Games that should have never existed.

Collins254

Jul 30, 2011
Failhammer said:
Volan said:
...leave alone a story that worked for its seriousness and sadness, instead of making a cheesy, happy fan-service spin-off.
I've seen opinions like that regarding the first arc of the new Higurashi anime series.

On topic: Red Alert 3. As far as I'm concerned, they completely ruined the Allies and the only good part of that game was the Empire of the Rising Sun.
can i just ask why? i love red alert 3, i loved the campaign, i loved the allies the most, the empire of the rising sun was the faction i most disliked, because i felt they had only 2 strategies, shogun battleship sea dominion, or chopper VX early spam.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned Metroid: Other M. What, are all of the other Wii owners still asleep?

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
Call of Duty: World at War [Cash Cow]
Call of Duty: Black Ops [Cash Cow]
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3+ [Going to be a Cash Cow]
Fallout: New Vegas [Biggest example on why a game needs QA, and, Cash Cow]
Fallout 3 [Meh game...It's Oblivion...in the future!]
Duke Nukem: Forever [The Meme of "Did not Finish" needed to stick around. Plus, a game that outdated should have never been remade. Why u kill my childhood!?]
Final Fantasy 13 [Seriously? A Final Fantasy on rails? WHAT ARE YO UTHINKING?]
Superman [the newest one...I actually had to test that game. (shivers)]

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
funguy2121 said:
The last 2 Alien films weren't bad (OK, they weren't terrible)
Speaking as a gigantic movie buff, and an ever greater Alien fan, I can say that Alien Ressurection holds the distinction of being one of only TWO movies(the other being Pearl Harbor) that I've ever seen that made me mad enough to want to break something. It's a bad movie, but worse, it's a gigantic insult to the series and destroys every single element that made it what it was. And I don't mean this lightly.

gh0ti

Apr 10, 2008
Yeah, I'd go for Oblivion as well - a perfect example of why bigger is not necessarily better when it comes to games. World of Warcraft for the possibly irreparable damage its done to the single-player RPG market. I'd also go with Shogun 2. Massive fan of the series, really disappointed with the dumbed-down interface and hope Creative Assembly return to their ambitious roots. Also, every Command and Conquer game after Red Alert 2.

On the flip side, I can't believe that there's so much hate for the Modern Warfare games. CoD 4 is probably the best "pure" shooter there's ever been, even if the subsequent ones soured the franchise.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
funguy2121 said:
I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned Metroid: Other M. What, are all of the other Wii owners still asleep?
oh god you are right. metroid other m was just a travesty. i fear it'll be years until i buy the next metroid that comes out.(unless the reviews are favorable. and its not made by misogynists.)

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Duke Nukem Forever ... 14 years to make a game that still looks and plays like games did 14 years ago. What the fuck took them so long to develop a game that looks like it took 4 month.

Final Fantasy XIII ... The new combat system was enjoyable and made it a bit more than a "click attack while watching TV" fest but the story, shitty linear design and characters made it an absolute nightmare to play. As such i've never finished it and never plan on torturing myself listening to Snow prattle on about "heroes" while having a face i'd love to stomp on.

Any CoD after the first ... Yes, the first one was fun it was new and shiny and made people like it. After that it was just re-skins of basically the same game over and over again. I'm biased on shooters though, big UT fan in my early 20's and nothing since then has matched the multiplayer UT had. The single player element on CoD games just isn't enough to sell it to me and, as I just said, I hated the multiplayer. Gone are the friendly rivalries teams used to have. Gone are the great league tables we used to fight for. We now live in the era of "ow did you killz meh n00b, u haxxor" ..... Oh FPS multiplayer, what has become of you.

Any Street Fighter 2 game after the original SF2 ... Seriously, how many times can a company release Street Fighter 2. Quick tip fella's after Street Fighter 2, any games that come after it are NOT Street Fighter 2. Street Fighter 2 is already out stop giving them the same bloody name and adding shit like "alpha" on the end to make it sound different.

Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Hyper Street Fighter 2
Super Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

We get the bloody point, stop already.

Nayr

Aug 18, 2010
Tales of Symphionia: Dawn of the New World. Easily the biggest dissappointment in my gaming life. It was just so bad in every way and the other one was so great. I'm embarassed I played it the whole way through even though it's so bad.

The new golden sun was not great either. But I'm not counting that until it's sequel is made and I will base the two as sort of one.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Iwata said:
funguy2121 said:
Speaking as a gigantic movie buff, and an ever greater Alien fan, I can say that Alien Ressurection holds the distinction of being one of only TWO movies(the other being Pearl Harbor) that I've ever seen that made me mad enough to want to break something. It's a bad movie, but worse, it's a gigantic insult to the series and destroys every single element that made it what it was. And I don't mean this lightly.
I'd ask you to support that. What specifically about the movie was a "gigantic insult to the series?" Not that I didn't have my problems with it.

At times it opted to be just another dumb horror movie, going for gratuitous, unnecessary gross-out deaths, as when the general/admiral/whatever pulls out part of his brain and looks at it before dying, and the akward eroticism in the second half was just...weird. Also, the alien at the end was just terrible. The shitty "it is by my will alone" guy from Dune proclaiming the beauty of the aliens discovering sexual reproduction, the Swamp Thing/Skeletor hybrid, the weak attempt at sadness when the monster died, all of this was very very bad. But, aside from this, I rather enjoyed a fresh take on Ripley's character, I enjoyed Winona Ryder's cyborg, and I enjoyed Joss Whedon's dialogue. None of what I've described, even the godawful surprise baby alien at the end, was nearly as bad as the whole 4-5 hours of Aliens vs. Predator. No maternity-ward mouth-rape forced-abortions anywhere near this movie.

Mudze

Jan 6, 2011
Bethesda. Great games (with the exception of OblIVion), with a large amount of players denied access due to glitches up the bum.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
cthulhumythos said:
funguy2121 said:
oh god you are right. metroid other m was just a travesty. i fear it'll be years until i buy the next metroid that comes out.(unless the reviews are favorable. and its not made by misogynists.)
I wouldn't be too surprised if we saw another Prime game in the first couple of years of Wii U's existence. The head of Retro has said that he wouldn't hesitate if Nintendo offered, and no one knows what they're up to right now.

The real shame is that some of the story was compelling, and I'd like to see a sequel, if only one that retconned much of Other M's sorry excuse for a story. Finding out that some of the higher ups within the holy Federation are genetically engineering these things for weapons? Potential! Zero suit potential! Stealth elements potential!

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
funguy2121 said:
Iwata said:
funguy2121 said:
I'd ask you to support that. What specifically about the movie was a "gigantic insult to the series?" Not that I didn't have my problems with it.

At times it opted to be just another dumb horror movie, going for gratuitous, unnecessary gross-out deaths, as when the general/admiral/whatever pulls out part of his brain and looks at it before dying, and the akward eroticism in the second half was just...weird. Also, the alien at the end was just terrible. The shitty "it is by my will alone" guy from Dune proclaiming the beauty of the aliens discovering sexual reproduction, the Swamp Thing/Skeletor hybrid, the weak attempt at sadness when the monster died, all of this was very very bad. But, aside from this, I rather enjoyed a fresh take on Ripley's character, I enjoyed Winona Ryder's cyborg, and I enjoyed Joss Whedon's dialogue. None of what I've described, even the godawful surprise baby alien at the end, was nearly as bad as the whole 4-5 hours of Aliens vs. Predator. No maternity-ward mouth-rape forced-abortions anywhere near this movie.
Well, were going a bit off-topic here, but everything in the movie struck a wrong chord.

I despised the new Ripley. Her character made no damn sense, and it was just too much of a far cry from the heroine we followed for three movies. No more desperate heroism, now it was "I'm the monster's mother". What..?

The ensemble cast was even worse, and that indeed did have "Josh Whedon" written all over it. I'm not a fan of the man, and that motley crew does not belong in an Alien movie. It's like suddenly seeing Q show up in "Empire Strikes Back". It just deviates from the established universe too much. Again, it makes no damn sense.

The attempts at humor were each worse than the last. The General looking puzzled at a bit of his own brain, before crossing his eyes and comically falling over made me cringe in my seat. And "E-A-T-M-E"?! Really?! No, just... no.

The Aliens... dear God, the aliens... I think Gieger said it best when he described them as "a literal pile of shit". The CGI is awful, and the monster we spent years seeing as lurking in the shadows now seems to have every light on the damn ship trying to keep up with them. And spitting acid? Really?! And I won't even go into the travesty that is the Newborn...

There is more, so much more. But I see the Alien Trilogy, and then I see Alien Ressurection. And it stands alone. It killed the series so hard that they tried to bring it back to life with goddamn-AvP! And it's a damn shame. Even Alien 3, for all its flaws, was sticking to the universe's guns and mythology. Alien Ressurection is at the level of bad fan fiction.

Fenixhart

Mar 26, 2009
I love seeing so many nominations for games I've played to death.

(I played Through FF XIII twice. Scew your hateboners it was fun for what it was)

The onl one I can even conjour any contempt for on this level is maybe Final Fantasy 3. And it sort of was pivotal to the evolution of the franchise, so...

Seriously, one spring for cleansing status, one for healing, and one for reviving? Bloody hell...that and the "Oh, we're all orhpans btw" scene almost made me gag.

thegamermn

Jan 30, 2009
Ruff Trigger: The Vancore conspiracy. It was a ratchet & clank clone that didn't even deserve to be called a ratchet & clank clone

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Front Mission Evolved. Seriously, why was this changed completely? And by changed I mean like X-Com changed.

I also want to say CoD, all of them. But that's just me overly hating what its become and what its done to the market. I will not berate you for liking it, since I believe in "to each their own" but I will never like CoD

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Lucyfer86 said:
Oblivion, that unimmersive, bland, bug ridden piece of sh... well, waste of money that is.
Only way to make it even remotely enjoyable is by heavy modding (good luck with that, console players).
Remains my favorite game I've ever played, and I've only played it on console. Funnily enough, it's also the most immersed I've ever been in a game, and the only bugs I've ever run across were probably the creepiest things I've ever seen in my videogame playing life, and one that allowed you to replicate items by the hundreds, one which was actually very fun to use.

]A mission were you go to a small village, yet all the NPC's are suppose to be dead. Only thing was, it showed all of their character models standing in a straight line with absolutely no eyes (something to do with the bug, but it was still unsettling). What was creepier about it was that I had on an enchanted something or other that showed life by glowing around the people, but there was nothing. Eventually, they moved back pretty slowly and dissapeared into a boulder. I honestly thought it was part of the game

Elfgore said:
Every Call of Duty game since the 3rd one. They have completley killed the shooter genre to me.
You now have to explain why. Yes, the third one was a piece of shit, we get that. But explain to me how CoD4 has ruined FPS's for you?

Seriously, I legitimately can not comprehend the actual excuse to why people would say this. Complain about the influx of sequels it puts out in a short time, I won't stop you. But for the love of God, explain this.

OT: I gotta start avoiding these threads...

But I'll go with Fable 3. It wasn't even that it was just a bad game, it was a really bad game. Boring, the big choices you had to make just didn't make any sense and seemed fake, and the game took such a giant step backwards from the previous titles, that it seemed like a Nintendo 64 game.