Games That Were Wrongly Ignored.

Omnidum

Mar 27, 2008
Hellgate: London and Gothic 1, 2 and 3.

What? I enjoy a nice RPG once in a while.

Digitalpotato

Aug 29, 2008
Tales of the Abyss
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shadow Hearts from the new world
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
Freedom Force
Jeanne d'Arc
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Tales of Destiny II/Eternia
Suikoden V
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

Notice a pattern here?

kawazu

Feb 15, 2008
Sacrifice was pretty sweet.
Giant Citizen Kabuto was also sweet.
Yay STALKER ShoC!

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
jackalo moss post=9.70171.682977 said:
Abes Oddysey and Perfect Dark Zero. The 2 best games EVER made and no game will EVER match them. Not even if Jesus made a game.
Not even... Abe's Exoddus? It's gameplay was perfection (hooray for quicksave)!

Have to admit though, there's something about Abe's Oddysee, maybe because it's the first game, which makes it so...
You know, I can't describe it. It's like the cinematics are so much more memorable (especially the opening sequence), and it just seems to have a certain sheen to it. I still think Abe's Exoddus has better gameplay, but I can still remember the text from Abe's Oddysee word for word.

Digitalpotato

Aug 29, 2008
Other wrongly ignored games:

Ico
Ape Escape 2
Dark Cloud 2
Trace Memory
Dreamfall
NiGHTs into Dreams
Skies of Arcadia
Space Channel 5
Space Channel 5: Special edition
Pocket Fighter
Tales of Phantasia
40 Winks
Breath of Fire 2
Tactics Ogre
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Brave Fencer Musashi
Star Ocean 2: The Second STory
Star Ocean 3
Beneath a Steel Sky
Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders (Yahtzee should see the intro, The Tall Man came from there. :p )
Megaman Battle Network 2
Megaman Battle Network 3

Notice another pattern?

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Gnetin post=9.70171.684045 said:
Skullmonkeys for the PS1.

fantastic platformer sequel to the PC adventure game The NeverhoOd.
all the design was done with claymation, the soundtrack consisted of funky little jazz-rock jams and the humour mostly revolved around slapstick, but still brilliance.
You sir, have mentioned in your post my own private Fantasy World Dizzy of games. The Neverhood Chronicles rocked.

I'm quite miffed Riddick isn't backwards compatible, I heard good things about it. There was a racing game called Whiplash circa 1997 that was a great deal of fun, but mostly forgotten; there's also a SimCity in Space-like game called Deadlock that was great. I for one got a great deal of enjoyment out of Silent Thunder, and there was another air combat game called Agile Warrior which was dumb, but still entertaining.

If you go back far enough (1991 or so) there were Secret Agent and Crystal Caves, not to mention the original shareware Duke Nukem.

Mar 26, 2008
Guardian Heroes on the Sega Saturn; mainly because not many people owned a Saturn.

And I may be getting in early but I'll also add Braid for XBLA. That game is excellent and deserving of attention.

hem dazon 90

Aug 12, 2008
that sonic the hedgehog dfor the dreamcast the one where the whale chases you? i liked that. last good sonic game

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
Here's a game totally under the radar for you. B-17 for the Nintendo DS. I have seen zero advertizing and not even a review for the game anywhere. Not on the internet, TV, magazines etc. I stumbled across it by accident at Best Buy and it looked cool and not too expensive. I tried it out and I really like it. It's an example of a kind of game you don't see much anymore: a gunship sim. You rotate through all the stations in a B-17 bomber in WWII. You fire all the guns, drop bombs, avoid flak and study the flight plans and maps. The game works perfectly on the DS. It's challenging but easy to learn how to play.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Sins of a Solar Empire, ok ok I know, if you're a message board visitor you've heard of this game, played it, and loved it, but chances are, like Galactic Civilization, the majority hasn't even heard about it.

Saw Oddworld: AO on Steam recently, for only 15 bucks, and 5 off on the weekend, got it, played it, and wondered where it was my whole life.

I think Grim Fandango is the "king of ignored masterpieces" though.

jackalo moss post=9.70171.682977 said:
and Perfect Dark Zero. The 2 best games EVER made and no game will EVER match them. Not even if Jesus made a game.
WAT?! RLY?!

Grubnar

Aug 25, 2008
No.
Heroes of Might and Magic II was good, it must be 10 years old and I still play it every now and then. Not many games have that kind of replay value.

Heroes of Might and Magic III was great! It had all the good parts of the 2nd game but also some improvements and none of the old bugs. It is one of my favorite games of all time.

Heroes of Might and Magic IV however tryed to be a little different. It had better graphics (3D) but that does not mean it is a better game. There were some intresting changes to gameplay and while some of them were brillient some were not. A good game but I still prefer III.

Heroes of Might and Magic V was shit. In a box. In theroy it is the same kind of game, but in practise it is not. At all.

lvl

Aug 31, 2008
NOLF 2, on PC.
(The second one, because I never played the first.)

Does ANYONE remember it?

lvl

Aug 31, 2008
Digitalpotato post=9.70171.689804 said:

Ico
Ape Escape 2
Dark Cloud 2
Trace Memory
Dreamfall
NiGHTs into Dreams
Skies of Arcadia
Space Channel 5
Pocket Fighter
Tales of Phantasia
40 Winks
Breath of Fire 2
Tactics Ogre
Brave Fencer Musashi
Star Ocean 3
Beneath a Steel Sky
Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders (Yahtzee should see the intro, The Tall Man came from there. :p )
Megaman Battle Network 2
Megaman Battle Network 3

Notice another pattern?

DUDE!
APE ESCAPE!11!

You just unlocked a great memory in my mind.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Digitalpotato post=9.70171.689804 said:

Ico
Ape Escape 2
Dark Cloud 2
Trace Memory
Dreamfall
NiGHTs into Dreams
Skies of Arcadia
Space Channel 5
Pocket Fighter
Tales of Phantasia
40 Winks
Breath of Fire 2
Tactics Ogre
Brave Fencer Musashi
Star Ocean 3
Beneath a Steel Sky
Megaman Battle Network 2
Megaman Battle Network 3

Notice another pattern?

Are you joking? Some of those were well-known:

Breath of Fire 2 was re-released twice (once on the handheld and again on Wii virtual console). It was renown for being terribly dubbed on the snes.

Skies of Arcadia was acclaimed for being the best rpg on the gamecube/dreamcast.

Star Ocean 2 was another gem out there that is terribly popular. More popular than both one and three, I must admit.

Dark Cloud 2 is similar in popularity to Star Ocean 2. People know it and have played it more than the first.

I would not say that any I repeated have been wrongly ignored. I could even go so far as say that Ico is no longer wrongly ignored due to how popular Shadow of the Colossus was.

Zaleznikel

Sep 3, 2008
Well, basically all of my favorite games :p I'm a point-n'-click adventure person, so I will start with:

Monkey Island Series: Yes, it has a small cult filing, but my argument is that it was wrongly ignored by LucasArts, when they decided to stop making humorous adventures and start making Star Wars Everything.

The Longest Journey: One of my top games. Its got a great story, challenging puzzles, but not annoying ones, a lot of good humor, beautiful soundtrack, and it basically deserves a lot more attention than it gets. AND it's on Steam for $10 (or maybe $20). So buy it! Buy!
(by the way sequel (Dreamfall: The Longest Journey) is different, good story, not bad gameplay, I reccomend it if you want a good story, but play after the first one.)

Grim Fandango: I haven't gotten a chance to play it through all the way because of technical difficulties :( Right now it's being ignored by developers who could easily make a selling re-make or sequel that at least I would buy :p (Okay, that's a selfish one :p)

Beyond Good and Evil: It should have not taken the developers this long to make a sequel! Constantly on the underrated games list, it had fun gameplay, a great soundtrack, and nearly everyone who I've talked to who played it love it! Play it.