Games that disappointed you

downskitty

Jan 15, 2008
Final Fantasy VIII - Oh, so it only looks like that in the cutscenes? And summons take forever? I started playing this game and it just irritated me on so many levels that I stopped after about 30 minutes. And I was a devotee of the series (at least the American-released ones since that's all I knew about) from FFII on. It's still a tie between II and III for me as to which is my top favorite. Sure, the FF series has always kind of played like "next verse, same as the last," but VIII just put me off.

Fable - Promised so much, and delivered on so little. I loved the game because it was rather fun to be able to mix up my styles of fighting completely on the fly. It was basically a fighting game with experience building, though. Morality was too simplistic, the time passage only occurred with your character (while no one else ages a DAY, you're 65 well before the game was over, based on how many times you went to level up -- my first playthrough had me at 65 at the halfway mark), and the weapons just were done horribly. Sure, you could get a pickaxe instead of a heavy sword, but the only appreciable difference apart from appearance was just the damage stat. I would've liked having weapons that each had inherent strengths and weaknesses (such as one weapon having a naturally better ability to pierce defenses than others, one actually capable of scoring one-hit crits like a katana slicing cleanly through, halving your victim, that sort of thing). I'd rather have two weapons of the same damage stat but are of different classes and thus, advantages. It can't be that hard to figure out, and it would immensely add to the combat sequences, considering that was what the game was basically about.

Halo 2 - Pretty much all the main points have been covered, but what really pissed me off was boss battles. I can fill the Prophet of Regret with all the needles I can find, unload every available rocket and fuel rod cartridge on his ass, and otherwise paint the room with his blood splatters. But I can't kill him with anything but my goddamn fist. That is something that does not belong in ANY FPS, ever. What I was wanting was bigger scale battles of the sort experienced at the end of the level Two Betrayals in the first. A massive slugfest between Covenant and flood, you with access to a plethora of ammo, and the ability and option to wade into said battle in any manner you chose. Ride the ghost in with strafing runs as you whittle down the opposition? Sure! Or maybe hang back, snipe away to dwindle the infantry? Why not! Or just simply charge headlong with a rocket launcher and pistol and generally bring the bad news all in a big way? Hey, knock yourself out! Instead, I'm punching out some jerk with my fist.

Halo 3 - The scarab battles edge just a bit too close to the previous. They still go pretty much the same route with little room for variability, and Bungie still had been promising huge set-piece battles that would allow for variability. And then, the AI. I can't help but think that the AI for the marines in particular is much, much worse, to the point that I find that even though they can be crack shots when manning the turret while I drive, I find more often than not that I'm better off leaving them behind entirely, and taking out entire regiments of vehicles ON FOOT. And then there's the great thing about how they can be crack shots, yes, but they tend to aim at center mass. Not a big problem, until you notice that they keep shooting at center mass...through the top of a hill. How about you either notch your aim up just a bit more, or wait until you can SEE center mass of target before opening up? Or sometimes when they even just...don't...shoot. I once circled a wraith four times waiting for the rocket launcher to be fired, even slowing down thinking maybe he needed to adjust his glasses? I don't know, but I do know I ended up eating a large ball of plasma.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Hideo Kojima attempts the most convoluted recursive mindfuck. I like complexity, sure. But that was bordering on ridiculous. Here's a twist! A twist on the twist! I'm twisting that twist with a twisty twist of a twist! Let's do the Twist! Did he just hang out with college philosophy stoners the whole time that was being worked on?

Doom 3 - Welcome to the future, we have no duct tape! We forgot how to implement flashlights into firearms! And sure, id knew how to pull off the scary part, but one of the things I loved most about the first two? Crowds. When you have a horde of demons coming straight at you, it tends to up your adrenaline just a little. When you have no more than at maximum, what, 3? 4? Not so much. Oh, but it's in tight, close quarters! Good job!

Far Cry Instincts - Hearing about how awesome Far Cry was in both looks and AI, I was looking forward to trying this. Even bought it without renting first, which is unusual for me. I wish I hadn't, because sure, it looked pretty, but the one thing that really mattered wasn't included. That wonderful AI that made Far Cry more than just a pretty shooter. Great. But man, did that jungle look lush! Especially sad because I did like the acting, and all. Jack Carver was the perfect action movie hero archetype with much of his dialogue.

Black - You mean I can't even step over a rock that has a height of one inch? I can't even bunny hop it? Oh, and the destruction is just for visual effects? Lovely. The first time I found how limited the range of movement was, I stopped playing it. If I'm going to be involved in run and gun style of combat, I'd like to be able to at least run without finding barriers in the form of landscape that's not even higher than my knees. But hey, nice guns.

Jade Empire - My only gripe was that I expected more from the combat system, simply because martial arts is more elegant and complex than how it was done in the game. Moreover, I was saddened by the drunken boxing style, simply because it should've been far more devastating as a form and I would've loved having that as a chosen and upgradeable style. But it's also that I would've loved having an option to mix up the styles, that is, customize my own set of moves culled from varying styles into my own, personal style.

Assassin's Creed - The same gripes already covered, but I'd like to also mention the AI of everyone else. It always annoyed me that those beggars and crazies only ever noticed ME. Never pestered anyone else, never pushed anyone else, just ME. I'm waaay over by this bench, but as soon as I'm in some sort of proximal range set for the beggars, they bee-line over to me instantly. The crazies were worse because they always pushed me into a guard. Every time. I ended up just simply grabbing them and throwing them around, or otherwise punching them out. But for a game that hit so many high notes as it did, especially with all the running around and jumping from roof to roof, especially when chased, it's saddening that it was marred by such stupid details like this. It was even more of a joy to fight the guards using only the hidden blade. Counter stick 2 or 3 of them, and even if there were still 7 remaining, they'd take off utterly shit-scared. But related to that, it would've been better had there been some sort of "learning" on the part of the soldiers of each city. One would think that after racking up a few kills that one would have a harder time traveling about in the cities, given the increase in profile with each killing and especially each assassination completed.

nerdtastic

Jan 15, 2008
Fable was utterly disappointing. The creators called it the best RPG ever made. The way all the hype sounded, Oblivion was what I expected of Fable.

Kantoken

Jan 16, 2008
Civilization IV:

I'm a great fan of the series and could hardly contain my happiness when I heard this game was coming. Civ 3 seemed a bit too easy and I was looking for a bigger challenge. Well, Civ IV takes that and multiplies that by ten. Or should I say, a hundred.
The different victories are a nice touch, but when you think you finally start having a civilization that counts, another gains a diplomatic victory through the Apolistic Palace or the United Nations council. Also, on the higher difficulty levels, the AI doesn't get better, they just become more aggressive and get a head start in research and resources. Don't bother trying to be the first to discover a religion: the AI will always beat you to it. If you don't build your first city in the first three turns, you're done for. So I find myself starting over and over to get a good starting position...

The Halo series:

The entire gaming world agrees: Halo is the bomb. So when I got my Xbox, Halo 1 and 2 were
amongst the first I got. In both cases, I stopped playing after the first couple of levels.
How are these games amazing again? I found no thrill, no excitement at playing this.
I started to look back on the happy days of Unreal Tournament...

Assassin's Creed:

I'd like to refer to Yahtzee's review of this game as I see it totally the same.

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords:

Addiction was the keyword here. From Penny Arcade to my favorite gaming magazine, Puzzle Quest is hailed as a good time for your money. But I find that winning battles has more to
do with luck than skill. If you want to win or atleast have a reasonable chance, you'll have
to go over the entire board and see what will happen (the chain reactions) when you move the gems. The AI, being faster than a human brain, doesn't need that much time. And when I found
myself placing the PS2 closer to my seat so I could reset it more easily because of the ninth
time I lost to a two-headed ogre (which managed to knock half of my hitpoints off IN THE FIRST TURN), I neatly placed the game back into its box, and put it back into my cabinet.
Which I locked.

ZenMonkey47

Jan 10, 2008
Heavenly Sword - I bought it on the pretense that it would be a fun 3rd person slasher (is TPS even a recognized achronem?) to rival the likes of God of War or Rune (imho one of the most underrated games ever and one of the few that I think is deserving of a remake). I can't knock the story or the acting, it's superb, but the gameplay is downright schizophrenic. The martial arts action is passable (it's not as smooth or pretty as it could easily be) and the button matching sequences are... tolerable. But every other level they force you into some kind of non-skippable FPS situation (that would be what 'twing-twang' is for those who were confused by the demo).

Look, if I wanted to play a FPS, I would've bought a FPS! I mean, it's not like there's a shortage, every other game that's released on any platform is an effing FPS! The market is flooded with them!

So the moral of the story is the same as building a character in any MMORPG, pick one thing and do it exceptionally well. The occasional mini-game is alright, but stick to your guns (or swords as the case may be).

brianwh

Jan 16, 2008
The Witcher!

Childish combat, slooooow loading (even after the patch), graphical bugs galore, uneven voice acting, some good, some like a high school drama class, POTION MAKING-- is that meant to be fun!?

Worse, I paid almost full price for that dog.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Halo 3.
A really boring single player that I have no desire to ever play again, a multiplayer that's only fun while you're trying to earn achievements. Halo:CE is still the king of the series. A really good example of how enough hype can sell anything, I even bought all three editions, I was that looking forward to it.

Half-Life 2.
Fantastic physics engine, but pretty much nothing else. No story, nothing. Although, Episode 1 and 2 have since made up for that.

Deus Ex 2.
Oh dear god! Seriously, I would have been happy for a carbon copy of the first game but no!!! They had to make everything simple, boring and dumb because it needed to appeal to console owners.

KOTOR II.
Just plain old rubbish compared to the first game, oh well, at least Bioware made Mass Effect for me, as a way of apologising.

Damn Dirty Ape

Oct 10, 2007
I just finished the cod4 sp campaign and seriously, this game does not deserve a 9.5 or higher. What the hell is up with reviewers these days? I play every cod game on harder from the getgo because it's too easy otherwise. But what do I get? Idiotic teammates that do nothing but get in the way and take the good cover. Low damage guns ( the same system of shooting people and them getting up again is the same as with cod2 ), infinite spawns making sniping completely useless, idiotic amount of enemies at some points ( yes I'm looking at you pripyat defend mission ), the 100% accurate enemy grenade spam which is impossible to avoid. There is alot of fun and nicely polished stuff in the game as well though, but the constant grenades at my feet and triggersystem is exactly like cod2.

Alpha001

Dec 31, 2007
Call of Duty 4 Singleplayer

I bought the game, saying

"Oh boy, modern warfare, something i might like" (Really like that kinda stuff =P)

I installed it, played through the singleplayer, which seemed shorter than HL2 - EP2

I tried to move on to the next campaign, like in the other CoD's, but there was none. I dont play many games online... Now, the game was great, but too short.

Crysis -
It was an amazing game, i literally didn't sleep until I had beaten it. Too bad, it left a cliffhanger ending

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
this one is just a no brainer lost planet that was hyped to be the gretest thing since sliced bread so i went out a baught it and was severely dissapointed i think the disc ended up in my garden somewhere

Flionk

Nov 5, 2007
MMORPGs in general. From my experience, people don't have fun playing MMORPGs. People play them because it keeps them occupied and gives them a nice steady stream of abstract rewards to satisfy their egos. It wouldn't be hard to make an MMORPG that's legitimately fun, but nobody wants to risk splitting off from the tried-and-true grind-tastic model.

Sonic Heroes. This was the first Sonic game that I couldn't enjoy. Sonic Adventure was a literary masterpiece, and while gameplay was buggy it was still a great experience for the first real 3D Sonic game. Sonic Adventure 2 gave the gameplay an incredible polish, and while the story wasn't spectacular it was still good, and it remained true to the characters and the series as a whole.

Sonic Heroes had glitchy gameplay, worse than SA1; the level design was uninteresting and repetitive (why was every level a series of platforms suspended over a bottomless pit?); the storyline was half missing, and what was there didn't make a lot of sense, creating a very disjointed experience (why do all the teams need to fight as soon as they see each other? Why am I in a forest all of a sudden? And most importantly, what possessed Knuckles to leave Angel Island in the first place?); they took the focus off of speed and the thrill of running, and moved it towards combat, which might have worked if the combat wasn't so dull (so I fight this guy the same as every enemy from every Sonic game ever, except this one takes 5 hits. And instead of being an obstacle that I could choose to just evade, I have to kill it to open this door. Lovely); they made each character even less unique by fitting every team into the Speed/Fly/Power mold and creating virtually no differences in abilities between the teams, thusly giving every character 3 clones instead of 1 (from SA2); and finally, they used the 4Kids voice actors, with no japanese voice option (I've always preferred the japanese voices, but at least the old english voice actors were competent).

Interestingly enough, I wasn't disappointed by Shadow the Hedgehog. I had such low expectations going in that the things they got right were a pleasant surprise. They somehow managed to add guns, something that has no right being in a Sonic game, and made them fun. There's a section in one of the GUN base levels where you can get a chaingun, and if you fill up the dark meter you can then run through more than half the level using a chaingun with infinite ammo, keeping the meter from running out by just destroying more stuff. That's amazingly enjoyable. Now this isn't to say Shadow was a good game - it was still the worst Sonic game at the time - but it wasn't a disappointment.

I find it interesting that so many people here were disappointed by Sonic 360; after Shadow, it seemed fairly obvious that this would be a complete train wreck, especially after they revealed that a human princess would be central to the story (really, the only human who matters in Sonic is Eggman, and on occasion the President).

And then there's this sandwich. It's soggy and cold, and the lettuce keeps falling out. I mean come on, there's barely even any meat! And is that an olive? I hate olives. This is really my biggest disappointment yet. I give it a -4/10. With an 8/10 for graphics.

Bocca

Jan 17, 2008
TES: Morrowind - This must be the biggest bisappointment in my life. I thought it was the game i allways dreamed of, but what did i get? A fucking big game with a terrible fighting-system. My "friend" said it was a huge fun game but when i started to fight with big worms i realized how bad the fighting-system was. I thought that it was like in Oblivion. Second, i didnt find any places because i didnt know where i was or where i should go. I tried to find a house on a hill in north if i remember right,but i never found it. That was the end of my gaming session forever in TES: III. I know, i know, its an old game but i thought something better. I dont know what does people see in it. Maybe im just stupid and too naive to understand so sophisticated game like TES: Morrowind.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Enigmatic_Apple said:
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakening

This game had so much potential.

I don't know who I am anymore
yes, I've heard nothing but bad things about that game.

Sherlock 4 is supposed to be a major improvement:

http://adventureshop.gamesplanet.com/UK/produit.html?product_id=423&category_id=14