Games that Lived up to the Hype

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
So escapist, after running out of stand-up comedies on netflix and going through a temporary unemployment... I decided to finally getting around to spec-ops the line. I've had it sitting in my steam library installed and ready to go for a couple of weeks now time to see that it lived up to the hype.

And damn... I feel emotionally drained, never has a video game, or even a movie has hit me as hard as spec-ops the line.

Anyways games that lived up to the hype for you?

EDIT: Doesn't have to Be current Gen.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Well alot of games have exceeded my expectations of them. I guess Fallout 3 would be a good example. I was excited going into it and it both met and exceeded all my hopes and expectations. I ended up sinking over 500 hours with the vanilla version and even more with mods.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Skyrim.

That's about it.

I love Skyrim. I've played a lot of hyped games but instantly forgot about them the second I stopped playing.

al4674

May 27, 2011
Arkham City, Dark Souls, Uncharted 2, MGS 3, Hitman: Blood Money, GTA San Andreas, Morrowind off the top of my head.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Dead Space 2.

Having never played Dead Space before, I was a bit skeptical about a corridor shooter featuring "space zombies". That game was BETTER then everyone was saying. I fell head over heels in love with it.

Starcraft 2.

I already had a feeling it would be good. But I think it deserves credit for being the sequel to the best RTS of all time, and still managing to please most people. When the expectations are that high, the most tiny things can piss off half a fanbase.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
original prince of persia (or 3d time travel remake at least)
seriously the game came out of nowhere and it was awesome

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
imahobbit4062 said:
I was like this, I flat out refused to buy it at first because I really wanted another Elder Scrolls game instead. Then I decided to play it.

Holy shit. Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I've bought it twice (regular and GOTY) and have a total of like...9 characters I think? It's so addicting.
I'm glad to see that someone else understands the greatness of Fallout 3.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
imahobbit4062 said:
I spent a solid year on that game. Got every trophy on PS3 and 1000GS on a 360 version I borrowed. I even preordered the CE of New Vegas without having a working console because of 3.
I did the same. Played it for a solid year and got the max achievement score on the base game and all the DLC. Then when I built my gaming PC I bought it again in a steam sale and played for another solid year with mods. I have high, high hopes for Fallout 4.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
As Rawne1980 already said, Skyrim. It was hyped to all hell and still came out fantastic. I love it so much and can't wait for dragonborn next week!

Kirov Reporting

Jan 12, 2013
MGS2 - After getting the demo with ZoE and playing that somewhere around 200 times until I knew the layout of the ship better than my own face, I rushed to get the full game on launch day. Read the manual cover to cover on the way home, and when I popped the disc in and turned the PS2 on.. It didn't get turned off again until the end credits finished.

It met, exceeded, and made the hype look insignificant by comparison.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Kirov Reporting said:
MGS2 - After getting the demo with ZoE and playing that somewhere around 200 times until I knew the layout of the ship better than my own face, I rushed to get the full game on launch day. Read the manual cover to cover on the way home, and when I popped the disc in and turned the PS2 on.. It didn't get turned off again until the end credits finished.

It met, exceeded, and made the hype look insignificant by comparison.
I played MGS2 myself recently.
There was a lot of hate with Raiden going on despite him being his own character and being interesting. back then apparently. Seeing raiden in MGS4 first gave a much different point of view though.
Then I saw MGSRising.
Then I played MGS2.
everything clicked perfectly. This along with the story of MGS and other characters supporting him in MGS2 made things work so well.
Even in the meta of MGS he has a goal of sorts.(replace snake as the main character)
The creator even said he was tired of snake and wanted to wrap things up. which he did with MGS4.
Now he's just finishing everything the boss did and only Raiden is left.
A lot can be said for a creator pulling off what he wanted to pull off.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Rainbow Six: Raven Shield. After Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear (and some expansions), the bar was set pretty high. Raven Shield changed up a lot of things, but it was clear from the moment I started up the MP demo (released a few weeks I think before the game) that this was so much better. I didn't stop playing the demo until the game released, and it was a couple of years before I stopped playing the full game.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
I think Borderlands 2 lived up to the hype and transcended it! :O

Well that and Far Cry 3.

... I don't watch alot of trailers and don't keep up with the hype. >~>

Kirov Reporting

Jan 12, 2013
GrimHeaper said:
There was a lot of hate with Raiden going on despite him being his own character and being interesting. back then apparently. Seeing raiden in MGS4 first gave a much different point of view though.
Largely because it was a bait-and-switch. Expectations were for another rip-roaring Snake adventure, and I can completely understand how people felt cheated that Raiden was slipped in instead. However he didn't bother me - he still had all the necessary moves comparable to those that made Snake a badass, and his backstory was interesting enough to make him a different and compelling character - on a par with Snake, I don't know if I would say 'better' or 'worse', or even if such comparisons are valid.

If I liked the whole game less, I might blame it on Raiden and consider him symptomatic of a decline in quality, but as the game was simply incredibly deep I have nothing to pass blame for.

I haven't played the Rising demo yet, but it's really interesting to see that the vision for Raiden is reaching its zenith!

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Most recently probably Starcraft 2 and The Witcher 2.

Starcraft 2 might have had a fairly cheesy story but that's really the biggest complaint I can level against the game, and even then I still enjoyed the story corny or not. Meanwhile the gameplay, the visuals, just everything else about the game displays a level of professionalism rarely seen in the gaming industry with not a serious bug to be found even on release. It's also one of very few games out there that got me competing competitively online for a bit which considering my usual relaxed approach to any online game is a feat worthy of praise in itself.

Witcher 2 meanwhile was from a still largely unproven developer and with cinematic trailers like this my expectations were high. I mean seriously, Witcher 2 had some of the best trailers I've ever seen for a game! Anyway end product had a bit of an abrupt ending and I had performance issues when it first launched, but even so it quickly became one of the most satisfying games I'd played in ages. Easily an improvement over the first in nearly every way and with a single product proving CDProjekt RED can make games that rival the best of any other developer out there. Then add in the absolutely amazing post-release support and I'm hooked!

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
For me it was Far Cry III and Baldur's Gate II.

You embryos probably don't remember all the PC Gamer magazines dedicated to that series. Baldur's Gate II had a LOT of hype.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
About the only games I can in good conscience say lived up to whatever hype there was has to be the Arkham games.