Games that make you lose track of time.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
GZGoten said:
Civ 5, any other answer would be; well, WRONG
Civilization is the only game I can sit down, decide to only play one round and actually just play one round. That doesn't change the fact that I sit up all night playing that one round.

Few games can make me lose completely track of time like Civilization, even having played some games for longer I have always been aware of that I've been playing them for too long.

However Saints Row 2 and I had some of these encounters. Planning to play one hour or so, 6 hours later I had not finished a single quest, just been dicking around.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Walter Byers said:
I'm totally getting that with Borderlands 2 right now. Deathtrap and I go on some serious rampages. I forget about quests and just go from spawn point to spawn point destroying stuff. It's pretty fun seeing how long I can keep my robot pal going.
Basicly this, except that I do that to gett Anarchy, causing electronic storms and digistruct explosions. Honestly, Gaige should have been an on disc character instead of Maya.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Dishonored and Dark Souls win this award. DS in particular with its difficulty and Dishonored proves how much of a kleptomaniac I really was. Damn bone charms. And for some reason Super Mario Bros 3 wins this for me. Once again, the difficulty keeps me playing.

Oct 2, 2012
pilouuuu said:
The Sims games. And right now XCOM Enemy Unknown. It has that just one more turn quality to it. And then you get to the base and say let's fiddle some bit here. And then you're on a new mission! And it's 2 am.
How is X-Com? My funds are limited but I was thinking of grabbing it off of steam.

Any game, seriously. I can pick a random game off my shelf and play it until my eyes give my brain a good smack... or somebody yells at me. I've forgotten meals, bathroom breaks, a couple days of my life, you name it.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I never can play longer than an hour, except for Civ 4. That game makes me sit in my chair for hours on end.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I actually have this a lot. It's kind of an issue, sometimes. Infamous, Fallout, Just Cause 2, Minecraft (Oh ye gods, Minecraft so hard.), Skyrim, various Legend of Zeldas, RPGs in general, sandbox games in general. Afternoons, evenings, nights, and mornings will fly by. Take one skinner box, apply to large open world with plenty to see, and call me in the morning?

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Any turn based strategy game does it for me. Disciples especially. I freaking love Disciples.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Any good turn-based strategy game like the Civilization or Total War games. If I've nothing more important to do (and sometimes, even when I do), it's far too easy to spend the better part of a day conducting my campaign. I've had to stop sitting down to play such games any later than 8-9 PM or so, lest I end up playing them well into the early hours and thus ruining my sleep schedule yet again.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
The Wykydtron said:
Freaking LoL. Those games are so long, thinking "i'll just play one more!" boom it's one in the morning and you haven't eaten tea yet. Ya once you start shaking fucking eat something noob!

Also Persona 4 when I first went through it. JUST ONE MORE DAY. ONE MORE DAY!

[sub]I can stop whenever I want. I just don't want to[/sub]
I had the same experience with Persona 4. Just had to keep playing one extra day or one more dungeon level. Next thing I know it's 2:00am and I've got to go to work in a few hours. Fantastic game.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
i had absolutely no track of time when i was playing lineage 2 but it was long time ago.

Now it's various J-RPGs.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
ShinyCharizard said:
Welcome to the Escapist forums!

Anyway, on topic...

Two games in particular come to mind for me. The first is Counter-Strike. Back when I was in high school I played a lot of Counter-Strike. For a while I even played it competitively (I was never anything special, but I was able to buy a used car with my tournament winnings when I got my driver's license). I'd sit down at my computer with the intention of only playing a couple rounds before bed, but I'd make up excuses to keep on playing rather than going to sleep. Oh, that round was pretty short, I think I've got time for another... oh man, now I'm doing ridiculously well, I'll just stick around until the next map... hey, I love this map, I think I can stay up just a bit longer for a couple more rounds... wait, is that my goddamn alarm clock going off?

The second game was Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2. This was another game that I played competitively for a while. At one point I regularly ranked within the top-10 players on the tournament ladder, and I was so focused on increasing that rank that I actually managed to outright miss Thanksgiving dinner with my family. They weren't pleased.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Happened when I played the Last Story a couple months ago. I'd sit on my bed and get up about two hours later realizing what I had done XD Also, Magic 2013 on the Xbox. I really need to stop, hehe.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
God since October 9th It's been Xcom enemy unknown. I tell my wife I am going to stay up and play for an hour when she takes the baby to bed and I don't mean to lie, I really don't! But before I know it I have done a dozen missions and it's 5 in the morning. Every. Goddamn. Time.

This games destroying my home life and I can't help but love it. This is what men with mistresses must feel equal parts utter shame and sheer pleasure.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
The Force Unleashed was a horrific time-eater when I played it. Literally, I could sit down and before I thought to check the time an hour had passed, it was ridiculous.

D-Ray

Oct 4, 2011
Rock Band 3

It comnines my 2 favorite things in life....Music and Video Games. So, I can easily play for hours.

o_O

Jul 19, 2009
The only game where I truly lost track of time, where I actually feel like, "Okay, I've played for an hour. I'm done. Wait. It's been six? The fuck?" was Flow.

I've had plenty of games that suck me in and make me disregard what time it is, but never to completely lose a sense of time like that before.

...Probably helps that that was literally what Flow was built to do...