Games people call overrated but you think deserve the hype.

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
A positive topic for once. Talk about games that are often cited as overated but you think are great. At the moment it's Resident Evil 4 for me.
Also: http://immoralgamers.com/?p=41, to have something extra to disagree with.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Halo!

No, wait, stop, just kidding!

Seriously, I'm not quite sure that I see the point in this thread. It's like a bunch of people saying "This is awesome!", someone responding "It's crap!", and then one of the supporters going "Nuh-uh!"

RhinoTuna

Nov 17, 2008
Crysis comes to mind, i think i'm the only one of my friends that actually played it the whole way through.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
RhinoTuna said:
Crysis comes to mind, i think i'm the only one of my friends that actually played it the whole way through.
Agreed. Crysis rules.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I agree on Resident Evil 4 since I really enjoyed it and I'm not usually into any gun related game that is third person (I want to say Third-Person Shooter but Resident Evil is Survival Horror). That is about it since my friends don't label anything overhyped. We ignore the hype unless one of our own whips it up. Well, I guess also Super Smash Brothers Brawl. I love that game and I've been following the series since the original. But everyone says it's overhyped...I don't understand why (even after watching Yahtzee's massacre of it since I disagree with most of the points).

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Bah I hate all these games except Left 4 Dead and SSBB. Wait, and RE4 haha. I'm gonna go wiiiiith Battlefield 2142.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I think Halo deserves a bit of the hype, just for the Map Sandtrap (Sandstorm? You know the one, with the elephants). Just because when me and my friends play on an xBox with Halo, we always go on that map, even if its just that one map, before changing games.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Crysis... People say "it's just graphics" but really, it ain't. I loved the gameplay it was fun and immersive (I could see the characters legs, that's something i miss in most FPS's).

The story was intresting, the characters (well most of them... not the main character) was developed, the nanosuit was fun, albeit gimmicky, to play around with. CryEngine 2 has really nice physics, and the sandbox editor is just pure gold.

Jobz

May 5, 2008
Halo (all three) and GeOW (both of them).

I enjoy mindless, brutal action from time to time. And I seem to be the only person who actually likes the stories in these two franchises.

GregorV

Aug 22, 2006
Assassin's Creed. As far as unique gameplay goes, there's nothing quite like it. It's not really a "hardcore" game but rather an experience to savour. It needs to be enjoyed rather than trying to beat the game.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
I know SSBB didn't live up to the massive amount of hype that Sakurai generated for a lot of people, but I was anything but dissapointed in it. I love the new characters, the stages, items, and especially the amazing music selection. I'm also not sad to see wavedashing go, trying to master that made Melee seem more like a chore than a game. Brawl aint got that.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Halo 3, people say it was a dissapointment, I think it was perfect, seriously, I can't give it much criticism. I actually agree with the hype unlike nearly all other hyped up games.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The article is hilarious. The writer has got the 'semi-literatre-teenage-troll'trope down perfectly.

As for overrated games? I honestly don't think there are any. People have some weird idea that 'good' is some kind of abstract force heedless of human influence. Guess what? If lots of people like it, that makes it good. It's your standards that are wrong.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Oblivion leaps to mind for me. So many people slag on it because of the voice acting and AI, but the game itself, once you get outside the cities, is superb.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
SimuLord said:
Oblivion leaps to mind for me. So many people slag on it because of the voice acting and AI, but the game itself, once you get outside the cities, is superb.
personally, a major reason why I liked Oblivion was because of the AI. I got so many "must've been the wind moments" it was hilarious. I like to know that there are some games that continue the tradition of unintentionally hysterical dialogue. Aside from that, Oblivion still is good, but it could have been better.

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
Jobz said:
Halo (all three) and GeOW (both of them).

I enjoy mindless, brutal action from time to time. And I seem to be the only person who actually likes the stories in these two franchises.
Me too. I'm not really up on the story of Gears, but I actually liked the backstory in the Halo books more. If nothing else, they were decent reads (particularly the Fall of Reach and First Contact).

I also liked Oblivion more than some people, and I really think that the fast travel's immersion breaking is a very very good tradeoff to lose the endless runs through the center of nowhere. Anyone who completed Morrowind's main quest will remember the unenjoyable runs out to that godforsaken, hard to find Ashlander camp.