Mature games should be sold to kids!" We all know that this isn't the case and, if anything, now that there is more public knowledge about the ESRB in general (thanks to this case), I see even stores more likely to follow ESRB guidelines when selling. You are quite right, however, in saying that it's pretty easy to spin this the other way.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Roboto said:
Dastardly said:
Archon said:

Read Full Article

What scares me is that it will potentially be US whipping it ...
To be honest, I don't see it. We may decry the next generation of music as being garbage, as every generation does, but I imagine it will be our children who bring out the torches and pitchforks for a new medium. At the very least, I know that I won't be part of the scapegoat brigade. But then again, I'm already a parent and in my 30s.