Games that have a lot of towns and cities in them?

Randoman01

Apr 19, 2013
What are some games that have a lot of towns and cities throughout the game world? I have been interested in playing some open world games or some MMO games that have a lot of towns and cities scattered throughout the land. Places to travel while you are questing and things like that. What games have the most towns and cities in them? No, GTA and Sim City do not count.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Maybe State of Decay?
Dragon's Dogma has a few.
Mass Effect is good too!

WoW would be the predominate candidate, obviously. Diablo II and III. Fallout 3 and New Vegas, though I think New Vegas has like...2-4 more friendly towns.
Skyirm, Morrowind, Oblivion, etc...

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
WoW is definitely the best MMO for what you're looking for. Each faction has five capitol cities which are all very different from each, dozens more small towns and settlements, and few neutral capitols as well.

Bethesda's RPGs are very good for single-player games with towns/cities. The recent Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is another very good game for city explorers.

Not sure if this game counts for you (since you mentioned GTA doesn't count), but Red Dead Redemption is also very good if you're looking for a wild-west feeling world. There's a large somewhat-modern city, several smaller and more primitive settlements, and a few Mexican-style settlements as well.

bdeamon

Mar 20, 2013
Dragon Age and Dragon Age: Inquisition have a lot of area to explore. I also enjoyed sailing around and exploring islands in Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. You might also like the Way of the Samurai series. It is a little hard to get into, but after you figure out how the game works, there is a lot to discover.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Mount and Blade Warband has what... about 22 towns, 48 Castles and probably close to 60 or so villages? Spread across 6 different factions with their own distinct cultures, too.

TranshumanistG

Sep 24, 2014
Elder Scrolls: Arena and Daggerfall.
Minecraft.
Dwarf Fortress (adventure mode if you want to actually travel between them).
Battlecruiser Millenium allows you to visit many planets with many cities/bases on them.
Just Cause 1 and 2.

Sofox

Jan 3, 2014
The Secret World does have a number of locations, the hub worlds are sections of New York (Brooklyn specifically), London and Seoul (obviously very different from one another), and the first location you visit is a really awesome implementation of a Maine fishing village with streets, fire department and everything. I haven't got much further, but I know there are other locations.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
As been said before, I would recommend Mount and Blade Warband in that case, it's basicly unique in the sense that it's a open world medieval setting that incorporates no magic or fantasy elements.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
The Witcher 3. Although there's only two major cities (Novigrad is huge. It's like a real medieval city), a couple of smaller ones and the rest are scattered little villages and forts. But the game is amazing and simply enormous.

Another one that comes to mind is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Plenty of land to explore. It's REALLY big. And plenty of cities to visit with a lot of interiors to enter, houses to buy and upgrade etc. The game feels like a single player MMO with better combat because it's hack & slash. It's a really good and a really big and long game.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
TranshumanistG said:
Elder Scrolls: Arena and Daggerfall.
Minecraft.
Dwarf Fortress (adventure mode if you want to actually travel between them).
Battlecruiser Millenium allows you to visit many planets with many cities/bases on them.
Just Cause 1 and 2.
Daggerfall has hundreds of towns and cities. But they are all randomly generated. In that respect it puts the sequels to shame.

Also Kingdom of Amalur. Great game but it gets to easy towards the end

TranshumanistG

Sep 24, 2014
trunkage said:
Daggerfall has hundreds of towns and cities. But they are all randomly generated. In that respect it puts the sequels to shame.
Sorry, I don't understand. The 'but' at the start of second sentence implies negativity in cities being randomly generated. But the third sentence implies that it is a positive aspect. Can you rephrase?

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
A couple of people have already mentioned it, but Witcher 3 fits the description perfectly. I read it might have 100+ hours of content, and I gotta say, being 50 hours in myself, that seems accurate. The world is full of little villages and most of them have at least a couple of people wanting help with various monster related problems. I've still got like 30+ open quests in my journal :)

Any Elder Scrolls game is a good pick too.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King I remember had a plethora of villages, towns, cities, kingdoms, etc.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
TranshumanistG said:
trunkage said:
Sorry, I don't understand. The 'but' at the start of second sentence implies negativity in cities being randomly generated. But the third sentence implies that it is a positive aspect. Can you rephrase?
The number of towns put the sequels to shame. Many of the towns have their own flavour. But you get tired of seeing the same sort of town over and over due to the random generation (as the generator is very limited in what it can do).

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
I'm not sure about quantity, but for quality look no further than my avatar pic.