Games only you seem to like?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I think that BioShock 2 doesn't get enough credit, the story is somewhat weaker than BioShock 1 but the gameplay enhancements really make up for it, particularly the alterations to your weapon set, and the changes to little sisters actually give you an incentive to set traps and play tactically.

Only I seem to like Half-Life alot. Atleast in my Friendgroup..
HL1 was and is very popular but it's not a game that's easy to pick up and play for a modern audience. It's very punishing and doesn't convey how it's meant to be played very well. It's got the veneer of that era's Quake like run and gun shooters but it actually demands far more tactical play.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think that BioShock 2 doesn't get enough credit, the story is somewhat weaker than BioShock 1 but the gameplay enhancements really make up for it, particularly the alterations to your weapon set, and the changes to little sisters actually give you an incentive to set traps and play tactically.
Bioshock 2 started getting a lot more love in the late 2010s and now compared back to 2010. It helps that people learned to form their own opinion and not just parrot Yahtzee. Or those that already liked the 2nd game got more exposure or became popular on YouTube.

I would say beat'em ups in general, but I learned that's a lie. You are never alone, and their are plenty of brawler fans out there. Unless you're IGN, GameSpot, or other "professional" critics that act like they know everything and what's best for everyone.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I guess Darksiders 3. It seems like it got middling reviews and even now its only sitting on a mostly positive rating on steam, but I loved it. I love the Dark Souls games, at least 1 and 3, haven't played 2 or Bloodborn, but I don't really get into games that try to ape the series. Surge was ok and I do love some 2d games that kinda copy the aesthetics, but for the most part 3d games that attempt it don't do it for me. Till, Darksiders 3, I really got into that one. The combat was fun, the story was good, the balance was really solid. It came together to a fantastic entry into a series I really enjoy despite how derivative they are.

Reactions: meiam

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Bioshock 2 started getting a lot more love in the late 2010s and now compared back to 2010.
Not really, I distinctly remember plenty of people with bad taste back then as well.

It helps that people learned to form their own opinion and not just parrot Yahtzee.
Should be in the flame bait thread.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not really, I distinctly remember plenty of people with bad taste back then as well.
Just because their people that like Bioshock 2 does not mean they have automatic bad taste. I say this, I am not big fan of the franchise.

Should be in the flame bait thread.
I was not trying to start a flame war, but we all know this true. Not every single game, people were parroting his opinions, but there's plenty when he did a positive or negative review. Yahtzee's even called people out on this attitude on his show and in real lufe

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Bioshock 2 started getting a lot more love in the late 2010s and now compared back to 2010. It helps that people learned to form their own opinion and not just parrot Yahtzee. Or those that already liked the 2nd game got more exposure or became popular on YouTube.
Nope. It was copypasta trash made by multiplayer map developers back then and its still trash now. It was buggy, awful and literally copy and pasted assets...I lot. I recall at the end fighting special big daddys that were just reskinned regular big daddys. Did not need to Yahtzees opinion. I explicitly after playing it I was like "wtf who made this?" sure enough it was farmed out to some 2k games B squad normally in charge of $.99 DLC because of some fight with the real devs. 2k games is notorious for that.

OH AND THE GODDAMN GFWL, couldnt barely get the fucking thing to launch half the time.

Wizardry RPG series - it's less so that everyone hates it, but more so people don't seem to be aware of it's existence.

Gemfire - Ive been replaying every mode on Gemfire since like 1995 in my spare time and the few times I run into people who know it exists they seem to hate it because they don't KOEI strategy games or because its not as deep as ROTTK.

Killing Floor - I was pretty hardcore into Killing Floor 1 and 2, but never managed to get any of my friends to play with me. I think the lack of competition or narrative throws them off. The game is kind of just for dicking around.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Only I seem to like Half-Life alot. Atleast in my Friendgroup..
Yeah...you're far from the only person in the world to like Half-Life.

Anyway, going by the entries, it seems this is less literally "games you only like" and more "games you like that many people don't," so if that's the case, I can nominate:

-Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (2nd favourite AW game)
-Aliens: Colonial Marines (enjoy this game, dislike Isolation, go figure)
-Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (I think I like this for the reasons that the CoD fanbase doesn't)
-Command & Conquer: Tiberian Twilight (alright, maybe not "like," but rather, sympathetic towards it)
-Command & Conquer: Rivals (believe it or not, it's kinda fun)
-Diablo III (favourite Diablo game)
-Doom 3 (2nd favourite Doom game)
-Gears 5 (2nd favourite Gears game)
-Halo 5: Guardians (really don't get the hate for this)
-The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (criminally underrated)
-The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (yes, nostalgia speaking, bite me)
-Metroid: Other M (it's not "good," but it isn't some abomination either)
-Resident Evil 5 (granted, 5 probably has more goodwill than many other games, but I guess I like it more than most people)
-Resident Evil 3, remake (not as good as its original or the RE2 remake but still a good, fun game)
-Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (frankly, I think it's one of the best RE games in the series)
-Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (taking this as a composite of three episodes, with Ep. 2 doing the heavy lifting, I quite like it)
-Sonic Unleashed (this seems to have had a resurgence in recent years, but yeah, I like it)
-Sonic Lost World (this game is dope, why don't more people like it? :()
-Star Fox Adventures (not a game I'd go back to anytime soon, but I enjoyed it)
-Star Fox Zero (it's pretty fun actually, at least while you're in an Arwing. If not, well...)
-Super Mario Land (only Mario game I owned till 64, bite me)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
DragonAge II. I understand the complaints, and I find a fair few of them very valid. Enemies just spawning in at random is doofy; the reused caves really do get eye-rolling after the third one; the Templars having plot-o-vision around mage!Hawke is just laughable; and they don't make the most of Varric telling the story to Cassandra as a framing device. There's probably more I'm forgetting.

Yet I'd be lying if I didn't find nearly all of Hawke's companions - aside from Fenris and Anders - to be fun, nuanced and interesting characters to share time with in a medieval low fantasy setting, and frankly (on the PS3/360 at least) the game wasn't insufferable to play because they moved to the more hacky/slashy combat where you moved smoothly AND in a move much like Mass Effect 2, gave all its characters distinct looks and outfits that became iconic to them that also changed in subtle ways as you picked up items or changed your relationship with them. I'm only sorry they cancelled the last bit of DLC they'd planned for the game since I think it would have helped better tie DAII and Inquisition together.

Reactions: meiam

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nope. It was copypasta trash made by multiplayer map developers back then and its still trash now. It was buggy, awful and literally copy and pasted assets...I lot. I recall at the end fighting special big daddys that were just reskinned regular big daddys. Did not need to Yahtzees opinion. I explicitly after playing it I was like "wtf who made this?" sure enough it was farmed out to some 2k games B squad normally in charge of $.99 DLC because of some fight with the real devs. 2k games is notorious for that.
Good for you. At least you former your own opinion.

OH AND THE GODDAMN GFWL, couldnt barely get the fucking thing to launch half the time.
I'm assuming you had the PC version.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
-Super Mario Land (only Mario game I owned till 64, bite me)
Nobody hates SML. It has not aged well, but most people understand the time frame it was made in. Though everyone agrees that the sequels are so much better.

-Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (2nd favourite AW game)
No one hated that one either. Everyone either raved about it or did not mind the alternate/darker story line.

Resident Evil 5 (granted, 5 probably has more goodwill than many other games, but I guess I like it more than most people)
5 was the best selling RE title until 6, but only by a small margin. For the all hate RE5 got, it still highly met Capcom's expectations.

-Resident Evil 3, remake (not as good as its original or the RE2 remake but still a good, fun game)
I agree with you there. The hate train is real on YouTube.

-Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (frankly, I think it's one of the best RE games in the series)
The episodic nature threw people off, and the fact that the physical version came out a couple months later did not help. Buying each chapter per dollar most people did not like. At that point it was just wait for the full game a cheaper price. That stupid ending, regardless if it's good or bad end, is never followed up on at all.

-Sonic Unleashed (this seems to have had a resurgence in recent years, but yeah, I like it)
Everyone hates the Were-Hog sections, padding, and the tedious, huge grind for Sun & Moon tokens. That is all

-Aliens: Colonial Marines (enjoy this game, dislike Isolation, go figure)
Because it was sold on a fake demo, lies, and empty promises. The game only got better on the PC version, because of fan mods and one fan changing a line a of code to get the Xenos to move like their actual film counterparts.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wasn't there a thread like that already? Or maybe I'm miss-rememebering cause my answer is always gundam crossfire. It ran like complete shit despite looking like sewer, didn't bother explaining the story and had literally 0 actual character in game. But it's a damn fun mech "simulator", you move slowly and have to be careful with your movement. Where hit land is important, you get killed super fast if your core is destroyed so you always have to make sure its not directly exposed, likewise if you're main weapon arm is destroyed you probably already lost. On the flip side you can quickly kill enemy by focusing their core (which you need to cause ammo is scarce and limited). Good variety of mech (got my soul mate Kampfer) and some limited upgrade system.

Let's compare score, G:CF is 33% on metacritic (4.9 user), I'm sure there are lower game that people genuinely like, but not many I reckon.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Full Metal Furies is a beat-um-up/Metal Slug style co-op shooter with cool characters and lots of puzzles done by the Rogue Legacy studio in 2018.

And it just...doesn't get played? Like, it's not "hey I like this and other people don't", it's "almost everybody who plays it likes it but it happens to be invisible". Like, it launched with one review. Took days to get the 4 necessary for a metacritic score, months to hit double digits.

It and Blossom Tales are my go to examples for hard work not necessarily giving results. It's a brilliant game that nobody played for no particular reason

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Nobody hates SML. It has not aged well, but most people understand the time frame it was made in. Though everyone agrees that the sequels are so much better.
Maybe not hated, but close to the bottom.

Also, there's this song (which I love, admittedly)

No one hated that one either. Everyone either raved about it or did not mind the alternate/darker story line.
Maybe not hated, but it's regarded as the black sheep. Most people I've seen discuss it (as rare as that is) are generally ambivalent.

5 was the best selling RE title until 6, but only by a small margin. For the all hate RE5 got, it still highly met Capcom's expectations.
RE6 outsold 5 as you point out, you'd be hard-pressed to say that translates to affection, or that sales equate to quality ipso facto.

Anyway, RE5 tends to be middle of the road, I included it in that it's upper tier for me.

The episodic nature threw people off, and the fact that the physical version came out a couple months later did not help. Buying each chapter per dollar most people did not like. At that point it was just wait for the full game a cheaper price. That stupid ending, regardless if it's good or bad end, is never followed up on at all.
I wouldn't be surprised if the ending was followed up someday. I mean, Alex Wesker herself was taken from a single document in RE5, you could easily follow up on Rev 2. Heck, I'd take that over the Connections (if not necessarily Neo-Umbrella).

Everyone hates the Were-Hog sections, padding, and the tedious, huge grind for Sun & Moon tokens. That is all
Well, yeah, but for awhile, that translated to disdain of the game in general. It's only fairly recently (as far as I can tell) that Unleashed has been reassed.

Anyway, for me, I didn't mind the Werehog, and I didn't really find the tokens much of a grind.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
-Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (I think I like this for the reasons that the CoD fanbase doesn't)
I enjoyed it, despite it's numerous flaws. The fact you could do a bunch of side operations just for the hell of it in between the main ones was kinda cool and it kind of made up for the fact the story was generally garbage and Jon Snow isn't a scary villain in the least.

Also, I'm gonna Nominate COD: Advanced Warfare because Kevin Spacey playing a bond villain is entertaining and there's a bunch of awesome setpieces across the game. And yes, the "Press X to pay Respects" was stupid as hell and completely unneeded because the scene would have been much more effective without the button prompt.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Good for you. At least you former your own opinion.

I'm assuming you had the PC version.
The only proper way to play an FPS!

Yeah, theres a few games that had a horrendous launch on PC due to GFWL. Constant crashing, lost saves, most users literally had to do some hacking to get around GFWL just to get games to launch at all because the GFWL version wouldn't match the patch version on launcher like steam. There was a stretch where if a game was GFWL you just skipped it. Imagine having to use a pirated cracked patch just to get around a games anti-piracy crap. Thats how bad GFWL was.

Having rewatch his video, I didn't "hate" Bioshock 2, not as much as Yahtzee did. Though Id keep in mind at this point in his career he was stylistically more visceral as a part of his character, he wasnt really "reviewing" bioshock 2. There were some neat ideas, it felt like corners were cut on nearly every facet and its more like a so-so expansion than a game that could stand on its own as a full sequel.

This thread is making me crave another play through of the Bioshock series as I only did it once per game on launch. I did not hate Bioshock 2 so much that I'd skip it. Either memory has faded or it didn't leave me with a lasting impression. The main thing I remember about the game is these daddies you had to fight towards the end that just felt entirely lazy and repetitive. I remember fighting enough of them that I just got really burnt out on the game and wanted it to end. I think it was the Alphas or the Lancers.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wouldn't be surprised if the ending was followed up someday.
That's the thing, it won't. If Capcom did not follow up on the first Revelations game, then they are most likely not gonna bother with the second game. RE7&8 pretty much proved Capcom wants go somewhere else. That's the problem with Capcom's treatment of the series as a whole. Whenever they have a hanging plot line or sub-plot, it either ends anti-climatically, retconned in a sequel(s), or is dropped entirely.

Maybe not hated, but it's regarded as the black sheep. Most people I've seen discuss it (as rare as that is) are generally ambivalent.
To who? This is the first I've ever heard of people hating Days of Ruin. The closest I've seen to hate it some people on the GameFAQS forum, but those were only a super few. Most people I've seen either like it or consider it second best.

Maybe not hated, but close to the bottom.

Also, there's this song (which I love, admittedly)
That's more accurate. Brentafloss is always awesome; I've subscribed to the guy since 2008.

Well, yeah, but for awhile, that translated to disdain of the game in general. It's only fairly recently (as far as I can tell) that Unleashed has been reassed.

Anyway, for me, I didn't mind the Werehog, and I didn't really find the tokens much of a grind.
Unleashed got its reassessment and "vindication" since the mid-late 2010s. To the point there's mods for the PC version where people add their own day time levels. That's been going on for years.

Yeah, theres a few games that had a horrendous launch on PC due to GFWL. Constant crashing, lost saves, most users literally had to do some hacking to get around GFWL just to get games to launch at all because the GFWL version wouldn't match the patch version on launcher like steam. There was a stretch where if a game was GFWL you just skipped it. Imagine having to use a pirated cracked patch just to get around a games anti-piracy crap. Thats how bad GFWL was.
This was the era where a lot of games had the crappy DRM or consoles were thought in mind first and PC was on the low priority.

Though Id keep in mind at this point in his career he was stylistically more visceral as a part of his character, he wasnt really "reviewing" bioshock 2.
Yet plenty of assholes took everything he said as fact or an absolute truth where he can't be disagreed with or wrong.

Give the game another shot if you wish. I think the Bioshock Collection got released on PC as well with better performance as well, but don't quote me on that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Kill La Kill IF - The game is an adaption of an already semi-niche series, in a niche fighting genre. IF is a game meant sctrictly for the fans. Yet,it's one of the better 3D arena fighters to come in the late 2010s and has its own unique fighting mechanics and stages, that separates its from an already over saturated, homogenized market. The fact it's one of the few arena fighters with bringing back all of the original English dub actors from the anime is another sweet bonus and comes with the Japanese cast too. The game's main flaw is not a huge roster, even with the free DLC characters, and not that many modes or extra content. The online does work well, but good luck finding any matches outside of private invites or friends. This game does have its fans, but even other anime arena fighter fans seems to dislike it or misunderstand it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
That's the thing, it won't. If Capcom did not follow up on the first Revelations game, then they are most likely not gonna bother with the second game. RE7&8 pretty much proved Capcom wants go somewhere else. That's the problem with Capcom's treatment of the series as a whole. Whenever they have a hanging plot line or sub-plot, it either ends anti-climatically, retconned in a sequel(s), or is dropped entirely.
I don't think Rev 1 & 2 are equivalent in this case though.

Apart from Jessica, what plot threads did Rev 1 leave dangling? Even then, I can't really call Jessica a plot thread per se, because she's one agent who's procured one virus for some company, this being a world where viruses and BOWs have become a facet of everyday existence. Rev 2, on the other hand, ends with an explicit teaser that Alex is lurking in Natalia, Alex herself already being a plot point from RE5, which in turn spun off from Wesker and Spencer. One of these plot points is dangling heavier than the other.

(Also helps that Natalia's a good character and Jessica isn't, but YMMV I guess.)

Also, I actually agree that RE7 kind of shows that Capcom wanted to go somewhere else, but I'd argue that Rev 2 is part of that transition, where Resident Evil has become akin to an anthology horror series. Rev 2, we have Saw-esque horror, RE7 has Chainsaw Massacre-esque horror, Village, far as I can tell, has vampire/werewolf-esque horror.

To who? This is the first I've ever heard of people hating Days of Ruin. The closest I've seen to hate it some people on the GameFAQS forum, but those were only a super few. Most people I've seen either like it or consider it second best.
Different crowds I guess. It's rare for me to see people hating DoR, but in my experience, it's usually either indifference, people forgetting existed, or mild resentment.