Games that were surprisingly moving.

MBergman

Oct 21, 2009
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Kind of a brain dead, but pretty fun, hack n' slash with a decent story. To be fair I am something of a Star Wars geek, but the light side ending just kind of gets to me.

Not the self-sacrifice thing mind you, just that last piece of dialouge.

So how about you? Ever been moved by a game that didn't seem like it was up for that sort of thing?

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
A few. I'd say plenty of RPG's as well, but those are games where one would expect for them to play on your emotions a little bit. But one that suprised me for its few but important emotionally charged moments was World in Conflict. A RTS rarely ever gets to me, but some moments of that game, most notably the "Cascade Falls" level (You know which one), most certainly were.

Oh, and there's always Mafia: City of Lost Heaven. That game was solid gold in the story department.

TheDuckbunny

Jul 9, 2009
Yureina said:
Oh, and there's always Mafia: City of Lost Heaven. That game was solid gold in the story department.
Definitely. That thing felt like a brilliant movie from beginning to end.

OT: Most surprisingly moving for me was Flower. I honestly can't figure out what caused me to be moved by floating flower pedals but it was an amazing experience.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I almost teared up when Kratos killed himself at the end of God of War 3 in order to unleash hope upon the human race. I never expected him to do something so selfless.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I was surprised a few times in Mass Effect 2. Hmm, all these take place on Illium, go figure, a planet full of blue chicks -

- the Asari woman you talk to about the contracts for Feros - her daughters died during the battle at the Citadel, and she's really bitter and resentful against humans. If you talk to her Paragon-style, she breaks down and starts crying.

- A Salarian and his Asari "daughter" that you overhear talking at a shop. She wants to buy something to remember the trip with, since he's 35 years old (salarians only live to around 40) and she'll vastly outlive him.

- the Asari and her Krogan fiance. When you talk to her, she mentions how he got really depressed when he learned that their children would be Asari, not Krogan.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Conkers Bad Fur Day.

The ending still puts me under the weather when I think about it.

MoeTheMonk

Apr 26, 2010
The ending of Shining Force always got me kind of sad, your character "going down with the ship", so to speak.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
There's a part in The Darkness when your girlfriend gets shot right in front of you. You can't do anything about it because the Darkness - the source of your badass power - is an evil dick and restrains you. Then you kill yourself because she was the one good thing in your life as a hitman.

*sniff*

shadyh8er said:
I almost teared up when Kratos killed himself at the end of God of War 3 in order to unleash hope upon the human race. I never expected him to do something so selfless.
FUCK. Not your fault, I clicked on it without thinking... I need to get out of this thread.

But really, fucking shit fuck ass motherfuck tits fuck.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Dragon Age

I haven't actually played these endings yet (seen on youtube though) , but if you're romancing Alistair, when he sacrifices himself for your character, it's terribly sweet.

Or if you sacrifice yourself, he gives a very moving eulogy.

Rauten

Capitalism ho!
Apr 4, 2010
Tattaglia said:
There's a part in The Darkness when your girlfriend gets shot right in front of you. You can't do anything about it because the Darkness - the source of your badass power - is an evil dick and restrains you. Then you kill yourself because she was the one good thing in your life as a hitman.

*sniff*
That's one of the things that made The Darkness so awesome. Some moments, well, mostly all that were related to your girlfriend Jenny, were just... absolutely heart-wrenching.

One I didn't see coming AT ALL was Halo 3's ending. The game was pretty much mindless shooting fun. Wasn't great (for me at least), but fun nonetheless. But the end. The very ending cinematic. Just... couldn't imagine it ending like that. Caught completely by surprise.

apelsz

Mar 15, 2010
Cave Story. The whole game. It looks like an 8-bit shoot-em-up, pure fun, little story. While keeping the fun aspect, it has one of the most involving stories in any video game I've ever played. Just... WOW.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Kinda big list of spoilers, mostly are endings though.

In Age of Mythology when Chiron sacrifices himself for that you can escape. That was my first moving scene in games, as it was one of the first games I played.
In Age Of Empires 2 I kinda got moved in the Aztec campaign and in mostly every other campaign. Nearly every single one gets sad, specially because you know it was real.
In Half Life series everything made me moved, it was just deep enogh to make me feel so. When Gman extracts you in most of the endings I actually was very interested in it, and it made me think, what happened to the rest of the characters, what will happen next? Also Eli's death.
In Thief 2 when Viktoria dies, she was a great character and druid.
Also the WHOLE Silent Hill series!

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
Kingdom Hearts. Okay so it's the usual cliche JRPG spikey-haired douche reuniting with his friends plot, but its told with such a childish charm and accompanied by such beautiful piano tunes that I can't help but tear up a bit in certain scenes.

But my main one is Shadow of the Colossus. The entire game is moving, both in gameplay and in plot. The atmosphere of being in an alone desolate world trying to resurrect your lost love is immersive and powerful, and the plot itself is kinda like Portal in which it follows a sort of pattern, while still being able to tell a simplistic and mostly dialogue-less plot with as much emotion as possible.

Speaking of Portal, I'm gonna have to go and fan-gasm to that game for the billionth time and how I will forever miss my beloved Companion Cube. I shall avenge him (or her) as soon as Portal 2 comes out.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Tattaglia said:

*sniff*

shadyh8er said:
FUCK. Not your fault, I clicked on it without thinking... I need to get out of this thread.

But really, fucking shit fuck ass motherfuck tits fuck.
Yeah, I just got it spoiled for me as well. you really need to indicate where spoilers come from when you spoiler tag something. Like, say "God of War 3 spoilers" before the tag or as the pre-click text.

ldbmikey86

Feb 11, 2009
World of Goo is the first that comes to mind. The story is great. Definitely looking out for whatever those guys make next.

And then other obvious titles like Silent Hill (let's face it, in terms of suprise, only the first one caught me off guard. the other ones I just expected to be moving after having played 1, and they didn't disappoint, with the exception of Homecoming, which I have still managed to successfully avoid playing so far), Okami and Shadow of the Colossus.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
Final fantasy XIII at the end of Chapter 8 god i felt so bad for Sazh.
I think there are loads of moments in FFXIII where you can feel pretty moved.

I can relate to Hope quite alot so when he watches his mum die at the beginning I'm a bit moved but I love how every character has this huge emotional moment that never fails to move me...

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Custom Robo, Marcia. All of the things that she had to go through really made me feel for her.