Games that Actually Scared You

Cobbs

Aug 16, 2008
As you may or may not have guessed, the topic of this forum is games or part of a game that scared you, or maybe someone you know. Was the game supposed to be scary? (A la Dead Space, Amnesia, Left 4 Dead) or did some part of the gameplay strike some nerve in your terror receptors?

For me the only genuinley scary game I've ever played is Dead Island, mainly due to how vulnerable you are and how you train yourself to hear noises but still jump anyway.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
Amnesia: The Dark Descent. That game is fucking creepy.

Also, Bioshock could be pretty scary at times as well.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Amnesia: With university work and it being genuinely terrifying, I don't know how soon I'll be finishing it.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
The Ravenholm level in Half Life 2 was quite scary. The whole atmosphere just gave me the willies.

Now, I don't know why people say Bioshock was scary. Sure, it was suspenseful, but scary? Not one bit.

ipeut14

Feb 5, 2009
my top 5

1.amnesia: the dark decent
2.condemned: criminal origins
3.Fear 1 ( the original game, DLCs were fun but not as scary)
4.Penumbra (overture and black plague)
5.Dead space 1 (again, the 2nd one was loads of fun but not as scary)

ardencabbel

Sep 1, 2011
The time that pops into my mind is from Resident Evil 2. The loading screen that was different from the others. ...Jerks....

I have been terrified in many games, specifically Silent Hill.

duktapeman90

Fhqwhgads
Aug 16, 2009
Well Amnesia is a given.
The GC Remake of Resident Evil was pretty scary.
Also, any part with the Regenerators/Iron Maidens in Resi 4, those things where scary as fuck.

Edit: Oh yeah, Minecraft, especially exploring caves solo.

Ace2401

May 9, 2011
I don't see how people could ever see Left 4 Dead as scary. Sure it's intense, but never scary. In fact, zombies aren't really scary at all any more, are they?

Anyway, games I've played that scared me: Amnesia: The Dark Descent can be utterly terrifying at times. Most of them, actually. Silent Hill 2 is another one I've played recently. That game is a disturbing mindscrew from heck; it is also one of the best and greatest games I've ever played, and I've played a lot of games.

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
Dead space was not very scary....

Penumbra: Black Plague however... jesus christ my friend and I peed ourselves playing that game...

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
I was pretty freaked out in Dead space 2, especially when that damn alarm clock went off :S

Bioshock also had it's moments that were unnerving.

And although i haven't played it, i can tell Amnesia would scare the hell out of me.

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
Nickompoop said:
The Ravenholm level in Half Life 2 was quite scary. The whole atmosphere just gave me the willies.

Now, I don't know why people say Bioshock was scary. Sure, it was suspenseful, but scary? Not one bit.
Bioshock was hella scary in the hospital...your arguement is invalid.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Doom 2 can be sometimes scary. Once, a zombie literally popped out of nowhere. Scared the shit out of me!

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Inb4, ssssssssshhhhhhh...Booom!

But seriously, I now only play Minecraft on peaceful.

Any zombie game that I have as well.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Cobbs said:
As you may or may not have guessed, the topic of this forum is games or part of a game that scared you, or maybe someone you know. Was the game supposed to be scary? (A la Dead Space, Amnesia, Left 4 Dead) or did some part of the gameplay strike some nerve in your terror receptors?
>Dead Space
>Scary
>Wat

OT: In the most recent years the only game that have managed to scare me is Amnesia, had a very specific moment which made me close the game but that would be such a long wall of text so nha. Oh and hardcore mode in minecraft, my god do I explore carefully now ._.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
The only games that have ever really scared me were Silent Hill 2, Manhunt, and Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
duktapeman90 said:
Edit: Oh yeah, Minecraft, especially exploring caves solo.
Awe man! You edit ninja'd me.

But yeah, I don't know what it is, but even playing in peaceful mode, exploring in the dark depths still feels creepy.

I guess it is the classic fear of the unknown, or breaking a bit of stone wall and lava comes pouring out.