Games that were surprisingly enjoyable.

Quistnix

Nov 22, 2007
I was pleasantly surprised by Project: Snowblind. I expected just a bad shooter, but the starting mission had great pacing and action. Too bad it later turned to badly executed stealth-gameplay, which was where I lost interest.

I also expected Fallout to be a mediocre sci-fi Diablo clone, but that one turned out to be one of my all-time favorites.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Time spliters(ZOMG you can rebind the fcker anyway you want,flogs halo just with that)
You just increased my hopes for Haze not falling into the traps that so many other fps fall into with button layouts.

Dec 4, 2007
Call of Duty for sure. That game came out of NOWHERE to put a dent in my freetime.

Even more than that though, I'd have to go with the oft known iO interactive title Freedom Fighters. For the Hitman 2 engine, the game boasted incredible friendly AI, interesting nonlinear levels, enjoyable combat, wonderful atmosphere, and knockout music. In fact, the AI was so good in FF that when Kane & Lynch came out I was astounded when I found out that iO fucked up so bad on the squad tactics. I mean seriously. These are the people who gave me the ONE GAME in the universe where the AI can not only pathfind over difficult terrain, but actually instinctively takes good cover when running into the fre.

Ownagecake

Dec 4, 2007
America's Army
I always thought freebies were shit but this game proved me wrong. It actually is my favorite FPS to this day and I have about 20 FPS's in my library.

MacCarth

Nov 18, 2007
Jet Force Gemini for the N64 was surprisingly enjoyable.

I saw an advertisement when nintendo sent out a video tape to my house, showing Donkey Kong 64 and had Jet Force Gemini as the primer.

Immediately , I knew I had to get the game (It had a DOG WITH JETPACK LEGS! If that's not a selling point, I don't know what is). The controls were fair (it WAS on the 64, give it a break) the graphics were astounding for the 64, and the worlds were varied and entertaining. On top of that, it had a tremendously fun co-op mode (with my good old buddy Floyd), and an amazing multiplayer mode as well.

To top it off, the story was good, and the ending completely rocked.

blackfly01

Dec 5, 2007
BioMetal for SNES. A lot of people didn't like it, but I loved it very much. I prefer the Japanese version better because the soundtrack has more feeling and emotion to it compared to the 2Unlimited soundtrack provided on the European/US release which insisted on displaying the game's intensity, but by doing so it makes the game intimidating to an extent; with the constant, heavy techno beats, it kind of dares you to keep fighting.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Boomshine. It's a freeware Flash game, with basically the same mechanics as Every Extend Extra Ewhatever but understated instead of bombastic... a great little unassuming timewaster.

-- Steve

Nov 28, 2007
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I was expecting a game with, to quote the charismatic stallion Yahtzee, "The dual bunk bears of dullness and slog." However, it was, and still is, one of the most fun games on the DS.

Chilango2

Oct 3, 2007
Harvest Moon. I don't remember how or why I ended up playing it, but it surprised me how addictive it was.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
shadow skill said:
Time spliters(ZOMG you can rebind the fcker anyway you want,flogs halo just with that)
You just increased my hopes for Haze not falling into the traps that so many other fps fall into with button layouts.
the trap of easy deving is what has entraped and raped so many games, options are becoming a crime no dev will commit.

Frankly I dont care what the game is its the consumers right to remap out the Gdanmn buttons if they feel they must...

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Gitaroo Man. I had heard next to nothing about it, other than it was a rythm game, and the bizarre imagery on the box made me scratch my head. It stuck in my head and I thought to myself "weirder looking games were fun", so I picked it up. I adore that game.

Oh, and Silent Bomber. Bad dialogue, almost no story, mostly bad reviews, fun as hell gameplay.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Jennacide said:
Gitaroo Man. I had heard next to nothing about it, other than it was a rythm game, and the bizarre imagery on the box made me scratch my head. It stuck in my head and I thought to myself "weirder looking games were fun", so I picked it up. I adore that game
Oh, Gitaroo Man! That game is so awesome!

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Monster Rancher on the PS1.

I gave it a shot, but I was _sure_ that it was going to be too silly and shallow for me to keep going.

The first night I played it for something like 7 hours.