Games that make you feel lonely

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
Absolutely any game that has no multiplayer. Each time I play Oblivion or Mass Effect, I'm very aware that it's just me in that particular universe.

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
Half Life 2, RDR, Metro 2033, Dark Souls, Dead Space.

Sometimes the feeling of loneliness is because of the desperate struggle to survive, other times perhaps the main character's physical isolation from his/her home and loved ones, or the feeling that the rest of humanity is depending on YOU alone to save them!

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
Lux-Pain. Or any other game where there's a strong focus on building relationships with other characters. Mostly because I'll reach the end and realize that A) I really was attached to those guys, and I miss them and B) I don't really have close friends like that (anymore), which is always depressing to remember.

Weirdly, I don't get feelings of loneliness from SOTC and Silent Hill 2 and all those other games where you really are, for all intents and purposes, alone. Possibly because it serves as a reminder to myself that "Hey, at least you're not these guys."

chaosyoshimage said:
The World Ends With You, the moral of the story is to open up to people which is something that's impossible for me to do and it only reminds me of how hard it is. Doesn't help that the game is set in bustling Shibuya and I live in the middle of nowhere...
Agreed, although I really do love that game.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Minecraft (singleplayer). A huge world, all of your brilliant creations, and nobody to see it except you, in your little house, locking doors to hold the zombies back.

I must say, I enjoy that feeling as well. But not so much if there's just loneliness to be had. It's best if there's loneliness coupled with the possibility of companionship - there are people in this world, they're just miles away right now, and out of reach.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Deverfro said:
inFamous 2 did it as well. Being this outcast and hated by everyone for having super powers, can be heavy stuff if you play it too long and it really gets into your head. Which is why I can never be evil in that game, despite how ace Nix is.
play as evil and you'll feel even lonlier, Nix is hardly there and the evil ending well...
I didn't like it (yes there were tears!)

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
The Metroid Prime Trilogy. The each sequel gives you more social contact than the title before it, but they're all just so isolating. In the first one, you have absolutely no friends at all. And I know that lack of dialogue alone cannot create a sense of isolation, but the only spoken words you hear in the first Metroid Prime is "beacon received" when your suit detects a new upgrade. The only relying that happens is between you and Samus; and that makes it more personal than the usual "the entire f*****g galxy is at stake." And while in Metroid games the entire f*****g galaxy usually is at stake, it doesn't bother to try and drive that home like most games try (and usually fail) to do; as gamers, we've saved the world enough times to render that almost meaningless.
Instead the real stakes, and they *do* drive this home pretty well, are yourself and Samus; I personally connected with her in a way that I haven't done with any other character since. You both share the success and you both share the failure. It's this personal connection that gave me a sense of "lonely companionship," where you have yourselves and nobody else. 2 and 3 add some more characters, but for the most part it stays pretty solitary.

Deverfro

Aug 2, 2009
I was tearing up in the evil one, took me ages to finish off Zeke. DAMN YOU SUCKER PUNCH! xD