Games that peaked too soon

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
So I just started Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance again after losing my save a while back, and reflecting back on it... It never really gets much more awesome and hype than throwing a Metal Gear around and running on its rockets. It really peaked in its intro, and I don't mean that what comes after is bad. Oh no anything but. But it never really gets that level of badass.

So which other games do you think peaked too soon, regardless of whether they stayed cool afterwards or not?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I feel like this is a common theme for Platinum games. The most over the top part of Nier was absolutely the first level. After that it's more quiet and contemplative. Even the ending doesn't come close in terms of over the top action.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Batman Arkham Origins. For some reason the developers decided to finish the driving focus of the plot around the middle of the game and had Batman chasing after Bane for a few hours. It's almost like they realized how short the game would've been and decided to use Bane to pad out more gameplay.

Jan 19, 2016
Dragon Age Inquisition - The Battle of Haven (intro of the main villain) is about 1/5 of the way through the game and is the high point of the entire thing. The final boss fight ends up being a damp squib compared to the first encounter.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Fox12 said:
I feel like this is a common theme for Platinum games. The most over the top part of Nier was absolutely the first level. After that it's more quiet and contemplative. Even the ending doesn't come close in terms of over the top action.
Crap, I was actually thinking of buying Bayonetta's PC release. Does it have the same problem?

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Interesting Thread.
For me from my memory it would be Devil May Cry 3.
Literally after the rain scene [you know what I am talking about] the game seems be more "calm".

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Tons of games push on for a few more hours after resolving the story's emotional conflict. Alien: Isolation does it. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch does it. Never a good idea. Or maybe the central villain is offed and never gets a proper replacement (Far Cry 3).

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
Fox12 said:
Crap, I was actually thinking of buying Bayonetta's PC release. Does it have the same problem?
In my opinion Bayonetta 1 & 2 and Vanquish do not have this problem both build up very well but then again they are pretty crazy from the get go. Thats not to say there are not peaks and troughs but they do ramp up.

I will go with Disgaea the first one. Cant remember exactly where think it may be chapter 5 but it builds up great to that point and had me hooked on the story which was stupid but entertaining but after that it seemed to run out of steam not so much with the gameplay but definitely story wise and it just started to feel a bit tired. Still absolutely loved the game though.

Another one is Asuras Wrath it stays great throughout (except capcom selling the ending as dlc) but the peak imo is defeating that god who turns himself bigger than the planet near the start of the game. The other bosses while ott in their own right never really felt as ridiculous and awesome as this one.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
"Undertale" never quite lives up to its intro. That was just heartbreaking.

"Halo 3" peaks with the final Covenant based mission, aptly named The Covenant. I don't by any means think the penultimate mission is as bad as its reputation would suggest and I find the final mission to be quite well done and a good way to upgrade a previous game's climax. The Covenant, however, is impeccably paced and does a fine job of showing the Covenant's desperation and the growing threat of the Flood all while providing a variety of enemy types and the three main combat styles (regular, vehicle, aircraft) the game has.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
Fox12 said:
I haven't played much. I don't think so. That seems to be their best recieved title. I heard wonderful 101 was really solid too.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Skyrim. First couple of times around they do a decent job with dungeons or dragon fights. Then everything starts repeating, you've killed 18,000,000 dragons just in passing so they've lost any sense of spectacle, and you become completely overpowered probably inside 3 hours of play unless you deliberately gimped yourself.

Final Fantasy 7. Disc 1/Midgar is a pretty well woven arc. Then the rest of the game just peters around between filler and contradictory gibberish outside of brief windows for the Act 2 and 3 climaxes. Then you just grind til you can be bothered going down and killing Sephiroth.

The Platinum Transformers game. You start off fighting the big Megazord Decepticon, then a lot of just spins its wheels driving around the city (and the driving mechanics are nothing great) and basic 1 v 1 fights.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
BioShock

Okay, I'm still playing it, so this could change, but IMO, the game peaks at the point where you confront Ryan, and after that, things don't work quite as well. Or at least, the shift becomes noticable after you fully remove yourself from Fontaine's mind control. I say this because while Fontaine isn't a bad villain, he isn't as compelling as Ryan, yet you're stuck with him as your part 2 antagonist. Secondly, Jack is a golem in every sense of the word. His lack of characterization up to killing Ryan makes sense in hindsight, and works thematically - he's a silent, unthinking 'slave' (that still cares about Little Sisters I guess, unless you harvest them). After that, he still has no characterization. So I can buy that Jack is pissed at Fontaine, but I feel that the latter half suffers from portraying Jack the same way as he is in act 2, just following Tennenbaum's orders instead of Atlas's.

Also, finding parts for a Big Daddy. Sigh...

Final Fantasy X

Sort of - I refer to the point where you defeat Yunalesca, and then have the entire map as your oyster while you prepare to take on Sin. A point where there's kind of lull, even though you've got to defeat this thing as soon as possible. The buildup to Zanarkand is excellent, and the Yunalesca fight is easily one of the hardest in the game. Sin/Jecht/Yevon are memorable fights as well, but there's kind of a lag in this period, at least narratively. And true, a lot of games do have the lag problem ("you have to save the world...but feel free to do as many sidequests as you want beforehand"), but I have seen it done better (e.g. Golden Sun: The Lost Age, how the music changes in the final act to convey the severity of the situation, even if you're still free to wander the map).

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

More or less when you defeat the king of Grado, and it's recovered that Lyon is really the big bad and so on. I say this because in terms of plot, it's fine. In terms of gameplay, you get Myrh at the end. Myrh, who can practically one-shot anything. Myrh, who makes the actual final boss of the game a pushover. Like I said, fine in terms of narrative, but in terms of gameplay, the difficulty level plummets as soon as Myrh becomes playable.

Marathon

Sort of. I refer to the very last level of the first game, when the s'pht turn on the pfhor. Should be great, right? Your former enemies now your allies, fighting beside them in a final battle? Well, no, not really - they keep blocking my shots and the corridors are too narrow. This 'last hurrah' is more like a last whimper. :(

Star Fox Assault

One of the most enjoyable levels is the space-gate one - full space combat, teaming up with the Cornerian Fleet, taking out aparoids all over the place, etc. After that, we get the aparoid homeworld, which is easily one of the most frustrating levels in the game. And, of course, the fleet is useless. The absolute final level is decent, but, well, yeah. :(

Xenoblade Chronicles

Not a very egregious example, but I feel the game kind of peaks at Egil. After that, well, things get weird. Like, weird for even the game's standards. Entering the Bionis, Zanza's dreamscape, the tower that may or may not reference the Tower of Babylon, and has things in it that aren't explained, but, well, yeah. As I've said elsewhere, Xenoblade is absolutely bonkers (a good kind of bonkers though), but it really becomes batshit crazy at the end, especially with the final revelations at the end. Egil, at the end of the day, is more of a compelling antagonist than Zanza, even though it makes sense that Zanza is the big bad.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Hawki said:
BioShock

Okay, I'm still playing it, so this could change, but IMO, the game peaks at the point where you confront Ryan, and after that, things don't work quite as well. Or at least, the shift becomes noticable after you fully remove yourself from Fontaine's mind control. I say this because while Fontaine isn't a bad villain, he isn't as compelling as Ryan, yet you're stuck with him as your part 2 antagonist. Secondly, Jack is a golem in every sense of the word. His lack of characterization up to killing Ryan makes sense in hindsight, and works thematically - he's a silent, unthinking 'slave' (that still cares about Little Sisters I guess, unless you harvest them). After that, he still has no characterization. So I can buy that Jack is pissed at Fontaine, but I feel that the latter half suffers from portraying Jack the same way as he is in act 2, just following Tennenbaum's orders instead of Atlas's.

Also, finding parts for a Big Daddy. Sigh...
Yeah, Bioshock came to mind immediatly for me. There's two parts of the game I really liked. The intro(everything up to the first big daddy encounter and Ryan's slideshow warning to you in that one room) and meeting the man himself.

Everything else is just a big mishmash of getting sidetracked over and over again because the game will never just let you go through the door to the next area, but instead you have to go chase a key or find a way around the convientantly timed doorway blockage which got really, really tiresome after the first 7 times they did it.

I might one of the few people who think Infinite has a much better paced gameplay arc, as linear as it is(aside from the stupid ghost mom thing near the end).

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I don't know if the game peaked so much as the villain himself peaked but... Final Fantasy 6. Kefka was magnificent up until the second half of the game, but after the Floating Island and the creation of the World of Ruin with the exception of him blasting a town or two Kefka just sits there in his tower doing nothing until you show up to kill him which the player can likely do effortlessly by the time you've done everything else. It would be so much better if Kefka was actively there hounding you during almost everything you were doing in the World of Ruin, and if he subsequently was a challenging boss fight balanced under the assumption you were going to do everything before you got to him.

Sephiroth has the same issue but at least there's Shinra around to pick up the slack in the Big Bad department until then.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Okami. I was so hyped by the time that I beat Orochi that I literally wolf-howled at the same time as Ameratsu...and..then the game kept going.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Shadows of the Empire

I wasn't the only one so amazed by the flying in that first level that I ran out and bought it. But after that it becomes an average combat platformer at best with terrible camera controls. There was a cheat that allowed you to play the campaign with vehicle levels removed if I remember it right. Pity there wasn't one that did it the other way around...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Far Cry 3 - Vaas:
After that fight with him...the rest of the game kind of goes downhill.

Captain Chemosh

Sep 5, 2011
Fox12 said:
Cowabungaa said:
Fox12 said:
I haven't played much. I don't think so. That seems to be their best recieved title. I heard wonderful 101 was really solid too.
I don't think Bayonetta has the same issue, the action gets scaled up as you progress through the game but the ending (at least to me) felt a tiny bit lacking in substance. Don't get me wrong, it was quite fun, and appropriately over the top but it didn't have the kind of substance I would have wanted. Regardless though, still definitely worth playing in my opinion.