Games on Trial

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Games on Trial

We evaluate the Supreme Court's position on whether games are protected by the First Amendment.

Read Full Article

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
How about if a parent doesn't want their kid to play a game they tell them they can't?

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
AC10 said:
How about if a parent doesn't want their kid to play a game they tell them they can't?
That would be responsible.

The problem is that this law is writen to "protect" parents that do not review what their children ask for. The parents that walk into Game stop with scribbled christmas lists and ask for games without understanding the ratings system or even looking at the ESRB designations.

As a parent who is an avid fan of the medium, I make it a point to keep my copies of M rated games put away and play them when my child is asleep. When he is around and he wants to play with his dad, I let him play drums on Lego Rock Band or we play some more rated E games. To me, it's common sense. To most of those who were born just 5 years before me, it's a mystery.

We have to accept that it is those people, around age 40 to 60, that are in charge of the country at the moment. Those people, who would never even look at the true experience behind a solid M rated game like Mass Effect or Bioshock, are just more prone to seeing a story about a game like Postal or Rape Lay and make sweeping generalizations because that is what ignorance breeds.

Even if we loose, in 5 to 10 years when a more informed generation comes to power these restrictions can be changed. It's just a matter of having people who actually care in the right place.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Were any of the arguments made in light of the already present self-labeling system, the type of thing that allowed movies, music and comics to avoid national censorship? The "M" on a game allows a parent to know what they are buying, as well as what is on their kids' shelves, at a glance, just like the DVDs and (ahem, out dated I know) CDs they have there. If we are talking about enjoining physical retailers in California (and anywhere else these control freak laws pass), that just gives a real advantage to digital and illegal means of getting the same content, which equals LESS REVENUE FOR THAT STATE TO TAX.

Smart move, Gulivornia.

Dan E

Jun 16, 2010
Jhereg42 said:
make sweeping generalizations because that is what ignorance breeds.
Exactly, and well also that we as gamers sort of don't always show that we are as intelligent and normal and behaved just like anyone else which hinders peoples opinion of us. not saying all of us are hooligans but those who are have a bigger impact than those of us who aren't.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Father Time said:
Jhereg42 said:
AC10 said:

The problem is that this law is writen to "protect" parents that do not review what their children ask for. The parents that walk into Game stop with scribbled christmas lists and ask for games without understanding the ratings system or even looking at the ESRB designations.
The CA law only affects kids who walk into gamestop and ask to buy games. If a parent buys violent games for their kids it's still legal.
No it doesn't. If it passes, given time parents won't be able to walk into GameStop and buy the game for their kids because GameStop won't stock the game. Neither will Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and so on.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
It's always postal 2 they go for.

Postal 2 is such a small blip on the gaming radar that it really shouldn't even be in the debate. It's ancient, we all know it's horrible, and its gimmick doesn't last long even in the hands of children. But politicians LOVE it, because they can point to it and say "Look at that horrible games industry, look what they did".

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I'll support this law as soon as the same restrictions is applied to all other forms of speech, media, and art. Since that will never happen (nor can it), then i won't ever support this law.

The Supreme Court struck down the Crush Video ban. Those are actual video captures of animals being crushed by high-heel shoes for the purpose of sexual gratification. If the Supreme Court considers this type of media to be protected speech, then i can't ever see how violent video games couldn't be. (love the double negative)

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Father Time said:
Jhereg42 said:
The CA law only affects kids who walk into gamestop and ask to buy games. If a parent buys violent games for their kids it's still legal.
Honestly this is where I think the danger from the law can come in. I mean, how often is a parent not there, and how often will a parent who is all of the sudden horrified by what they bought going to react?

From experience, they will blame the store that sold them the game. A lot of the issue comes in how the faults are reported. He said/she said is going to play into fines and litigation.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Father Time said:
mjc0961 said:
Father Time said:
Jhereg42 said:
AC10 said:

No it doesn't. If it passes, given time parents won't be able to walk into GameStop and buy the game for their kids because GameStop won't stock the game. Neither will Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and so on.
That makes no sense.

For starters those companies all ready don't sell M games to minors (or at least gamestop doesn't) as their company policy, even though it's legal to sell them those games.

And besides Wal mart and Target all ready stock things that are illegal to sell to minors. Alcohol and cigarettes.
But, of course, those store policies are driven more by external pressures and corporate image concerns more than anything else. I'd imagine that if they ever lost their minds and decided to sell M-rated games to whomever wanted to buy them and argued that there's no law against them doing so, then a horde of white, middle-class, middle-aged, suburban mothers would descend upon their annual shareholder meetings in a convoy of minivans and quickly make them regret that decision. Otherwise, and as long as to do so showed a profit at the bottom line, they'd be selling M-rated games to kids hand over fist.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
LarenzoAOG said:
I wish John Galt was here...
How dare you make a literary reference?! And to Rand, of all authors?! Do you make literary references for a living?! Or do you have a degree from Stanford?! If the answers are "no" and "no," then just ramp down the attitude!

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
JDKJ said:
LarenzoAOG said:
How dare you make a literary reference?! And to Rand, of all authors?! Do you make literary references for a living?! Or do you have a degree from Stanford?! If the answers are "no" and "no," then just ramp down the attitude!
Well excuse me good sir or madam, but Ayn Rand is my favorite author, I shall reference her whenever I feel it to be appropriate! And I am still in high school, I shall not be receiving my degree for at least 4 and a half years. Present your degree before the good people of the Escapist and I shall gladly agree that my referencing was not the most appropriate for the situation. Good day to you!

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
LarenzoAOG said:
JDKJ said:
LarenzoAOG said:
Well excuse me good sir or madam, but Ayn Rand is my favorite author, I shall reference her whenever I feel it to be appropriate! And I am still in high school, I shall not be receiving my degree for at least 4 and a half years. Present your degree before the good people of the Escapist and I shall gladly agree that my referencing was not the most appropriate for the situation. Good day to you!
It was an inside joke of the kind where you just had to be there to appreciate. Fret not. As far as I'm concerned, you can refer to Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" to your heart's content (but others here may not appreciate it, so be forewarned). And I like Rand, too. Perhaps not my favorite (I'm an Orwell kinda guy), but some good stuff nevertheless.

And hat's off to you. You're quite well-written for still being in high school. And feisty, too. I like feisty. It's a fine quality of character.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Wait, there's a game where you beat innocent schoolgirls to death with a shovel, pour gasoline on them and then urinate on them?!? 0_o

....pics or it didn't happen?

Also, I think this could pretty much be summed up as a situation involving parental supervision and responsibility; if you're "too busy" to make sure the game you got little Jimmy (or what he borrowed from a friend/is playing in general) isn't about beating up hookers, you should probably get help with your poor parenting skills or, to be more specific, your lack thereof.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
JDKJ said:
LarenzoAOG said:
JDKJ said:
LarenzoAOG said:
It was an inside joke of the kind where you just had to be there to appreciate. Fret not. As far as I'm concerned, you can refer to Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" to your hearts content (but others here may not appreciate it, so be forewarned). And I like Rand, too. Perhaps not my favorite (I'm an Orwell kinda guy), but some good stuff nevertheless.
No worries, I knew you were joking, that why I used the word "shall" so much. Orwell's not my cup of tea, lord, reading Animal Farm was torture! If someone doesn't like my references they can kiss my ass for all I'm concerned, and for some reason I don't think that the average Escapist is familiar with Ayn Rand's works, and if you liked "1984" I would recomend "Anthem" by Mrs. Rand.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
LarenzoAOG said:
JDKJ said:
LarenzoAOG said:
JDKJ said:
LarenzoAOG said:
It was an inside joke of the kind where you just had to be there to appreciate. Fret not. As far as I'm concerned, you can refer to Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" to your hearts content (but others here may not appreciate it, so be forewarned). And I like Rand, too. Perhaps not my favorite (I'm an Orwell kinda guy), but some good stuff nevertheless.
No worries, I knew you were joking, that why I used the word "shall" so much. Orwell's not my cup of tea, lord, reading Animal Farm was torture! If someone doesn't like my references they can kiss my ass for all I'm concerned, and for some reason I don't think that the average Escapist is familiar with Ayn Rand's works, and if you liked "1984" I would recomend "Anthem" by Mrs. Rand.
I loved "1984" but I loved "Animal Farm" even more. I'm both lazy and short attention-spanned. If you can't quickly tell your tale, you'll quickly lose me. And Rand isn't exactly short-winded.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
AC10 said:
But that would involve the parent actually taking responsibility for the kid and we can't have that, can we? /sarcasm ¬_¬