Devil May Cry 3
Resident Evil 4
Age of The Empires
Unreal Tournament

Quite a lot now that I think about it

Aposthebest

Mar 17, 2010
Yassen said:
I'd say Oddworld Abe's Oddysee and Exodus. They're simple 2D platformers that have an amazing setting, incredible atmosphere and constantly has me on the edge of my seat even today. It's just so fun.
Backing this one up,I have yet to find the feeling these 2 offer in any other game.Not only that,but the back-story is quite detailed as well and reflects modern society quite well if you ask me.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2 ToB and IWD2.

New mods are *still* being made for them, they run at modern resolutions (with mods) and the art is great. What's not to like?

I'd also say:
Homeworld (1+2)
Space Hulk 2: Vengeance of the Blood Angels
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
and Freespace 2 have aged fairly well and are all very playable today.

DeeWiz

Aug 25, 2010
stoprequesting said:
Marik Bentusi said:
Homeworld I'd say. Still beautiful to look at and the story and atmosphere are still something.

Spaaaace.
QFT. No other game I know of can use Adiago for Strings as the BGM and still hold up its end of the cinematic.
Homeworld is still one of the most haunting and lonely SP games out there (SotC being the other) Also on of 2 games that has made space feel like space, the other being Nexus the Jupiter incident, which for 2003 still holds up very well. I still play both on my projector.

As for as the stick jockey games, while a favorite of mine (esp TIE Fight, first game I paid for it came on 5 floppys!) are more WWII in space. The above games, while not exactlt realistic, you can still see retro rockets and opposite thrust being applied.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I think Max Payne and Half-Life 2 have aged pretty well. Unreal Tournament 2004, too, i think.
Nothing else comes to mind right now..

sexbutler

Nov 18, 2010
Rollercoaster Tycoon 1. I have lost more of my life to that game than any other, ever. I played it constantly for 6 years. I finished every scenario at least twice. And to this day watching guests mill about, giant coasters hit 150km/h and of course crashing things fills me with unbridled joy. Excellent user interface (much better than 3, havent played 2 though), kitschy graphics and a fantastic game play mechanic. It will never get old.

ps ageofmythologyjediacademyneedforspeedhighstakes

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Tetris, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, FEAR, Painkiller, Unreal, and quite a few more I'm not thinking of.

[small]The last three aren't that old, but they still count.[/small]
Mario, Zelda and Metroid are franchises and not standalone games. While most entries in those franchises did age very well, there are some exceptions: like Wrecking Crew (a pretty bland and forgettable early NES game with Mario in it), Zelda II (an interesting experiment that starts out too difficult but actually turns out quite good once you keep playing, I still wouldn't say it aged well because of this difficulty and the harsh penalty of getting a Game Over) and the first Metroid (too difficult and confusing due to the lack of a map system, it's also incredibly annoying that your energy is reduced to 30 after you die. This doesn't make it a bad game but now it only appeals to a pretty small group of gamers. The GBA remake is great, though).

And too answer the question myself: The Secret of Monkey Island practically hasn't aged at all and is still just as fun now as it was in 1990. No nostalgia filter necessary.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Okami and Devil May Cry 3 (which even for it's time wasn't breath-taking)
Kingdom Hearts II

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
Pretty much the whole 2D library on the SNES, in particular Chrono Trigger, Secret of {Mana|Evermore}, Terranigma, Super Metroid and Super Castlevania IV.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Super metroid!

also Im going to say half life 2, it almost has its own visual style

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
I'll say any of the Crash Bandicoot games that Naughty Dog made. The cartoony style still works and they're extremely solid platformers. Crash Team Racing will always be a classic in my eyes as well.

smudgey

May 8, 2008
stoprequesting said:
But I also just played Super Metroid. Ho. Lee. Shiat. That is literally one of the most flawlessly designed games I've ever seen in terms of balance, pacing, difficulty, etc.
This man speaketh thy truth! It'd be great if more games rewarded you for speedrunning...

OT: Terranigma, a.k.a. possibly the greatest RPG EVAR. You make a decision in Mass Effect and.... sweet fuck all happens. You make a decision or complete certain side missions in Terranigma, and towns grow into cities. And this was a damn SNES game! Revolutionary, i tells ya!

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Drunkern_Hobo said:
I'd say Ghosts n Goblins has aged fantastically. You wanna go back and remember how challenging games used to be before regenerating health and when defeating a boss actually felt like a success. Thats the game i go back to if i want to be tested as a gamer in this world of infinite continues and quicksaves.
*shudder* Limited continues is not a good thing! :( god I must have played through that whole game so many times just trying to get to the next area...

I'd say any Nintendo main series, stuff like Super Metroid and Mario are still really fun to play.

Riesel87

May 2, 2011
Metal Gear Solid 2 still looks amazing, it could almost pass off as an early 360 game