Games people call overrated but you think deserve the hype.

Tomw1812

Nov 9, 2008
battlefield games (any of them) deserve all the hype
and i think halo would be seen as a better game if it wasn't as hyped, people went expecting perfection and when they didn't get it they didn't like it, i went in epecting an average shooter and i got a little better than that, so i like it plus the custom games/forge thing is awesome

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Graustein said:
I know SSBB didn't live up to the massive amount of hype that Sakurai generated for a lot of people, but I was anything but dissapointed in it. I love the new characters, the stages, items, and especially the amazing music selection. I'm also not sad to see wavedashing go, trying to master that made Melee seem more like a chore than a game. Brawl aint got that.
Agreed.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Richard Groovy Pants said:
Decoy Doctorpus said:
The article is hilarious. The writer has got the 'semi-literatre-teenage-troll'trope down perfectly.

As for overrated games? I honestly don't think there are any. People have some weird idea that 'good' is some kind of abstract force heedless of human influence. Guess what? If lots of people like it, that makes it good. It's your standards that are wrong.
Or maybe some people just have higher standards and other people don't?
I wouldn't call them wrong. I'd just call them fussy, meticulous.
And I don't consider having high standards a bad thing, do you?
Again you're assuming there's some kind of universal measure of how 'good' something is. Even if you could somehow quantify enjoyment, who do you think gets the most fun out of a product? A guy with the high standards or the Frat boy?

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Most of them. GTA4, both Gears of Wars, all Halos. I personally am one of the people who say they hate Halo, but I do realize that it's only because of the multiplayer being overrun with the most annoying people ever and tiny brattish annoying little kids so that it's literally unbearable for me...but besides that it is a good game. Not as good as the really fanatical people say, but it is good. And I'm a super fanatical GTA4 fan, and I do know that it didn't deserve all the perfect 10's that it got, but it is a good game. And the Gears of Wars were just good. They have their faults, but they're good.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus said:
Decoy Doctorpus said:
The article is hilarious. The writer has got the 'semi-literatre-teenage-troll'trope down perfectly.

As for overrated games? I honestly don't think there are any. People have some weird idea that 'good' is some kind of abstract force heedless of human influence. Guess what? If lots of people like it, that makes it good. It's your standards that are wrong.
Or maybe some people just have higher standards and other people don't?
I wouldn't call them wrong. I'd just call them fussy, meticulous.
And I don't consider having high standards a bad thing, do you?
Again you're assuming there's some kind of universal measure of how 'good' something is. Even if you could somehow quantify enjoyment, who do you think gets the most fun out of a product? A guy with the high standards or the Frat boy?
The frat boy.
Where did I defended that the high standards guy would have more fun than the frat boy?
That's where we hit a snag. The only way you can judge these products is by how much enjoyment the user gets out of them. That means that the guy with the higher standards doesn't have higher standards. Just different standards.

UltimateXShadow

May 18, 2008
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

That game was hyped massively up to its was release, and is high lauded even today. However, may people, mostly post-1998 games, do not agree for various reasons. Some are ignorant of the impact it's made, while others argue that its supposed impact is overblown. Either way, I personally feel that this game deserves nearly all of the praise it receives.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
51gunner said:
Jobz said:
Halo (all three) and GeOW (both of them).

I enjoy mindless, brutal action from time to time. And I seem to be the only person who actually likes the stories in these two franchises.
Me too. I'm not really up on the story of Gears, but I actually liked the backstory in the Halo books more. If nothing else, they were decent reads (particularly the Fall of Reach and First Contact).

I also liked Oblivion more than some people, and I really think that the fast travel's immersion breaking is a very very good tradeoff to lose the endless runs through the center of nowhere. Anyone who completed Morrowind's main quest will remember the unenjoyable runs out to that godforsaken, hard to find Ashlander camp.
I haven't looked much into Gears's story, but then again i haven't played Gears 2 yet. I love Halo's story and The Fall of Reach is what got me into science fiction.

Also, I'd have to go with Halo. Love those games to death.

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
Nimbus said:
RhinoTuna said:
Crysis comes to mind, i think i'm the only one of my friends that actually played it the whole way through.
Agreed. Crysis rules.
I loved Crysis as well, I found the story telling to be pretty awesome, and the graphics made it feel like you were there punching commies in the face.

PrimeSynergy

Aug 24, 2008
MGS4

The one and only complaint I always hear is about the cutscenes. "They're way too long and confusing" blah blah blah. As far as I know, MGS has always been about the story and the story is never really confusing as long as you pay attention. Most people who dislike it, that I know, don't care about details and plots as indepth as MGS but that's what makes it so interesting because it honestly feels like a great interactive movie.

The gameplay in MGS4 was great too. It was far from bad. There were so many good moments too were you could just completely abandon stealth and go nuts like when you control Rex(or is it Ray?) and the motorcycle chase(which was epic) and the time where you have to keep the Gekkos away while Vamp and Raiden faught to the death. Stuff like that where there was so much action going on was simply awesome. Of course sneaking around never got old since that's the point of the series and it was done so well.

I'm no MGS fanboy as the only two MGS games I played were 2 and 4. And I skipped all the cutscenes in 2. I hate stealth games, but sneaking in this game was just so much fun. Great game......great game indeed. Worthy of every bit of praise.

May 17, 2007
For me, it's Grand Theft Auto 4, hands down. Yes, it got repetitive by the end, and yes, I have lost my desire to re-play it, and yeah those social phone calls got annoying in the end, and although I haven't tried multiplayer I'm sure it isn't the best game to play online. But I remember how this game absolutely blew me away, in sheer visceral fun, in the amazing level detail in the world and in the mature storyline. I would carefully consider giving it my vote as the Best Game of All Time (so far).

needausername said:
Halo ... the Map trap (Sandstorm? You know the one, with the elephants).
It's both: they're variants of the same map. And yeah, Halo is a good game. I've never found the online matches to be quite so overrun by 12-year-old retards as most people suggest, although they are there. Come to think of it, I tend to get matched up with people from my part of the world (Australia and New Zealand), so maybe it's a regional thing.

PrimeSynergy said:
Most people who dislike (MGS4), that I know, don't care about details and plots as indepth as MGS but that's what makes it so interesting because it honestly feels like a great interactive movie.
I don't mean to start a discussion - I know we'll never agree - but I thought I should put my hand up as someone who likes stories and thinks the story in MGS4 is bad, to put it politely. I followed the plot, I looked up what I didn't understand, I gave it a whole heap of second chances when it didn't grab me right away. But I still found that everything about the plot-based cutscenes ticked me off: the content, the structure and the presentation. I love story-based games, I love RPGs, I love books and I love movies that win Oscars for best screenplay. You get the idea.

UltimateXShadow said:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

That game was hyped massively up to its was release, and is high lauded even today. However, may people, mostly post-1998 games, do not agree for various reasons.
What? There are people who don't like OOT? Quickly, to the Re-education Mobile! :p

PrimeSynergy

Aug 24, 2008
I guess I understand where you're coming from, but to each his own. After all, if everybody agreed on everything the world would suck right now.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Halo Fanboy said:
Left 4 Dead.
Who ever said it was overated. I haven't played it yet, but it looks great.
Many, many of my friends.

'hur hur it's just a zombie shooter hur hur, durr people are idiots durr they think crap games are good durr'.
Seriously, none of my real life buddies are going to buy this game. It's terribly frustrating because this would be such an amazing game to play with 3 other friends.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
PrimeSynergy said:
MGS4

The one and only complaint I always hear is about the cutscenes. "They're way too long and confusing" blah blah blah. As far as I know, MGS has always been about the story and the story is never really confusing as long as you pay attention. Most people who dislike it, that I know, don't care about details and plots as indepth as MGS but that's what makes it so interesting because it honestly feels like a great interactive movie.

The gameplay in MGS4 was great too. It was far from bad. There were so many good moments too were you could just completely abandon stealth and go nuts like when you control Rex(or is it Ray?) and the motorcycle chase(which was epic) and the time where you have to keep the Gekkos away while Vamp and Raiden faught to the death. Stuff like that where there was so much action going on was simply awesome. Of course sneaking around never got old since that's the point of the series and it was done so well.

I'm no MGS fanboy as the only two MGS games I played were 2 and 4. And I skipped all the cutscenes in 2. I hate stealth games, but sneaking in this game was just so much fun. Great game......great game indeed. Worthy of every bit of praise.
You played all of MGS4 and watched the ending the cinematic? And you think it's good? I thought the story was good, the characters deep and believable and then the

cockslap ending cinematic came and ruined the whole thing. Oh, you want to believe there was some spooky shit with the dude's arm? Nope! It was all hypnotic training! Raiden became a miserable bastard after the loss of his family? Yeah, but they're still alive and it was all just a plot to protect them from the Patriots. Everything in this game? All a plot for them to be able to capture Zero!

Maybe this shit happens in all MGS games, as I've only played 4, but that ending was fucking nonsense and ruined the game for me.