Games that should have never existed.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Collins254 said:
TheAceTheOne said:
Riddle78 said:
-Final Fantasy XIII: Billed as a game..."Plays" like a movie. Also,much like XI and XII,shows very obvious signs of shark jumping.

-Duke Nukem Forever: This may,more or less,be me growing up,but I find the game too infantile and purile to have any reason being.

-Every Call of Duty,after 3: Dead horse cash cow franchise. Let it STAY DEAD.

-Sports games as a genre: If you want to play lacrosse,hockey,or football...Go play it yourself. If you can afford the console and game,you can afford to play for real.

That's my opinion. Any questions?
Oh my God, AMEN TO ALL OF THOSE.

Final Fantasy, just all around from the one with Cloud (VII? Which one was it? I didn't play it and I'm sick of hearing about it.) onwards. That's pretty much all I can think of.
you cant really bad mouth games you havnt played, just because they were extremely popular and you dont like JRPG's doent mean they shouldnt exist, FF8 is one of my all time favourite games, much better than 7, and 12 and 13 dont even deserve to be compared to the PS1 games.
Who said I didn't like JRPG's? I'm cool with them. I'd probably like FF7 or whatever if I played it, but given the overexposure of the game, I already know the entire story from just hearing other people, which defeats most of the point of me playing it, since I play games in part for the story. Perhaps a better way to describe my feelings would be that I don't want it to be ingrained in gamer culture as such a landmark series that deserves every ounce of hype and discussion it has gotten so that I can play it and enjoy it and actually pick up the story and characters from the game itself rather than fanboys and fangirls. I'll admit, it was unjustified saying that they shouldn't exist entirely. I retract my "onwards". Just the one with Cloud or whomever it was, and even then, I'd rather retract much of the hype it's gotten rather than actually see it banished from this plane of existence entirely. Poor wording on my part. Cheers.

Lt_Bromhead

Dec 14, 2008
imahobbit4062 said:
Yeah yeah, we get it. It's the cool thing to hate on Call Of Duty. Think you people could just give it a fucking rest already?

OT: GTA Liberty City and Vice City Stories. Rockstar could've spent time making a Bully or The Warriors sequel instead.
imahobbit4062 said:
ABLb0y said:
Final Fantasy 12 - Only final fantasy I didn't like. Although, without it we wouldn't have final fantasy 13 so hush my mouth, i guess.
Dead space 1 - Suffers from Mirror's Edge syndrome (IE: Brilliant for the first few acts, rapidly goes downhill) Although, as with the above example, without it, we wouldn't have Dead Space 2
Saw 2: Flesh and Blood - self explanatary
Duke Nukem Forever - I waited all my life, for what? Some crap game that even HAZE is better than.
The Ballad of Gay Tony - I love GTA, especially the Lost and Damned, but this DLC... Is just awful. Seriously, Rockstar, wtf?
You are aware, that the entire point of TBOGT is homage to the old GTA games? With bizarre characters, a moronic plot, and just crazy, over the top missions?
Care to let people have an oppinion?

OT: For me, I think LOTR Conquest. A massive kick in the nuts if ever there was one.

And Medieval: Total War 2. The first one was sublime, fun and awesome. And, after Rome, the best in the series up until that point. A re-do was therefore crippled before it had even left the starting gate.
Oh, and Empire: Total War. Just was NOT a fan. :/

Shogun 2 was fun though. :D

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
Let's see ...

Duke Nukem Forever - They should have started a new game from scratch ... like ... Duke Nukem 4 or something

E.T. for the Ata- ah you know it

Custer's Revenge

The Force Unleashed 2 - IT'S FOUR HOURS!!! THE ULTIMATE SITH EDITION WAS LONGER!!!

GTA IV - It just isn't the goofy childish fun you had with III or San Andreas

Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days - 4 Hours ... nuff said

Every Spyro and Crash game after the PS1

Collins254

Jul 30, 2011
TheAceTheOne said:
Collins254 said:
TheAceTheOne said:
Riddle78 said:
-Final Fantasy XIII: Billed as a game..."Plays" like a movie. Also,much like XI and XII,shows very obvious signs of shark jumping.

-Duke Nukem Forever: This may,more or less,be me growing up,but I find the game too infantile and purile to have any reason being.

-Every Call of Duty,after 3: Dead horse cash cow franchise. Let it STAY DEAD.

-Sports games as a genre: If you want to play lacrosse,hockey,or football...Go play it yourself. If you can afford the console and game,you can afford to play for real.

That's my opinion. Any questions?
Oh my God, AMEN TO ALL OF THOSE.

Final Fantasy, just all around from the one with Cloud (VII? Which one was it? I didn't play it and I'm sick of hearing about it.) onwards. That's pretty much all I can think of.
you cant really bad mouth games you havnt played, just because they were extremely popular and you dont like JRPG's doent mean they shouldnt exist, FF8 is one of my all time favourite games, much better than 7, and 12 and 13 dont even deserve to be compared to the PS1 games.
Who said I didn't like JRPG's? I'm cool with them. I'd probably like FF7 or whatever if I played it, but given the overexposure of the game, I already know the entire story from just hearing other people, which defeats most of the point of me playing it, since I play games in part for the story. Perhaps a better way to describe my feelings would be that I don't want it to be ingrained in gamer culture as such a landmark series that deserves every ounce of hype and discussion it has gotten so that I can play it and enjoy it and actually pick up the story and characters from the game itself rather than fanboys and fangirls. I'll admit, it was unjustified saying that they shouldn't exist entirely. I retract my "onwards". Just the one with Cloud or whomever it was, and even then, I'd rather retract much of the hype it's gotten rather than actually see it banished from this plane of existence entirely. Poor wording on my part. Cheers.
Fair enough, you should give the older FF's a chance if you get the opportunity, though alot of people do badmouth 8 for having a terible story and poor gameplay because it was a bit different. And i agree with the over hype of 7, yes it was a good game, yes it was big, yes it was most people's first RPG, but it wasnt gods gift to gaming, but it was a good game with good replay value.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
ChupathingyX said:
Bling1907 said:
Fallout: New Vegas. It looks like a re-release with little new elements. Simply could made as a DLC.
If New Vegas is a DLC then it is the biggest DLC in gaming history.

But of course it is a DLC if it has more quests and factions than Fallout 3, not to mention a differnet setting, different factions, more weapons, new game mechanics, more grey morality, a completely different plot with branching choices (something even F3 didn't have) and not to mention hundreds and even thousands of play (replay) value.

And of course I can't forget the "little new elements" such as;

*Iron sights
*Special VATS melee attacks
*Special Unarmed attacks that can be learned
*Different unarmed attacks
*Survival - and everything that stems from that (e.g. campfires)
*The companion wheel
*The fusion of small/big guns
*New speech system that isn't luck based
*Taking normal damage in VATS instead of only 10%
*Perks every other level
*Traits
*Weapon mods
*Companion perks
*The ability to become homosexual
*Nerve
*The reputation system
*Gambling
*Hardcore mode
*New animations
*Changing the character's age (useless, but a nice addition)
*Challenges
*Medical implants
*Unique weapons now have unique designs
*Damage Threshold
*Night vision
*"Dumb" dialogue
*Ammunition creation
Don't forget actually being a Fallout game.

Seems the NV devs agreed with me. "Oh, all that stuff from F3? Never happened."
There are guns that are fun to use, the Brotherhood uses the classic power armour, the Enclave's shitty east coast stuff isn't mentioned, radiation is back to being the sort of thing you get from standing in a nuclear reactor, humaity actually rebuilds shit...

NV > F3. So much greater.

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
Zac Smith said:
Half Life, no seriously, think about it, if there was no half-life there would be no un-godly wait for valve just to announce EPISODE BLOODY 3!!
For forgot the episode 1 there. If valve hadn't decided to use episodes then there would be no wait for ep3.
Half Life is a good game with a good engine that had/has many, many good mods.

debra_ beretta

Sep 8, 2010
Dont B Nervous Talking 2 Girls. Honestly. Kill it with fire.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96947-XBLA-Indie-Game-Tries-to-Help-You-Talk-to-Girls

ArchAngelKira

Mar 25, 2010
Any game based off of a movie, or if you've seen this in the DS section the "icarly and johones brothers game"

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Simeon Ivanov said:
Every Spyro and Crash game after the PS1
^^
I like this guy
those other developers, they....
ruined my childhood, those PS2 games were so shit

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Volan said:
lukeyk said:
Some games are just... Bad. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist, as if the industry learns from them then that's good.
While I do agree to some point, did games like FFX-2 really teach anything? Other than to leave alone a story that worked for its seriousness and sadness, instead of making a cheesy, happy fan-service spin-off.
Well, while it didn't teach me anything, it was sort of refreshing to play a game that wasn't "OMG, srs bznz!" all the way through. Plus I enjoyed it, so yeah.

OT: RapeLay. Surprised that hasn't been brought up yet, to be honest.

EDIT: Typos. :p

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
C&C 4: Tiberian Twilight - I get that they wanted to try something new with the whole RTS genre, but did they really have to use the same universe as Kane? It's close to offensive towards the costumers that did actually buy it.

Whichever game that started with this whole "screen goes red, if I take cover I heal up" system.
I understand why it is "good" to have, you can continue to kill enemies and have less downtime and not save several times so you could go back to an earlier save if you screwed up too much.
I just don't like how more or less every FPS since then have taken the idea instead of coming up with something new.

I also want to add every game that have spawned a damn sea of games trying to mimic their style and behaviour while failing very badly. I am looking your way World of Warcraft and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days. I watched a bit of gameplay, and it gave me a headache.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
SSB Brawl is the first on my list for not only failing to live up to Melee, but also just failing in general in design and mechanics. I would really like to know how they had gone from the amazing game play in Melee to the floaty, glitchy, campy, shallow garbage that is Brawl.

Starcraft 2, because I really hate what they have done with the story and how they have laid it out.

Also, Twilight Princess, while a good game, they could have used the design to start a new franchise I believe. I don't know, it just feels like a waste.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
All games have a reason for being. Some make us laugh by how bad they are, others started trends for better or for worse, but all games ultimately justify their existence. And every single game ever made is guaranteed to have amused at least one person somewhere. Hell, I got a kick out of "Naughty Bear"! So yeah, I can't think of any one game that should be erased from history.

Also:

ChupathingyX said:
Bling1907 said:
Fallout: New Vegas. It looks like a re-release with little new elements. Simply could made as a DLC.
If New Vegas is a DLC then it is the biggest DLC in gaming history.

But of course it is a DLC if it has more quests and factions than Fallout 3, not to mention a differnet setting, different factions, more weapons, new game mechanics, more grey morality, a completely different plot with branching choices (something even F3 didn't have) and not to mention hundreds and even thousands of play (replay) value.

And of course I can't forget the "little new elements" such as;

*Iron sights
*Special VATS melee attacks
*Special Unarmed attacks that can be learned
*Different unarmed attacks
*Survival - and everything that stems from that (e.g. campfires)
*The companion wheel
*The fusion of small/big guns
*New speech system that isn't luck based
*Taking normal damage in VATS instead of only 10%
*Perks every other level
*Traits
*Weapon mods
*Companion perks
*The ability to become homosexual
*Nerve
*The reputation system
*Gambling
*Hardcore mode
*New animations
*Changing the character's age (useless, but a nice addition)
*Challenges
*Medical implants
*Unique weapons now have unique designs
*Damage Threshold
*Night vision
*"Dumb" dialogue
*Ammunition creation

And if that isn't enough, I could bring out my ol' wall o' text regarding why Fallout: New Vegas was a good game compared to F3 and deserved to be released.

Also...
I could be interpreting that wrong, but it sounds like you haven't actually played the game.

And if it is a DLC, then it's probably one of the only (or few, I'm not sure) DLCs to ever have DLC released for it.
This man speaks truth. I am a huge Fallout fan, and have followed the series since the very first game. Saying that New Vegas shouldn't exist because it's too much like Fallout 3 (it isn't) is like saying Fallout 2 shouldn't exist because it's too much like Fallout 1.

ArchAngelKira said:
Any game based off of a movie, or if you've seen this in the DS section the "icarly and johones brothers game"
Trust me, there are good movie-based games, although their reputation is well-deserved in general. "Captain America: Super Soldier" is pretty much a WWII version of "Arkham Asylum" with some damn good combat, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" is a hell of a lot of fun without catering to PG ratings, and even "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" had a kick-ass multiplayer, something I usually shy away from. But that G1 Starscream was too much for my inner kid to resist.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Volan said:
We've all suffered some severe disappointment in a game that, in the end, we wish had never been created. It could have been because it ruined your favourite series, or because it created some horrible gameplay mechanic that you hate (like, say, QTEs), or because it contained things that you wish you'd never seen. Either way, in your books, it should fall into oblivion.

So tell us all about those hateful games of yours. Ranting may be allowed, but with some consideration in mind.

I'll get the ball rolling:

I wish Duke Nukem Forever didn't exist. It's just depressingly bad, and I think if it took so long to develop, it should have stayed that way.
I'll also add all Sonic games past 3 into the list. My childhood nostalgia has been ruined. Sonic should've stay a side-scrolling 8-bit of blue blurriness, and kept my old gaming memories intact.

Fire away.
-Hold on while I load up my meh cannon-

OK. I thought this would be a hate thread until I realized you were talking about sequels. The same applies to movies. The last 2 Alien films weren't bad (OK, they weren't terrible), but I wouldn't lose sleep if I discovered that the AVP films ended up in development hell. I just do what most fans do: I choose to ignore those movies. It's an opportunity to move on to something new. Very rarely can anyone recreate the magic that a great franchise once embodied. I had my doubts about Mario after playing the gamecube game Sunshine, but both Galaxy games are incredible, especially the sequel. It is the best platformer I've ever played, by leaps and bounds. I don't think Konami's ever done justice to the original Metal Gear Solid with any of the sequels, but now we have Splinter Ce- oh. Never mind. But Assassin's Creed is still going strong, even if they are starting to make it too easy.

See?

Off topic: why are there not more stealth games?

Failhammer

Dec 30, 2008
Volan said:
...leave alone a story that worked for its seriousness and sadness, instead of making a cheesy, happy fan-service spin-off.
I've seen opinions like that regarding the first arc of the new Higurashi anime series.

On topic: Red Alert 3. As far as I'm concerned, they completely ruined the Allies and the only good part of that game was the Empire of the Rising Sun.

Kebabas McSauce

Mar 23, 2010
Red faction: Armageddon. Horrible horrible game, of which the developers should be deeply ashamed for creating considering how good Red faction Guerrilla was....