Games that tackle racism

Omey

Apr 8, 2011
Hi,

I've been asking this question of many forums.

I would like to know from your experience if you guys have played any games that tackle the sensitive issue of racism. I mean the kind that has something to say on the topic and makes you think. I am not referring to racist videogames like "Ethnic Cleansing" but games in which racism is a part of the narrative. It doesnt even have to be a whole game. It could be a scene or subplot or quest or some dialogue that hints at a bigger picture . The obvious ones are the elder scrolls games and dragon age.

I'm in game design school and I'm doing this research for a project.

Arkliem

Apr 30, 2015
Witcher series is right up your alley. There's a large schism between humans and non-humans(And some humans don't even consider your character to be human anymore) Deals with pogroms, freedom fighters, and terrorists.

If any "Tales of" games have elves in them, you can bet they're going to deal with racism as well. Doubly so if there are also half-elves.

Mass Effect is another one.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm not sure if "tackles" is the right word, but Telltales The Walking Dead involves the theme to a degree.

It's set in the southern states of the USA and you play a black guy named Lee. A history teacher who, at the start of the game, was headed to jail for murder in a crime of passion.

The subject of racism comes up overtly a couple of times. There's another character who really doesn't like Lee and during a conversation you are given the option to suggest that he's racist. Also, at another point a character makes a sorta racism assumption (he takes it for granted that Lee knows how to pick a lock) before realizing that he's put his foot in his mouth and immediately apologizing.

However, the more interesting depiction of the subject is the more subtle stuff. So subtle that I didn't pick up on it until a ways in. Many characters, mostly but not always white people, treat Lee with just a teeeny little bit of suspicion and mistrust. Not outright hostility, but just a bit more caution than the situation warrants. They question his intentions even when they have no reason to.

I thought it was a pretty good depiction, albeit one that used racism as merely the background noise of a black guy's life rather than a prevailing theme.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Valkyria Chronicles tackles it a bit although it bundles it with other themes most notably war and all that entails including how the conflict can be spun by the winners. It uses hair colour instead of skin colour but that doesnt really matter it also tackles it differently with the Valkyrie themselves but I think they are really more centered around weapons of mass destruction and its effect on their humanity as well as that of those around them. Regardless even though it is not a central theme I still think it handles the idea of racism very well like it does all its themes and unlike most other games it does not shove it in your face or paint a black and white picture (excuse the unintentional pun).

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Maximum Bert said:
Valkyria Chronicles tackles it a bit although it bundles it with other themes most notably war and all that entails including how the conflict can be spun by the winners. It uses hair colour instead of skin colour but that doesnt really matter it also tackles it differently with the Valkyrie themselves but I think they are really more centered around weapons of mass destruction and its effect on their humanity as well as that of those around them. Regardless even though it is not a central theme I still think it handles the idea of racism very well like it does all its themes and unlike most other games it does not shove it in your face or paint a black and white picture (excuse the unintentional pun).
That one is pretty neat in how it handles it, mainly because racism is even integrated into the game's mechanics. After all, you literally handicap your squad by having your people of (hair) color fight alongside racists.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Every Wrpg ever. Elves hate humans. Humans look down on dwarves. Everyone wants to kill Orcs. Dragons despise everything that isn't dragonkin.

Omey

Apr 8, 2011
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This was helpful. Keep em coming :)

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
A good chunk of the plot of Tales of Symphonia has to do with racism. Both heroes and villains suffer from and dish out discrimination at various times. The main character resolves to fix this but latter(or actually earlier) Tales games imply he didn't succeed at that.

The Tellius games from Fire emblem deal with racism but rather poorly as its completely one sided. The humans are all racist or corrupt bastards while the beastmen are depicted as poor victims while having excuses aplenty for all their bad apples. ''Everyone is equal'' the games says....while making humans out to be worse at every turn.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Final Fantasy X is pretty good for this, showing the multi-layered prejudice toward the Al Bhed.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Second vote for the Witcher here, those games did 'racism' right, and didn't fall back on equating "racist" to "moustache-twirling cartoon villain" that other games have done. Same for The Walking Dead. Racism is a really nuanced and deep issue, but sadly so many games tackle it in a skin-deep way.

A BAD example of racism in games is Bioshock Infinite by far. It's better explained in Matthewmatosis' critique of the game but, for a game with such 'heavy' themes it's relatively tame compared to the actual racism you'd get back then. Not once was the N word spoken, and the multiracial couple's "massive punishment" was getting a ball thrown at them. Racism in Bioshock Infinite really felt like the Disney-fied, "safe" version of racism.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
Second vote for the Witcher here, those games did 'racism' right, and didn't fall back on equating "racist" to "moustache-twirling cartoon villain" that other games have done. Same for The Walking Dead. Racism is a really nuanced and deep issue, but sadly so many games tackle it in a skin-deep way.

A BAD example of racism in games is Bioshock Infinite by far. It's better explained in Matthewmatosis' critique of the game but, for a game with such 'heavy' themes it's relatively tame compared to the actual racism you'd get back then. Not once was the N word spoken, and the multiracial couple's "massive punishment" was getting a ball thrown at them. Racism in Bioshock Infinite really felt like the Disney-fied, "safe" version of racism.
Not to detract from the rest of the criticism, but I thought that ball was supposed to be the first pitch in a stoning until other events intervene.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
ToastiestZombie said:
Er...That's a really bad choice of example for that point. If you recall, the raffle in Infinite was for the honor of the first throw. Which is to say that the couple was to be stoned to death, only with baseballs instead of rocks.

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
Another vote for the "Witcher" games, particularly 2 and 3. Granted, it may be "racism" of the fantastic variety, but the message is still clear.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
LetalisK said:
Not to detract from the rest of the criticism, but I thought that ball was supposed to be the first pitch in a stoning until other events intervene.
Asita said:
Er...That's a really bad choice of example for that point. If you recall, the raffle in Infinite was for the honor of the first throw. Which is to say that the couple was to be stoned to death, only with baseballs instead of rocks.
Ah, I forgot exactly what was said but even then it's not a very good example of racism done right. To hit home the point (pun not intended?) they should have shown at least one ball being thrown or shown a brutal aftermath DESPITE your choice, or hell just letting you throw the ball instead of it being a binary QTE would have made it so much better. And it's not just that point, the rest of the game just did not have the same edge that films such as 12 Years a Slave or even Django Unchained had, and utterly felt flat because of it. The entire racism sub plot just felt like the developers didn't, or couldn't, go far with the idea due to and supposed backlash.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Zhukov said:
However, the more interesting depiction of the subject is the more subtle stuff. So subtle that I didn't pick up on it until a ways in. Many characters, mostly but not always white people, treat Lee with just a teeeny little bit of suspicion and mistrust. Not outright hostility, but just a bit more caution than the situation warrants. They question his intentions even when they have no reason to.

I thought it was a pretty good depiction, albeit one that used racism as merely the background noise of a black guy's life rather than a prevailing theme.
To be fair, Lee's face was splashed all over the news and papers leading up to him pretty much falling into Clem's backyard...I just assumed alot of it was the "murderer/criminal" thing over the "you're black" thing.

But other than that, there's some of it in alot of Rockstar games, I think the SWAT series has a couple things, like alot of people have said, most Western(and a large amount of Eastern) RPG's have it in some form or another. It's everywhere honestly.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Games that use it, or games that use it well?

Bioshock Infinite has racism as one of its major themes. You even see a mixed race couple shamed by an angry crowd. Some fantasy games tackle it as well. Skyrim and The Witcher have racism between elves and men. All of them handle the subject in just about the most emberasing, blatant way humanly possible. To the point where it should have been cut out.

The Walking Dead tackles racism very, very lightly. You can falsely accuse one guy of being racist, but it's clearly untrue. One, because he lnows you're a convicted fellon, and two, because he shows concern for clementine, who appears to be African American as well. Meanwhile you're redneck best friend is pretty nice to you, but he makes assumptions about you because of your race. It's a very subtle, and realistic depiction of race relations. Some people can be raised with racist stereotypes without actually hating minorities. They're ignorant, not evil.

You could maybe mention RE5 for having unintentionally racist imagery. Or, if you want stretch it, you could explore how Spec Ops deals with racial issues in the Middle East, an how the American White Saviors actually manage to make things worse. "You're here because you wanted to be something you're not. A hero." Indeed.

Edit: actually, if you want an excellent look at fantasy racism, then go with Mass Effect. Just look at how the Krogan are treated. Are they inherently violent, or is their violent nature the result of mass genocide, poverty, a lack of education, warlord infighting, and radicalized extremist leaders? Then compare them to the solarians. It works because it doesn't give you an answer, it lets you decide for yourself.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Earthbound.
There's a small section of the game that parodies the KKK:

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Redryhno said:
Zhukov said:

To be fair, Lee's face was splashed all over the news and papers leading up to him pretty much falling into Clem's backyard...I just assumed alot of it was the "murderer/criminal" thing over the "you're black" thing.
Nah, his case wasn't high profile. Only one person, Carly, actually knew about his conviction due to her work as a reporter. And she ended up rather liking him. Larry suspected but wasn't certain.