Games that Everyone loves, But you don't.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Its funny, so many people here doesn't like Witcher 3 that its really me who feels like I'm in minority for loving the game.

I can't comment on GTA 5 since I never played it, but I really didn't like GTA San Andreas, mainly for its way of glorifying gangs and street thugs because that was considered "cool" back then.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Doom 4. I don't know why, but while playing the game I just found myself getting more and more bored until I quit. It's funny because I love the original Doom (and Doom 2).

barbieboy

Dec 28, 2016
Mine would be the Fallout series.

The series is nice and all but it doesn't appeal me that much unlike my friends. I guess I got used to Skyrim (the only game I played from the Elder Scroll series) and it's environment or maybe the apocalyptic setting doesn't really fit to me.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
mysecondlife said:
Its funny, so many people here doesn't like Witcher 3 that its really me who feels like I'm in minority for loving the game.
I've stayed clear of The Witcher 3 because I played the first Witcher and it didn't endear itself to me. I don't like Geralt as a character.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
The God of War games.

I guess I'm just not that angry. I think taking a cool mythology and setting, and having a lead character who murders and rips everything apart with his bare hands like a psycho because something bad happened to him is... stupid.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Canadamus Prime said:
mysecondlife said:
I've stayed clear of The Witcher 3 because I played the first Witcher and it didn't endear itself to me. I don't like Geralt as a character.
If it makes you feel better, the first game is very.....disappointing in many ways. I liked very little about it. The sequels are a lot better.

In fact, the first game is barely even referenced by the time you get to 3 so skipping it entirely doesn't matter much.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
the December King said:
The God of War games.

I guess I'm just not that angry. I think taking a cool mythology and setting, and having a lead character who murders and rips everything apart with his bare hands like a psycho because something bad happened to him is... stupid.
To be fair, that's pretty in-line with a lot of classical mythology anyway...

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Smithnikov said:
the December King said:
The God of War games.

Then I suppose I'm just not a fan of those violent aspects of classical mythology, either- Heracles, Dionysian rites, etc. I mean, I can see how it all lends itself quite well to violent games, I just don't like it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Canadamus Prime said:
mysecondlife said:
If it makes you feel better, the first game is very.....disappointing in many ways. I liked very little about it. The sequels are a lot better.

In fact, the first game is barely even referenced by the time you get to 3 so skipping it entirely doesn't matter much.
Maybe I'll have to give it a chance. Still not keen on Geralt as a character though.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
99% of the popular open world games to come out in the last 10 years. I can only think of two open world titles I actually enjoyed playing and didn't feel like I was playing the same filler over and over again for dozens to hundreds of hours.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
the December King said:
Smithnikov said:
the December King said:
The God of War games.

Then I suppose I'm just not a fan of those violent aspects of classical mythology, either- Heracles, Dionysian rites, etc. I mean, I can see how it all lends itself quite well to violent games, I just don't like it.
Heh, fair enough. Violent over the top macho fantasies are a hit regardless of the era of history you're talking about.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Smithnikov said:
the December King said:
Smithnikov said:
the December King said:
The God of War games.

Heh, fair enough. Violent over the top macho fantasies are a hit regardless of the era of history you're talking about.
And you know, I do like some violent over the top macho fantasies- Conan and Kull stories, for example. But oh well.

I think it's because I like monsters more than people (in my escapism, in my escapism), and love watching them live up to their namesakes more than an ultra-strong man (or woman) just murdering people and animals.

I dunno. But the God of War games just struck me as trying to be super edgy and over the top, and I despised it.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
BuildsLegos said:
mysecondlife said:
I can't comment on GTA 5 since I never played it, but I really didn't like GTA San Andreas, mainly for its way of glorifying gangs and street thugs because that was considered "cool" back then.
I got into GTA because I got the exact opposite impression from San Andreas. CJ only tags along for the early gang missions because without him, his childhood friends would get themselves killed doing things the stupid way. Then, to free his brother from prison, he goes on more exiting adventures for lots of different people. In the final leg of the story, the pretentious gangster and fat gangster both individually betray Grove Street and CJ's brother being an ungrateful prick by insisting CJ should never leave the ghetto. The story at least never seemed to glorify gang culture, it was the subject of ridicule half the time.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but it was the whole "the rival gang has invaded your territory" while you were off doing something important, your crazy girlfriend going "we should do a drive by!" without any sense of irony that had me stop playing.

When I first played it, it was when GTA4 first came out. I came away with the impression that they made a videogame about gang culture because people like 50 cent were at his/her height of popularity and that's what sells.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Any Shin Megami Tensei game that isn't Persona 4. I want to like them, I REALLY do, but there always comes the point where the games do their favorite thing, it can come as early as after the "prologue" or as late as the end of the game but they all, always, turn everything into a massive grind fest.

And it's not just a stat grind fest, if it was just about me spending an hour or two grinding out mobs then that would be one thing, but it also expects you to just KNOW what is the best way to deal with something, it expects you to have a knowledge of the game akin to a Super Mario speed runner.

Take Devil Survivor, I STILL, have not beaten that game because the final boss is a giant brick wall of health and damage while also having several of the previous bosses running around with it and having instant death spells. The games expect you to grind, and not just grind, but grind for the exact right stats, spells, demons, and items to deal with something and it jut drains all my enthusiasm for playing the game.

And I just don't think that's good design. It's one thing to expect someone to use all of the skills they've learned to try and overcome an obstacle, but the sheer amount of time that they expect you to put into grinding things out, especially when you could end up grinding out a set up that turns out to not even WORK, is just too much.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
I have a bit of a complicated relationship with Xenoblade Chronicles. I played the game not knowing what the general consensus was and the first time I got about 20 hours in because I hit a wall where I had a hard time understanding how certain mechanics worked. When the first part of the game is nothing but constant tutorial menus it is hard to take in, and certain things don't stand out to you that are vital for understanding (apparently your abilities have to be a certain level if you want to block certain special attacks, and if you don't know what to look for it can be hard to see it).

Last year I decided to give the game another go and I was having fun for a long time leading up to the big epic fight against Egil. If the game had ended there while most of the characters didn't click with me the environment was interesting enough and overall some good stuff. Then the other stuff happens and it becomes extremely frustrating. Going through I really felt the characters lacked great story arcs. We learn about them at their introduction and later on get some closure on them, but between A and B they are relegated to the background and really don't show much. Mellia is the worst offender, as she has pretty much no presence again until the final story arc. Worse yet is that we get all this new information and have to go against this group that has no motivation going for them. Sure, early on it's obvious there's this group of people in the shadows waiting to strike, but beyond that I have no reason to care what they are doing and why.

Last is that the battle system really shows its flaws late game. For most of the game things are just intense enough that the problems with the battle system isn't too bad. But at the end boss enemies are broken and there doesn't seem to be a middle ground. Take the dragon you fight before entering the final boss area. Every time you hit it you get damaged back and no matter how I equipped myself I died so fast between that and the damage the boss was capable of doing. Worse yet is I would use certain abilities to change fate, but either it didn't work because the level of the attack was too high, or since you can only speed up one party member a second before the attack the enemy switched who it was attacking and I could do nothing. Attacks took so long to refill that I was bored waiting for them to cool down so I could use a move again, since the regular attack the character will swing again after a predetermined time.

Worst thing for me was having to grind which showed how boring and tedious the combat system really is. It took an average of 30 minutes to level up, and going against the same enemy over and over just sitting there as you just have your character auto attack is boring. There is no gratification in any regular enemy battle, and once I actually beat a boss it's not because I had an actual strategy but because apparently going up two more levels made me too OP. In the end I got to level 92 and said screw it and went on to fight the final boss. The fight was a joke because the thing could never hit me and once that ended I was too sour to care about the random left field revelation that didn't seem to really add anything to the overall story.

This game had lots of potential and did certain things right, but there were so many missteps and everything after the Egil fight was just poorly built up and poorly executed that most of my positivity of the game got sapped from those 15 hours of tedium.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I bought Fire Emblem Awakening, kinda liked it, stopped playing at chapter 7, can't force myself to go back to it.

I bought Stella Glow, got to Chapter 5, stopped playing, tried to go back to it, couldn't force myself to continue.

I think I might just not like SRPGs.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Overwatch. Played the beta, and was generally unimpressed. Got the full game, and I haven't played it since before Ana came out. My friend loves it. I just dont understand.

Half Life 2. Everything about it is... ehhhhhh. Its brown and boring, and I just don't care. Its only real saving grace is the Gravity Gun, but you cant hold a game up solely based on a gimmick.

BioShock. Dont get me wrong, I like BioShock, and the whole Andrew Ryan thing towards the end was great, but the actual ending was crap, and it just took its time for the story to really get going. Also, having to swap between your gun and your plasmids was just cumbersome.

Anything by Bethesda. The worlds are huge, and that is pretty much all the games have going for them. They aren't particularly pretty, they aren't mechanically deep, the stories are pretty average at best, and there generally isn't really all that much to do. Theres only so many times that you can enter a cave and kill a group of bandits/ghouls/draugr/whatever, before it starts to become repetitive. The games are a great playground for modding, but the vanilla games themselves are just painfully average. I don't really understand how they've been heralded for so long.

Undertale. I dont think that this game is actually bad, per se, but its more that everyone has held the game up to be the best game ever 10/10 that it has just put me off it. At this point, I find the game to be kinda pretentious. I victim of its own success, I suppose.