Games that have aged incredibly well.

mcsestretch

Jan 6, 2011
Diablo II
Fallout 1 and 2
Masters of Orion 2
Quake III Arena
Any of the Civ series
Alpha Centauri (why oh why haven't they made a remake of this!)

Pseudopod

Oct 8, 2010
I agree that a lot of 2d games have aged better than 3d games, since they suffer less from the graphics looking dated. The SNES/Genesis era is the most consistent, with most of the good titles from that era remaining good today. Same with GBA games. The NES is not as consistent to me since a lot of games seem more frustrating, thanks to a lack of saving combined with difficulty. Metroid, Mario 3, Legend of Zelda, Kirby's Adventure, and others are still fun. Nintendo titles in general tend to age well, actually. Even their N64 stuff has suffered less than most games from that era, especially Mario 64.

On the PS1, 2d sprite based games like Suikoden II and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night are amazing today. While I don't think FFVII has aged that well, FFIX and Chrono Cross are very playable today.

A lot of old PC strategy games and RPGs are still great now, too. HOMM 3 and Age of Mythology come to mind immediately, plus those classic Black Isle/Bioware RPGs. I've replayed KOTOR and Planescape recently and still found them to be a blast. Same with Fallout 2, which I played for the first time a couple years ago.

franconbean

Apr 30, 2011
Its probably been said 100 replies ago, but i would vouch for Ocarina of Time. I still love those graphics :3, the game remains a joy to play. I'm getting all nostalgic just thinking about it.

Also, the original X-com has aged well imo, even if it was pixel art graphics. I guess thats mainly because its way better than the modern remakes that have tried to copy it.

gardyna

Jun 7, 2010
Jak series (some of the best action platforming you will ever find)(and yes I would pick any Jak game over any Mario ever released)

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
Pikmin for sure! Its still very playable and it is infact a very pretty game with ots of interesting environment. You can play it all the time and never get fed up to!

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Let's be honest: The Playstation Final Fantasy VII still feels just as good (and bad) in all of the same places as they did in the 90's. I've played each twice (in IX's case, three times) over that period and determined this.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
thewaever said:
I'm thinking the original Final Fantasy Tactics has aged really well.

It's an incredibly playable game with tons of replay value. The graphics aren't 3D, but then again, they don't need to be. The new cut scenes in the PSP re-release were nice to see, but the rewritten script & voice acting were alittle strange. That's why I prefer the original over the remake.
I agree

GeneUnit

Feb 26, 2011
StarCraft has done pretty well I'd say. I still love the graphics of it, and, aside from only 12 units selectable at a time, its gameplay is very smooth.

The PS2 Ace Combat series entries are still amazing. Pretty good graphics for early 2000s flight games on the console, amazing music, and great gameplay. They are probably my favorite series ever.

MrTeles

Aug 17, 2010
spectrenihlus said:
Age of Empires 2.
This! Nothing beats getting a bunch of friends together and play AOE2 4x4! What I really like in team games is that even if you are not an expert you are able to enjoy the game. I remember last time I played I was teammed you a guy that was playing for the first time. After 1hour and a half he had almost no army whatsoever but he had a shi*load of resources that we used to fuel my army and swarm the other players :)

DeadeyeDuck89

Sep 22, 2010
Spacelord said:
May I nominate Streets of Rage and Sonic 3?
I totally agree with the Streets of Rage. Recently played the Megadrive version with a friend, one crazy uni night and I can't describe the fun!!

Also, the original Mortal Kombat. Yea, I know it fell a long way (especially MK vs. DC) but you can't beat uppercutting your opponent into a huge pool of acid, then watching their skeleton float away...

"GET OVER HERE!!!!" Best line. ever.

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
I don't know if anyone has said it, if so I missed it, but... Super Metroid! It's the 3rd oldest game I have, or indeed played (not counting Tetris and Pacman, since I haven't played the originals) and it is, according to me, the most well made game ever. Even graphically I think it's still superior to more than half of all the new games today, even though it's an SNES game.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Adam28 said:
Pretty much every classic big hit e.g. Super Mario Bros, Pac-Man, Tetris etc.

As for myself;

- Dungeon Keeper (Graphics haven't aged very well but it is still great fun)
- Abe's Oddyssey (Great 2D gameplay and the opening cutscene never gets old http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_R6hzBxzAs)
- KOTOR (Graphics are still nice and it doesn't matter how many times I play through it, it is still enjoyable)
What this guy said, although I'd add:
- Abe's Exoddus
- Theme Hospital
- Populous: The Beginning

Yay for Bullfrog and Oddworld.