Games that made you cry

MarreckSteel

Feb 11, 2009
I got 3. RPG's to boot. First we got Valkyria Chronicles. for those of you that know, you know my pain. I can never play Mulberry Shore without knowing what awaits at the end. It gets harder every time.

The sequel was no better hitting you with not one but 2 character deaths. The death of Juliana came as a bit of a surprise for me when I played and just at a point when we were starting to see her redeem herself. For me, I'll admit that I got teary eyed. And Leon's was a bit of a surprise as well. Not as much of a tearjerker, but you still weren't expecting it.

Lastly, need I say anything more then the ending of Persona 3? The good ending I mean. Like beating the final boss and not making a bad decision earlier in the game. That ending hit me like a goddamn train and I was literally crying for the better part of a half hour. Even writing about it is getting to me. I have never seen an ending that sad before and I don't think i will again.

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
I say this in every thread like this.

In Ace Combat 5,

Wardog is doing a ceremonial flyover of a stadium in November City when they are attacked by Yuktobanian fighters that actually turn out to be Belkan or whatever, but anyway, in the battle, Chopper is hit. He can't regain control of his aircraft, and he knows he's going to die. His normal personality is replaced by a somber one, which is depressing for Chopper anyhow, and after he realizes he can't eject, he winds up steering his plane into the empty stadium in order to keep it from crashing into a residence.

Tears were shed.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
OHSHI-Wait, I can't forget about Drakengard. Depressing as shit, worst was in Drakengard 2.

Fuck that, and the kicker is by having her killed he dies as well because of their pact from the first game.

Watery eyes.

brubobaggins

Jun 16, 2011
Well... there was the moment in KOTOR right near the end when Bastila Shan confesses her love to you... what can I say, I was a lonely kid?

And, basically every half an hour of Bastion brought forth a tear or two. The music in that game makes it so much more emotive... if you want a specific example? This bit killed me...

Just realised both of these things are more along the lines of tears of joy, rather than being brought upon by more negative emotions... pardon me I do think I've just learnt something about myself! Huh.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
these two

infamous 2, the story and the fun fun fun game play makes it one of my games of the year, but cry? I blubbed like a baby!

MMSouthpawVIII

Sep 5, 2008
kman123 said:
Ahhh how I love this thread. Because I can just plug my favorite game of this generation and still the ONLY game to legitimately make me cry.

The Darkness.

Both the end of Act 1 (though more shocked than crying) and the very end (full blown tears).
"Am I dreaming?"
"Yes. You have to wake up now" ;____;

mrm5561 said:
when Carlos died in saints row 2 it blew my mind, still the saddest think i've ever seen in a game
I just played through that mission a few minutes ago with a friend. I forgot how serious Saints Row 2 could be. Great moment.

OT: I would like to add Sniper Wolf (need i say more?)

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
MajorTomServo said:
This. If this didnt tear you up a bit, you are a cold-hearted fiend.

Thanks for making me not have to link to that. Also, the end credits song afterwards just rubbed it in.
Now, for a game ending that almost made me cry simply because of how terrible and shocking it was (and how I felt really bad for the main character).
As for crying in sadness, the aformention MGS3 was one, but any of the endings from Silent Hill 2 (save the dog ending/alien ending) were really depressing. Maybe it's just because of how sad and washed out James sounds when he talks, combined with the already saddening subject matter and Akira Yamaoka's ability to create depression in musical format.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
One bit of Bastion made me tear up but that wasn't from sadness.

Level when your just walking along and dat song begins with the Narrator talking over it

Also cries of frustration at Super Meatboy

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
MMSouthpawVIII said:
kman123 said:
Ahhh how I love this thread. Because I can just plug my favorite game of this generation and still the ONLY game to legitimately make me cry.

The Darkness.

Both the end of Act 1 (though more shocked than crying) and the very end (full blown tears).
"Am I dreaming?"
"Yes. You have to wake up now" ;____;

mrm5561 said:
when Carlos died in saints row 2 it blew my mind, still the saddest think i've ever seen in a game
I just played through that mission a few minutes ago with a friend. I forgot how serious Saints Row 2 could be. Great moment.

OT: I would like to add Sniper Wolf (need i say more?)
no you should not say anymore because i've worked long and hard to block that scene outa my mind... its so beautiful and depressing

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
Gammayun said:
Now an amazing thing for a game is for it get you emotionally invested in the story, some even mannage to get the audience to cry (doesnt include crysis cause it killed your computer). Now the only game that i know has made me cry is the ending to mass effect 2 overlord dlc.

Does anyone have a game that made them cry or at least shed a tear.

This. I cried so hard at the end of this. I will go ahead and say that out of all of mass effect 2's awesome DLC, this was by far and away the greatest. The sheer sadness and rage it makes you feel... wow.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Every Metal Gear Solid...though 4 made me cry giant manly crocodile tears until
snake lives
which then made me the angriest guy in the world.

I'd also say Final Fantasy VI, X and XIII.

I think one of the Phoenix Wright titles did though I don't remember why.

There are probably more.

I got a little teary eyed in Kingdom Hearts 2 when
goofy dies
but they then turned into tears of joy when
goofy doesn't die and is infact just knocked unconcious, such a cool guy :_)

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
The end of Professor Layton and the Unwound Future made me tear up. It is pretty depressing.

ColorfulObscurity

Mar 1, 2009
I have cried over every single Kingdom Hearts game.
I think this post sums it up quite nicely. [http://rilu-chan.tumblr.com/post/9635323290/kingdom-hearts-games-and-their-endings]

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
The only game to ever bring out the tears was Arkham City. More specifically, the Pay Your Respects trophy.

Mar 26, 2008
The good ending of the original Bioshock brought me to tears, as did John Marsten's death in Red Dead Redemption.

Other than that, Carlos' death in Saints Row 2 was undeniably tragic.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Yeah but I can't remember which, it's been a very long time since a game did.

I sometimes get a little emotional when I think of friends long gone from days long past, playing MMOs like EverQuest.

Acryllous my friend, wherever you are, I miss you.