Games that reversed your opinion of a series

noxymoron19

Feb 4, 2011
I had my opinion on a series change through system jumping. I bought left4dead for xbox and enjoyed it, even the none of my friends had it. Then I bought left4dead2 and wasn't that impressed. 3 Months later I nabbed it in a steam sale and couldn't stop playing for weeks. I realised how great a game and series it really is.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Mass Effect 2 completely reversed my opinion on the franchise. I was one of those few people who did not particularly like the original (in fact I found it very lack-luster on the whole, and there were a few bits of it I outright despised with a passion), but I loved the sequel much more than I thought I would. I am now looking forward to 3 with great anticipation. Assassins Creed 2 was like that as well, except I was not in a small minority there. Bad sequels have never ruined a series for me (Halo 3 came close, but it was not a terrible game, and ODST more than made up for 3's miss-steps)...

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
mmm... i have to say Fallout 1

i played 3 and heard about how awesome the first and second were, that created an immage of a series strong on everything so i went and played 2, it was average imo...

then i played 1... ugh...

i mean yes they were good games, but not the seccond comming of christ as some people made them to be, that changed the entire concept i had about the series, but watever.

BTW: i´m 25 years old, i have played trough countless games old and new, i loved Shadowrun and other simmilar games...but i didnt liked FO1 or 2... so, i dont think i´m that blinded by my OMG OLD GAME UGLY perception.

jacx

Feb 20, 2010
oblivion, i hated morrowwind. the other elder scrolls were quite boring and i did not enjoy them

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
sdmblack said:
Durxom said:
I loved Mass Effect. I had my completed playthrough all ready, I had preordered Mass Effect 2, my very first preorder, the Collector's Edition even. I was already for it.....then I played it...ugh -_-
I'm just curious, but what was it that was so bad? i played the hell out of mass effect 1 (at least 9 playthroughs, though the most recent one was just to get a SPOTLESS character to import to 2) and though they are both good, the combat seemed far better in mass effect 2. the level up system was gimped, sure, and noone really likes the probes, but i found it fairly good (though the overall plot focused mostly on character development than overarching accomplishment)
Where do i begin? Hmm... They gutted the role playing elements severely, levelling up became story based, they got rid of the mako. I quite liked the mako in the first and thought it only needed minor tweaking. The combat became more streamlined and all of a sudden medi gel and the different ammo types were tied to the same cooldown ar as your biotic abilities.
The combat (for me as a Vanguard, my favourite class) was a glitchy mess. They made the Vanguard a broken class.

I'd charge into battle (an ability) and deal massive damage to an enemy, then go to run away and retreat to cover, only to find I stuck to everything under the sun trying to escape, every wall, box, gas canister. you name it i stuck to it.
the cover system in ME2 was just fail. Gears of war did it better.

Now... i must ask you, what platform did you play it on, and how many times diid you get flung up into the ceiling or fall through the floor and unable to continue without loading?
For me, it was on pc and I counted 17 times.
This game really shouldn't have been released when it was.
Boware did a really horrible job of quality control and testing, they really did.
I'm amazed it was released.

Anyone remember the save glitch file when it first came out?
Autosave didn't work and alot of people were unable to save their game, after trudging through 3 hours worth of gameplay, under the impression the game was automatically saving their game, when in fact it actually wasn't. Great quality control Bioware.

Now the plot... didn't really make much sense unless you had read the Drew Karphysyn novels.
i had, and even then I wasn't really impresssed with the threadbare plot held together by basically retconning everything from the first game.
On top of that, there really was no plot or sidequests, aside from the loyalty quests, that were compulsory if you wanted to have a a savefile to carry into ME3.
You literally die, get put back together by Cerberus (practically your sworn enemy in 1), and go and assemble a new team, then off to fight the final boss.
it's so stupidally retarded and anti-climactic.

The inventory in the first game... okay it wasn't the best executed, but with some minor tweaking they could have made it work rather than the bullsghit system in ME2 of scanning.
God, scanning everything was so fucking tedious, and repetitive, and if you missed something while on a mission, well, too bad, you missed.
There was no backtracking allowed, and once you finished a mission, that was it. Everything you acquire from the mission is tallied up and you can progress, but neve backtrack.

In all honesty I could on for hours about planet scanning and resources and a whole bunch of other glaring technical issues with the game, but I think I've stated evidence to support my claim.
I won't be buying ME3 unless there's a drastic change.
-Tabs<3-
P.S. I also highly anticipated ME2 when it first came out, I preordered the collector's edition, and was so excited. I really tried my best to like this game so much, but it just wasn't Mass Effect.
It felt as though it was like "baby's first rpg" or a third person shooter with very small rpg elements dumbed down for the neanderthal Call of Duty cowd.
It didn't feel like a sequel so much as it felt like an expansion and considering I finished every sidequest and explored everything in the game within 13 hours... I rest my case.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Mass Effect 2. One was boring as shit up until you were through with about 70% of the game, but playing ME 2 made me go back and beat ME 1 just so I can use a save file. I'm sorry, but an RPG where its all talk for more than half the game with nothing being done is boring as hell.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Shiny Koi said:
For the worse: The handheld "cel shaded Link style" games for the Zelda series: Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Playing through half of Minish Cap and a tiny portion of Phantom Hourglass solidified my decision to never buy another (handheld console) Zelda game (undecided on Skyward Sword).

For the better: Pokemon Black and White redeemed the pokemon franchise for me (I stopped playing at Gold/Silver/Crystal for the GBC). I did go back years and years later and played the ROM for Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald, Fire Red/Leaf Green and Pearl/Diamond/Platinum, but I disliked all of those. I would have liked Heart Gold/Soul Silver but I decided to skip it entirely.
I miss the old gameboy games.
Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of ages, and link's Awakening were absolutely great.
Phantom hourglass was just awful, and I really liked Windwaker too.
i never finished Phantom Hourglass, I got up to the sea serpent and just couldn't bring myself to finish it.
-Tabs<3-

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
EcksTeaSea said:
Mass Effect 2. One was boring as shit up until you were through with about 70% of the game, but playing ME 2 made me go back and beat ME 1 just so I can use a save file. I'm sorry, but an RPG where its all talk for more than half the game with nothing being done is boring as hell.
Some people, like myself enjoy that deep kind of character development. The writing for ME2 was lacklustre at best and just made way for killing and looting.
Also, Mass Effect wasn't that bad. You're overexaggerating.
The bulk of the talking is on the citadel, once you leave there it's fine.
but I'll agree that the Citadel gets tedious after a while.
-Tabs<3-

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
noxymoron19 said:
I had my opinion on a series change through system jumping. I bought left4dead for xbox and enjoyed it, even the none of my friends had it. Then I bought left4dead2 and wasn't that impressed. 3 Months later I nabbed it in a steam sale and couldn't stop playing for weeks. I realised how great a game and series it really is.
Yes... Left4Dead2 is epic fail on the 360. The graphics are horrible, the framerate is just woeful and I dare anyone try and finish realism expert on the 360. It can not be done.
PC is soo much better for that game.
-Tabs<3-

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
Shadow Hearts: From The New World

-> Worst. End. To a trilogy. Ever. The series ended after this one, so I don't know if this counts as "losing hope in he series".
Oh God, why? Seriously, that game had nothing to do with the other two. The ending to Covenant was great and they should have just left it alone. The only connection I can think of is Lenny, which is not even close to a legitimate reason for a new game.

And the story. Blegh! Shadow Hearts 1&2 were so good because of all the twists and evolving stories. New World basically starts with: these are the bad guys and you have to stop them. And that's all there is to it. We don't even get any kind of background on Killer. God, that game felt rushed and/or uninspired compared to the other two./rant

OT: Final Fantasy 8. I stopped buying FFs after that until 13, which I ended up regretting.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Some people, like myself enjoy that deep kind of character development. The writing for ME2 was lacklustre at best and just made way for killing and looting.
-Tabs<3-
I honestly did not start enjoying ME 1 up until the assault on Saren, before the entire Citadel battle.

Macabre9037

Jul 2, 2009
Halo Reach, I hated Halo passionately until a friend forced me to play Reach, that game was so much fun. The armor abilities and new game modes make multiplayer infinitely more fun than the predecessors and the campaign was astounding.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Bioshock 2. I thought Bioshock 1 was tedious, and I didn't have any investment in the world or the characters at all. I didn't like the combat either. I grabbed Bioshock 2 as it was £5 and I really wanted a shooter - and finished it in a single 10 hour session interrupted only by a quick break to eat. Now I'm pretty damned excited for Bioshock Infinite. :)

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
Macabre9037 said:
Halo Reach, I hated Halo passionately until a friend forced me to play Reach, that game was so much fun. The armor abilities and new game modes make multiplayer infinitely more fun than the predecessors and the campaign was astounding.
They stopped listening to the fans and took a different approach by looking at what made Combat Evolved so great. The results were successful.

Assassination moves, I love those.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
EcksTeaSea said:
Daedalus1942 said:
EcksTeaSea said:
-Tabs<3-
I honestly did not start enjoying ME 1 up until the assault on Saren, before the entire Citadel battle.
To each their own.
I loved it once I got out the citadel and became a spectre.
-Tabs<3-

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I'm going to be a huge minority on this, but Mario 64. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it (I was a kid after all) but it was a radically different game from super Mario world, and the n64 era kind of marked the point where Mario became a face for Nintendo to slap on anything and everything possible.