Games that should never be a film

AspenSubie

Mar 27, 2008
SteampunkWench said:
Oh and I would say Street Fighter is a perfect example on how NOT to do it (I mean, Hawaiian E. Honda? Seriously??), but I've just found out that they're making ANOTHER one that will be centered around Chun-Li. What? No Raul Julia? No effin' deal!
Oh no, not another street fighter. Why is hollywood so determined to ruin one of my favorite child hood games!?

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
StatikShock said:
A Zelda movie would probably be bad
maybe - however, Peter Jackson did LOTR and that was ok, I'm sure he could do something with Zelda. depends on the person behind it. if the 'Halo' film ever gets released we'll see his talent at converting games to the screen.

Elddir

Jan 29, 2008
'Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children' was awesome! One of the rare cases where the film was better than the game.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Dead or alive extreme 2 shouldn't be a movie, it'd just be 90 minutes of bikinis, wait, why am I moaning about this...

strangemusic

Mar 20, 2008
Let us pray that we will never see a film of Half-Life. It would ruin everything, and quite possibly needlessly include Morgan Freeman in a film about Gordon Freeman! Besides... how do you script a protagonist with zero dialogue?

As for the "Zelda Movie"... April Fool's, in case you're living under a rock. Although I would beg no actual studio to attempt it, either, at risk of ruining my childhood.

SteampunkWench

Apr 2, 2008
AspenSubie said:
Oh no, not another street fighter. Why is hollywood so determined to ruin one of my favorite child hood games!?
http://www.empireonline.com/News/story.asp?nid=22232

It's true! Hollywood wants to destroy us all!

Braxxis

Mar 4, 2008
calsipher said:
Zelda please dont touch it please im begging xxx
Thats odd and a little sad for you because I just saw the preview for that today... Feel free to cry.

Edit* April Fools? O haha very funny you cheeky B@$t@rd$

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Final Fantasy would, and did, make a really terrible movie and Advent Children wasn't a real movie, it was just Fan Wank for FFVII fans (I am one, and I loved the fan wank, but the truth is the truth)

I actually think Halo would make a decent movie, if they kept up the cinematic timing, excellent music and the super hero like antics of Master Chief and contained it within the original game (a ring weapon in space guarded by Infecty Zombies is cool).

bamforth

Mar 10, 2008
Assassin's creed could make a reasonable film though it would have to be changed aa bit from what you do in the game. A Zelda film is going to make orphans cry. Half life is like playing in a film and your the main character. There is no way to make half life in to a film. Halo could of made a film but it would have to span all 3 games.

Essentially game storylines are to slow for films to follow so film makers throw in a lot of extra's to fill the time. Imagine Crysis for example which is a planned film by the way. You are compressing 10-12 hours of game into a 90- 120 minute film. Also you get the worst possible actors and directors for game to film adaptations (tomb raider being the exception)

Lizenz

Feb 25, 2008
FF VII: Advent Children = win.

Though on the flipside of that FF: Spirits Within = worst movie I have ever seen.

...EVER.

PlipO

Mar 26, 2008
Any game have the potential of being a good film however most will not be because studios see games as merely cash cows and give little consideration to the fundamentals that make a given game enjoyable and popular.

Adapting a game for a movie is not easy and therefore require someone that appreciate the subtleties and ethos of the game. The script writer might not have played the game previous to being asked to write a script but this is unimportant in my opinion. The most important factors are; there is appreciation for the game, a willingness to be true to the game while being creative and not to think of the movie as just another popcorn flick just because the story derives from a game.

Often film makers put too much emphasis on action and stunning visuals whilst neglecting the story line. If you have a game with good action and stunning visuals but lacking a good story line; you can enjoy it because you are in control of a significant amount of the game play. If you have a film that lacks a good story line but tries to compensate with action and visuals; you will easily get bored because you will no doubt at some point say to yourself 'I could be playing the game right now and it would be a lot more entertaining'

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
a zelda movie is ainteresting concept if itsdone well but knowing holywood...

also afterof watch that aprils fool trailer i think it wuld be better if its cgi, anime or something like that

J-Val

Nov 7, 2007
Am I the only one who actually enjoyed Final Fantasy: Spirits Within?

And personally, Halo would make the worst movie ever. Considering the plot basically consists of "Aliens + Guns = Win", it would be the most pappy, cheesy action flick ever concocted.

StatikShock

Mar 18, 2008
laikenf said:
None. The whole idea of games to movies is just dispicable. I've not seen the first game- movie that's even worth talking about. Why not make cartoons or cgi films?, live action movies made from video games have never been any good.
Super Mario Brothers was AWSOMENESS SQUARED. You take your lies and slander elsewhere, you... you... something something!

On a more serious note, have you watched the Resident Evil movies? Sure, they arent epic oscar worthy filmmaking, but they do stand on their own as action movies (I was never one for the games myself), and they use the video game quite well.

erikvduyn

The worst at Linux
Apr 2, 2008
i've seen some good gaming films, but then again, i'm not much of a film critic.
Resident evil: fun
Resident evil 2: better
hitman: sweet!

although i'm really happy that i've never seen any film by Uwe Boll (whoever/whatever gave him the idea to make gaming movies should be hung, drawn and quartered), although i have a feeling it'll change in the future, seeing as he's making Far Cry, and from what i've seen, the storyline is nothing like the game. nevertheless, i'm still interested and i'm going to watch it.

though i've got a feeling people won't agree with me, i'm not very keen on the GoW film idea, simply because:
1. its storyline wasn't really top-notch
2. you can't really expect a movie about it to be a lot better.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
calsipher said:
Zelda please dont touch it please im begging xxx
This would indeed be a horrible movie series... but it might not be abad mini series. You know, like 20 2 hour episodes or something.

Ninja Gaiden. Again, make a decent mini-series, but not a good movie.

StatikShock

Mar 18, 2008
nightfish said:
StatikShock said:
A Zelda movie would probably be bad
maybe - however, Peter Jackson did LOTR and that was ok, I'm sure he could do something with Zelda. depends on the person behind it. if the 'Halo' film ever gets released we'll see his talent at converting games to the screen.
If you are going to chop up a quote down to one sentence, please attribute it to the proper person.

I think a CGI zelda COULD be done well (Live action, not so much), considering theyve made LOZ cartoons.

I did forget to mention: Silent Hill wasnt fantastic, but it definently wasnt in the trash bin with 99% of the other video game movies (Uwe Boll anyone?)