Games that EVERYONE should play at least once

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Nouw said:
Doom.

Once you have played Doom, nearly every FPS will be easier or more understandable. I am talking with the mindset of someone who hasn't played videogames in their life.
Oh hell yeah. Not only that, it's probably one of the funnest and most intense games I own.

Oh yeah, and it has TNT and Plutonia. For added awesomeness.

SilentXero

Jul 10, 2008
These are some of my favorite's that I've played over the past 3 years. Enjoy!!

Halo:Reach-just an amazing story and awesome levels after levels, plus awesome multiplayer
Half Life 2-Greatest FPS of all time
Metroid Prime Trilogy- excellent First Person Action/Adventure
Zelda: OOT,MM,and TP (along with all of the NES and Snes games)and cannot wait for Skyward Sword

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Resident Evil 1 and 2 (my favorite two in the series)
Crysis 1 and 2-Freaking awesome FPS action and lots of fun!
Donkey Kong County (snes 1,2,and 3,) Donkey Kong 64, and Donkey Kong Country Returns
Portal
Kotor
Star Wars:Jedi Knight:Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy
Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2-awesome military action!
Call of Duty:Black Ops-Incredible military action, plus multiplayer,plus Zombies!!
Super Mario Wii
Batman :Arkham Asylum
Star Wars:Rouge Leader,Rouge Squadron,Rebel Strike
Star Wars:Republic Commando (halo-like star wars adventure)
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Uncharted 1 and 2
Little Big Planet
God of War 1,2,3
Portal 2
Resistance:Fall of Man, Resistance 2 and the forthcoming Resistance 3 (awesome PS3 FPS)
Gears of War 1,2, and the upcoming 3 (awesome xbox 360 third person shooters)
Fallout 3
Elder Scrolls 4:Oblivion (can't wait until Skyrim)

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Games People should PLAY:
At least one point and click adventure One I'd recommend is 5 days a stranger
Pokemon Games
elder scrolls series
mario
Lemmings,tetris,space invaders
Sims (It is a good game well the original was)
Fallout 3
Any MMO (Any type Eg MMORPG)
Multiplayer text adventures
EDIT: how did I forget
Portal 1 & 2
Half life
EDIT: Again I forgot
Minecraft
Minecraft with mods
(these are ultimaly two different games)
Worst games that need to be played so we don't go back to that standard
ET the game

Steel_crab

Nov 1, 2009
For me, probably Red Dead Redemption - Not my favourite game, but it has story, exploration, edge-of-your-seat battles (sometimes), an interactive setting, a beautiful environment, interesting animals, a greatly balanced list of achievements, and a fun multiplayer experience.

If you don't like at least one of Red Dead Redemption's qualities, you probably won't like most games.

link6616

Jul 16, 2010
Right then, must play games...

Megaman 2/X/Zero 2/Powered up/Maverick Hunter, any of those. You need to play at least one great megaman game, although any megaman game will do.

Mario 1/3/World. One of these mario is essential.

Umihara Kawase Shun Second edition: The DS collection is also worth looking at, but you need to play umihara, one of the best physics platformers.

Shadow of the colossus: Amazing game, ICO is also worth looking at, but I think SotC is easier to really enjoy.

Loom: As far as point and clicks go, loom will let you enjoy what makes the genre work, and never need to worry about the pitfalls in the genre for the most part. Steam version is good.

Portal 1/2, either, although I suggest both, they will be the fondly remembered games of this generation, these will be the mario brothers for the 2000s.

SMT: Persona 3/4 either or, I suggest persona 3 portable most though. One of the best JRPGs of all time.

Chrono Trigger: Amazing game, so much is said about it

DQ 4/5/8/9, the others are good, but these are probably the better examples of what the series is.

Street Fighter 2 (preferably HDR): Classic fighter that still holds up just as well as the best of the modern.

Castlevania Symphony of the night: Amazing game, although I prefer Dawn of sorrow.

Super Metroid

Sonic 3 and knuckles: One of the best platformers ever made.

PainKiller: interesting FPS that goes for pure fun.

Bayonetta: The ultimate evolution of DMC, which was for a while, the ultimate evolution of the Street of rage style side scrolling beat em up.

Bangai O, classic amazing shooter.

Sin and Punishment 2: Much improved from the first.

Ikaruga: One of the best shooters made

Gunstar Heroes: Run and gun, contra, but not so evil.

Lemmings: One of the classic puzzle games

Tetris: See lemmings

World of Goo: See Tetris

Links awakening DX: Shows what a handheld can do.

Ocarina of time: Revolution in games

Maljoras mask: Shows how little the engine defines a game.

Mario 64/Galaxy, amazing platformer

There is soo much more I could write, but this will do for now.

lovestomooch

Jun 14, 2010
Metroid has been mentioned, but I would say Metroid Prime because it was one of the first few games in which story was built into gameplay through atmoshere and the world. Also, it was beautiful.

JackWestJr

Apr 9, 2011
Portal, Shadow of the Colossus, Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3, definately Pong, Metal Gear Solid, Halo 1, Lemmings, Worms, Flower, BIT.TRIP.BEAT.

I am very tempted to say the Uncharted series, they are excellent games (my favorite series), but they just aren't neccessary to play for a none gamer. Maybe watch however...

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Ultima 7
M.U.L.E.
Planescape Torment
System Shock 2
Warzone 2100
Forbidden Forest
Riven
Longest Journey

probably Braid as it was ingenious on many levels.

Mar 9, 2010
veloper said:
There is not one, because not every genre appeals to everyone.

But if there was, it would have to be a game that runs on any aged old laptop, else not everyone will play it.
This is my time to shine:

Rome Total War
Knights of the Old Republic
Morrowind
Fallout 2

They will play on pretty much any laptop, heck they play on my 1.3GHz netbook for God's sake. They're also all classics that did what they were meant to do at an incredible standard, they are a must for gamers to play. Great thing is, they're all cheap as hell now too.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Braid.

Also, I will never understand why anyone would put Tales of Symphonia on this list. I played through the whole thing mostly because there are very few multiplayer RPGs of that sort, but I was rarely impressed by it beyond that. The plot was long and relatively complicated, but not good by any estimation. The characters were interesting, but the voice acting was so painfully awful that most of the interest was displaced by mild horror. The battle system was interesting, but the AI was terrible and required constant babysitting. Every good thing about it was balanced out by a worse thing, and there weren't too many good things going for it in the first place. The whole thing felt generic, rushed, and supremely mediocre.