Games that Everyone loves, But you don't.

Irwin126

Dec 29, 2016
You have seen the reviews, The praise, And the fanbase. And you gave it a fair shot, but you just ether couldn't enjoy it or hated it.

For me, it's Shovel knight.
The god awful pc controls kills most of the fun of the game, And the levels are too long and too few.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Witcher 3.

I don't hate it. There's a lot of good stuff in it. Some good visual design, some good characters, some good dialogue and quests, decent setting. I can kinda see why it's so widely loved.

But it never really impressed me as a whole. I find the main character utterly unengaging. The combat was mediocre and nowhere near meaty enough to sustain a game that damn long. Inventory system was a mess.

I'm still interested to see what CDPR do with Cyberpunk. God I hope they don't just make Cyber-Geralt for the player character.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Everyone seemed to love Portal, I found it boring back when I played it as it had just come out as part of the orange box before it was a cultural icon with memes and stuff. It was not the kind of game that keeps me motivated to want to keep playing or to want to return to it, it was different and a novelty but I never actually found any desire to return to the very dull world it created and the puzzle gameplay was repetitive and uninteresting once you played enough missions. I think I beat about half of it before losing interest entirely.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The Souls series. I don't get it. Its obtuse, confusing, hard to play, poor control system and obscenely hard to boot. They strike me for all the world like games that don't want to be played, and that mercilessly pad out their game length by making you play the same room over and over and over and over. Its like watching a football replay of a single play over and over got 3 hours and then telling people you watched an entire game. I don't get why its popular, why its critically acclaimed, why people put hundreds of hours into it,
or indeed why the Devs ever thought it'd be a good idea.

I wonder how short they'd be if they tuned down the difficulty and got rid of that monster respawn shit. I'd guess pretty damn short.

And MineCraft. Played it, bored to tears, shut it off after only 20mins.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Overwatch. The beta was enough for me. I have more fun with PVZ GW2 than I did with it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
As of recently, Overwatch, I guess. When you take into account the crazy popularity it's enjoying compared to the complete apathy I have towards it. I don't hate it, it's just that it's a multiplayer-only shooter, which to me holds less value than an empty can of dogfood.

Also, Platinum games. Generally praised as the be-all and end-all of the action genre, but to me the weightless hack 'n slashing and empty, lifeless levels are always a thorn in my eye. I can understand that the combat is extremely fine tuned, and that people who have a boner for combos and cancels or whatever have a field day with it. But I'm the kind of guy who appreciates setting, characters, story, and atmosphere just as much if not more so than the intricacies of the gameplay mechanics. I played the Nier: Automata demo last week and yeah... I guess it plays very well, but beyond that the game feels bland and lacking any sort of punch or weight.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Zhukov said:
Witcher 3.

I don't hate it. There's a lot of good stuff in it. Some good visual design, some good characters, some good dialogue and quests, decent setting. I can kinda see why it's so widely loved.

But it never really impressed me as a whole. I find the main character utterly unengaging. The combat was mediocre and nowhere near meaty enough to sustain a game that damn long. Inventory system was a mess.

I'm still interested to see what CDPR do with Cyberpunk. God I hope they don't just make Cyber-Geralt for the player character.
I am the same. I have the Witcher 3 and I tried to play it many times. It's good, good this good that ya yada, but I just can't get into in because mostly geralt. I am looking forward to cyberpunk 2077. I hope they bring out a character creator for it. I am way too optimistic about 2077 because the one thing so many games get wrong about cyberpunk is the one thing CD-Red gets right in their games.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
All MOBAs, anything by Blizzard that is not Diablo 3 (I never played 1 or 2 though), Uncharted series, Mass Effect that isnt 1, technically Oblivion (ok, I love it, but it is far inferior to Morrowind), sport games, Call of Duty 4 (I love most CoD games, just not that one), Final Fantasy series, Saints Row series (excluding 2), Street Fighter V.

Im sure there are a bunch more.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
There's just so many...

Witcher 3 and just about every praised RPG - The combat is usually shit while the game forces you to fight so very often. RPGs should focus on role-playing, not combat.

Any Rockstar game - If you make an open world game, the missions are supposed to be open-ended, not linear.

Overwatch - I played literally 2 matches of the beta and I was bored with how simplistic the game modes were.

Souls games - The combat is far too simplistic, the same strategy works on every enemy, and the trash mobs are probably the easiest enemies to defeat in all of gaming. I do love the level design and atmosphere. I wish the series would evolve into a survival horror series.

Uncharted series (excluding the 2nd game) - The writing is actually pretty bad in the last 2 games. The core gameplay issues from the very 1st game were never fixed like using the same button for rolling and cover.

Dreiko said:
Everyone seemed to love Portal, I found it boring back when I played it as it had just come out as part of the orange box before it was a cultural icon with memes and stuff. It was not the kind of game that keeps me motivated to want to keep playing or to want to return to it, it was different and a novelty but I never actually found any desire to return to the very dull world it created and the puzzle gameplay was repetitive and uninteresting once you played enough missions. I think I beat about half of it before losing interest entirely.
I don't get the obsession with the original game either. Like 90% of the game is a tutorial with only the last 10% actually being a game. I guess that's fine for how it was released as it wasn't a full-fledged game by any means. However, Portal 2 is a full-on game and I really loved it.

Silentpony said:
The Souls series. I don't get it. Its obtuse, confusing, hard to play, poor control system and obscenely hard to boot.
The Souls games are some of the easiest games to play, the only real challenges are the boss battles (most of them are pretty easy as well). The Souls games have by far the weakest enemies in all of gaming because of the checkpoint system causing you to play long stretches without dying. Uncharted is more challenging IMO. The Souls community steals the "git gud" meme when the games should just be referred to as "git careful". If you just play with the mindset of every action you take is to not die, then the games become joke easy. You're not supposed to try to move through an area fast or look "cool" fighting. If you just pay attention, even the environmental traps become blatantly obvious.

Casual Shinji said:
But I'm the kind of guy who appreciates setting, characters, story, and atmosphere just as much if not more so than the intricacies of the gameplay mechanics. I played the Nier: Automata demo last week and yeah... I guess it plays very well, but beyond that the game feels bland and lacking any sort of punch or weight.
Platinum is only doing the combat for Nier Automata. If the game fails at those other elements, don't blame Platinum. Overall the demo was pretty disappointing for me as well. 1) I expected the characters and dialogue to at least pique my interest as characters are easily what carried the original Nier and 2) I expected more depth to the combat since it's done by Platinum, the combat is definitely better than the 1st Nier (but that's not saying much).

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
GTA. most boring piece of shit out there.

even Uncharted, which is also total crap, is more entertaining than GTA. and anyone who knows me back from the Gametrailers.com forums knows i hate Uncharted.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Minecraft. I just don't see the appeal, at all.

Any of the Witcher games.

Overwatch. I don't have any compulsion to actually play the game, but I do enjoy the meta-narrative they've created very much.

The Uncharted series. I played the first one, it was ok, enjoyable, but nothing great. Played some of the second, and realized it was a rinse/repeat of 1. Stopped playing the series at that point.

Undertale. Tried playing it, played for about 2 hours, and was bored out of my mind. I don't really care about the meta-narrative and how clever it might be, I just couldn't get through the boring game itself to experience any of that.

Battlefield and COD. FPS's have little to no appeal to me. Modern shooters especially. Never played a single one of these games.

Probably more, that's all I can think of atm.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
Casual Shinji said:
But I'm the kind of guy who appreciates setting, characters, story, and atmosphere just as much if not more so than the intricacies of the gameplay mechanics. I played the Nier: Automata demo last week and yeah... I guess it plays very well, but beyond that the game feels bland and lacking any sort of punch or weight.
Platinum is only doing the combat for Nier Automata. If the game fails at those other elements, don't blame Platinum. Overall the demo was pretty disappointing for me as well. 1) I expected the characters and dialogue to at least pique my interest as characters are easily what carried the original Nier and 2) I expected more depth to the combat since it's done by Platinum, the combat is definitely better than the 1st Nier (but that's not saying much).
Regardless, it has the same empty parking lot feel to the levels as Bayonetta and Revengeance.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenixmgs said:
Silentpony said:
The Souls series. I don't get it. Its obtuse, confusing, hard to play, poor control system and obscenely hard to boot.
The Souls games are some of the easiest games to play, the only real challenges are the boss battles (most of them are pretty easy as well). The Souls games have by far the weakest enemies in all of gaming because of the checkpoint system causing you to play long stretches without dying. Uncharted is more challenging IMO. The Souls community steals the "git gud" meme when the games should just be referred to as "git careful". If you just play with the mindset of every action you take is to not die, then the games become joke easy. You're not supposed to try to move through an area fast or look "cool" fighting. If you just pay attention, even the environmental traps become blatantly obvious.
Sort of. It's NES hard. Some parts, especially the trash mobs in 2, are just cheap tactics to pad out areas. But you either tough it out, or go to a wiki like most Souls players. It can be easy once you know the layout and locations, but generally it's not a cakewalk. Especially on your first playthrough. Souls rewards precise movement, memorization of enemy patterns, gear loadout, and stats. It's much like Metroid or Castlevania SOTN.

Anyway, games I don't love but everyone else does. Probably Morrowind. It's a clunky and slow, walking simulator. Though I do like the 90s style dialogue system, it's fairly in-depth, and works fine if you're not concerned with voice acting.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Foolery said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Silentpony said:
Sort of. It's NES hard. Some parts, especially the trash mobs in 2, are just cheap tactics to pad out areas. But you either tough it out, or go to a wiki like most Souls players. It can be easy once you know the layout and locations, but generally it's not a cakewalk. Especially on your first playthrough. Souls rewards precise movement, memorization of enemy patterns, gear loadout, and stats. It's much like Metroid or Castlevania SOTN.
It's not close to NES hard. I played through Sen's Fortress without a guide and never fell for a single trap. I got through many dungeons + boss battle without dying a single time. You don't have to pay attention to enemy patters, you just dodge or block then attack, that's it. Some bosses require more effort but every normal enemy (outside of very occasional exceptions) requires the same rinse and repeat strategy. The only reason people actually die in the Souls games is that they just lose focus because the enemies are so easy.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
Limbo.

This game has a 94% all time Steam user rating from 21,210 reviews and 88% from professional reviewers on Metacritic. Widely regarded as one of those indie darlings. I played it a few months ago when the developers made it available for free on Steam. It was my least enjoyable gaming experience of 2016. Absolutely hated it. Only reason I played it to completion is because I knew before I started that it was really short.

Why do I hate it?
- There is literally no story, no explanation for who the protagonist is, where they are, or what they're trying to achieve. The steam store page kind of explains a little bit, but that doesn't count, because it isn't explained in the actual game.
- Gameplay is super frustrating, designed around traps you can't even see (because every solid object is the same shade of black), so you can't possibly avoid them. You have to die first, learn what triggers the trap, and then you can avoid it on the next attempt. This just isn't fun. I don't mind dying in games, as long as I feel like it was my fault because I did something wrong.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Yoshi178 said:
GTA. most boring piece of shit out there.

even Uncharted, which is also total crap, is more entertaining than GTA. and anyone who knows me back from the Gametrailers.com forums knows i hate Uncharted.
GTA is indeed most overrated franchise of all time. Also Witcher 3. just average game.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I guess I'll say Witcher 3. It's not even a bad game. It's just super average. The game play is bad, and the story is bland and uninteresting. The open world nature of the game made it painful to sit through. It just seems like another generic fantasy story with lots of tits thrown in. I even tried reading one of the books to get a feel for it, but it was badly written. I like the developers, though. They're very pro-consumer and friendly. I can't begrudge them my money too much. I hope that cyber punk game they're making is a little stronger, because the setting piques my interest.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Casual Shinji said:
As of recently, Overwatch, I guess. When you take into account the crazy popularity it's enjoying compared to the complete apathy I have towards it. I don't hate it, it's just that it's a multiplayer-only shooter, which to me holds less value than an empty can of dogfood.

Also, Platinum games. Generally praised as the be-all and end-all of the action genre, but to me the weightless hack 'n slashing and empty, lifeless levels are always a thorn in my eye. I can understand that the combat is extremely fine tuned, and that people who have a boner for combos and cancels or whatever have a field day with it. But I'm the kind of guy who appreciates setting, characters, story, and atmosphere just as much if not more so than the intricacies of the gameplay mechanics. I played the Nier: Automata demo last week and yeah... I guess it plays very well, but beyond that the game feels bland and lacking any sort of punch or weight.
I'll agree to some extent, but games like Bayonetta, Mad World, and the Wonderful 101 has atmosphere, setting, characters, and story. Maybe it's down to your personal preference. That's fine and all. To me Platinum's game with the best story is Mad World due to how self-contained it is, and makes a good point. Bayonetta's story was fun, but haphazardly told, and you needed to read the journals lying around to get the full lore. Bayonetta 2 fixed most of it, because we already know who Bayonetta is and no amnesia sub-plots creeping up, so the story is a lot more direct and immediate.

While barren environments are recent problem in Platinum's current games, they had plenty variety in environments, details, and heavily encouraged exploration in many stages on the three games I just mentioned in the paragraph above. As far as Nier: Automata, you shouldn't judge the game so early, it's just a demo. There are more environments that include a desert, and abandoned city featuring wildlife full of green a la Last of Us. There is going to be quests and towns you can visit, so it won't just be the typical action game from Platinum. Nier is an Action/RPG you know, so detailed environments and exploration is definitely going to be a thing.

My list:

Uncharted - They're just TPSs with Indiana Jones flavor. I respect the series for what it did graphically and visually, but the gameplay has always been mostly the same with small changes here and there. And amazing as 4 looks, the game is a glorified fan fic with a Gary Stu/OC brother who was never mentioned at all nor hinted at in any of the previous games. Had Sam been an old colleague of Drake, I could accept that, but making him a long lost relative is 12-year old writing a script territory.

Gears of War - Same as above, but worse to look at.

COD/Battlefield/any clones of the genre - I don't do "realistic" FPSs. The realism is a fallacy, and almost all of the games have very little changes or don't go further with their ideas; there's no point in me playing them. I don't care for multiplayer either, so buying any of those games is a waste of my time and money.

Tomb Raider - I got bored after the III game and never looked back. Most of the games aren't bad, but not my thing. I can't speak for the reboot series, but from what I heard Rise of the Tomb Raider was more or less the same as the 2013 reboot.

Elder Scrolls IV - I found the game too long and boring for my taste. That goes about the same for V and Fallout 3 or 4.

Assasin's Creed - Why do people even bother buying these anymore? Ubisoft doesn't know what they're doing with the plot since Brotherhood, they all play almost the same at this point, and fill the glut of lazy, open world collect-a-thons. Speaking of which...

Far Cry 4 and Primal - Lazy $60.00 mission pack sequels, that is all.

Metroidvania Castlevania games- I always preferred the linear stage based games. The fact Konami put out so many of these nearly every year before they became big assholes was not helping much.

WoJ

Sep 7, 2015
Undertale. Maybe I just don't get it, but the game bored me to tears. I kept waiting for that moment where everything clicked and it never came. There's some cool stuff in there, but it doesn't deserve the praise that it gets, that's for sure.

Add me to the list of people who don't think GTA is all it's cracked up to be. I really enjoyed Vice City back in what, 2003? But San Andreas is overrated and I never finished 4, and never touched 5. I don't hate GTA, but I don't think it deserves the love it gets.