Games that you stopped playing because of other players.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
thesilentman said:
An asshat in CoD ruined any will for me to EVER touch the series' multiplayer again. Just imagine the worst parts of R&P rolled into one guy. This is before I started frequently using the Internet. I raged quite hard and swore never to pick up the series multiplayer ever again. This was Modern Warfare 2 time. I probably wouldn't have gotten upset if I got used to it, but he had taken it a bit too personal. Fuck those idiots. I've never been that enraged since, and I plan to keep it that way for as long as I can.
As I recall, it's extremely easy to automatically mute every other player from the start, and that game requires no team communication whatsoever, so you're not missing anything good by doing it. I personally find CoD's multiplayer enraging for entirely different reasons, but if random trolls are your only problem with the game, well, they really shouldn't be.

Anyways, no, I've never quit a game because of the community, at least not solely because of it. Crap communities played a part in my quitting WoW and LoL, but there were several other, more important reasons, as well.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Left 4 Dead, anyone? Woe betide you if you so much as make a single mistake. Do that and any other players will hurl a world of abuse at you and kick you if they can. Sorry guys- I didn't see the 'experts only' sign on your server door...

BathorysGraveland2 said:
I stopped playing Mount & Blade: Warband multiplayer because the Australian community there is fucking horrid. Hopefully it won't be as bad by the time Bannerlord comes out though.
Why oh why does nobody in Australia want to play Siege? It's the best mode by far! They all want to play battle and sit around for 3 minutes while the last two guys stalk each other around an empty battlefield. Idiots...

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Squilookle said:
Why oh why does nobody in Australia want to play Siege? It's the best mode by far! They all want to play battle and sit around for 3 minutes while the last two guys stalk each other around an empty battlefield. Idiots...
I liked siege too, but unfortunately, Aus community is mostly too small for that. In order to have an enjoyable siege, you need to have a good 30-40 players, and it's pretty rare for Aus to get that number. There was the occasional weekend siege, but beyond that, not much. That's why dueling is so common, as it suits such a low number of players well. Or battle, with a small game of 10 v 10 or something. The most enjoyable part of it, for me, was the clan scrims. Which happened only on rare occasion and stopped entirely. Hopefully Bannerlord will be more successful and there will be more Aus players.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Oh god, I never play LoL unless I'm in a skype call with friends and can laugh at the players bitching at everyone else about everything, which is usually exacerbated by the fact that they're bitching at you for something they're at fault for.

After failing to find a game without at least one 12 year old talking about how hella dank 420 hxc they are for about a half an hour I never tried playing GTA4 online ever again.

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
Absolutely. There was a game called Brick-Force that came out last year that I just had to stop playing. The game itself was pretty simple. It was an FPS that let you build your own maps and let other people play them. The main problem was that it was a FTP game, so you generally got the worst of the worst on there. 12-year olds, self-proclaimed "experts" because they're totally pro at Call of Duty (even though the gameplay was completely different) and snipers as far as the eye could see. It also didn't help that the microtransactions and weapons system was completely asinine. You had to pay in-game currency to borrow one of the better weapons for a while, but regardless if you paid real money or not, you always lost it after a certain amount of time.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Almost every single game with online multiplayer and social interaction. Whether it's trolls, hackers, griefers, or just unsportsmanship, I'm at the point where I can't think of a game I want to play socially (with strangers, that is). Even with simple browser games like InkLink, people would cheat by writing instead of drawing, or giving their friend the answer over MSN, or getting the room majority to boot whoever was in the lead. When it comes to FPSs it's infinitely worse - especially with new or abandoned games. And then of course there's Minecraft... yeah no thanks. SSP for me! Then there are people that disconnect when they fall behind, like in Guitar Hero, just because they don't want to lose.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Assassin's Creed: Revelations Multiplayer

I got sick to the back teeth of kids screaming in my ears about "noob hunting" and running around the maps
You?re an assassin, you?re supposed to be, you know stealth like!

captcha "morning person" how dare you!

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
WoW and Rift
I had always hated the other players in WoW, but stuck it out due to having lots of friends playing. When the LFG-tool got implemented the anti-social and elitist behaviour got even worse, so I couldn't be arsed anymore. Quit the game shortly after Cataclysm was released.
Was basically the same thing in Rift. I took up support roles to get spots for instances(and because I like playing support) and did a damn good job, but due to the fact that the majority of the players came from WoW all I got was shit. They stared at their dps meters and was certain that I was just leeching. Explaining this to people didn't have any effect, so I quit.

Actually, the only MMO with a crowd I can tolerate is LOTRO. When I first started playing it instead of WoW it was like a dream. Everybody was mature and kind... It's a bit worse these days, due to it going F2P, but the vast majority is still the old players.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
Mine has to be L4D for the Xbox 360 non-demo. Me and my friend was playing L4D demo for a good 2 months all online with two other randoms and some times I will play with 3 randoms when he didn't wont to play. We figured this will be the best time to each buy the game we obviously loved. After we finished downloading the full game we could not wait to try it out. Every thing was OK on the first day but the next day my friend told me how the game was shit and he did not wont to play online so i played online by my self and I quit after like joining 5 different matches where the host either stood there doing nothing or just shoot me in the face right after I joined. We still played the demo online.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
League of Legends on my own. Behaviour of team mates easily observable, and enough time to write something in chat, that's just the worst combination.

Violator[xL]

Nov 14, 2007
Left 4 Dead 2. The walking dead weren't really the problem in this game, it were the walking, asshole living that gave you a hard time the instant they saw you making a mistake.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
i dont get you guys being sad at LoL. i myself am playing it and find many of my games to be silent. yes there are occasional ass-shits who are always yelling but most of the times its quite peaceful.

OT:gates of andaron.(4story)

i stopped playing the damn game when i found that 95% of the players ignored me completely or are jerks and retards. seriously retard. example: i went in all chat and told them how player X never helps anyone in fights and always flee when her presence made us win the fight. and then everyone went about telling me how not dying is important. then i told them if she helped we wouldn't die and they all ignored me.

Fallere825

Mar 8, 2012
theultimateend said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
God help you if you're a Jungling Tank (Amumu). You get blamed for EVERYTHING.

I stopped playing Normals and Ranked in LoL, though I still play ARAM because everyone is a lot more mellow when the invisible boogeyman of ELO isn't over their head.
I can only play LoL against the AI.

The second I join a match with real people I hear nothing but vitriol :/.

Lately I've been noticing it more and more in WoW so I'm slowly starting to just play alone there too. I can't stand competitive gamers, I'll take "casual nubs" any day of the week.
I quest alone in wow, but whenever I join a group to do a heroic, everyone loves me, it seems as a tank I can do no wrong, prehaps I've been lucky and joined groups with some other guy messing up enough to cover for me.

edit: oh shoot, the topic, league of legends, the community blows for the most part.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
Just about every MMO. PvP is either dead silent or people screaming at everyone else for not knowing what to do. Raiding is full of people obsessed with the best gear and best spec and memorizing everything, rather than using skill and teaching newcomers the ropes. RPers... Drama. Drama everywhere.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
VanQ said:
Rogues are the worst. I never saw a Rogue successfully sap a mob in Cataclysm, not even once out of the dozens of times I asked them to do it.
I would like to formally apologize for my shadow-walking brethren, being a PVE rogue is and odd experience for many but I can't fathom not CCing on demand, I usually sap out of politeness unless the tank is overgeared.

As for me, minecraft multiplayer. There's annoying brats, griefers galore and then those people who build at an inhuman rate and overshadow you completely. There are good people too, the best server I stumbled upon was the old (2 years ?) 7chan server, 20 people online at any given time, great community builds, minimal mods and a friendly and social group of regulars. To get whitelisted you had to post evidence of a previous build or have someone vouch for you, which kept out those who only wanted to join and mess about (not a high barrier for entry- just a deterrent). Can't find a server nearly as good since that one died due to admin drama.

Very nearly dark souls- when I get invaded at level 20 @ gargoyles by a guy with a lightning estoc or lifehunt scythe (not to mention DLC gear...) it's the most depressing thing. Every now and then you can kill them with backstabs but as a rule they stomp you into the floor. Although here it's not a case of stopping playing, just staying hollow (and UGLY!) all the time. Who needs co-op?

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
Oh, glad i'm not the only one.

I really love the characters of LoL and want to like the game, but I just can't enjoy playing it. Even with a premade team, the amount of abuse you receive purely for playing is ridiculous.

It's got the same problem as WoW has recently; random queues allow anyone to act as they wish free of consequence.

lupus_amens

Mar 2, 2011
TheEvilCheese said:
VanQ said:
Rogues are the worst. I never saw a Rogue successfully sap a mob in Cataclysm, not even once out of the dozens of times I asked them to do it.
I would like to formally apologize for my shadow-walking brethren, being a PVE rogue is and odd experience for many but I can't fathom not CCing on demand, I usually sap out of politeness unless the tank is overgeared.

As for me, minecraft multiplayer. There's annoying brats, griefers galore and then those people who build at an inhuman rate and overshadow you completely. There are good people too, the best server I stumbled upon was the old (2 years ?) 7chan server, 20 people online at any given time, great community builds, minimal mods and a friendly and social group of regulars. To get whitelisted you had to post evidence of a previous build or have someone vouch for you, which kept out those who only wanted to join and mess about (not a high barrier for entry- just a deterrent). Can't find a server nearly as good since that one died due to admin drama.

Very nearly dark souls- when I get invaded at level 20 @ gargoyles by a guy with a lightning estoc or lifehunt scythe (not to mention DLC gear...) it's the most depressing thing. Every now and then you can kill them with backstabs but as a rule they stomp you into the floor. Although here it's not a case of stopping playing, just staying hollow (and UGLY!) all the time. Who needs co-op?
aw man, do you mean the teffen server? (or spelled something like that) because that server was awesome apart from the bit where had premium accounts for $15 a month.

on topic: I ditch most games where i hit a brick wall in the shape of "pro's" who don't give anyone a chance in hell to start enjoying/learning the game.

But maybe i am not the best person to speak because i almost never play MMO's as MMO', i always end up soloing everything and very rarely join/talk to other people.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
VanQ said:
I'm interested as to why you would ever need anything sapped ever. The game could not be easier. I liked the healing rework they did in cata, unfortunately though a few months in healing became super easy due to gear upgrades.

OT: I currently vow on almost a weekly basis that I will never play LoL Solo/duo queue again. I never actually stop but yeah... reason being I am stuck in elohell being forced to play with people way below my skill level that spend more time flaming each other than actually learning how to play.

I suppose you could argue that I quit WoW due to the players too. Too many casuals begging for the game to be made easier all the damn time, and blizzard of course comply. What we are left with is a grind to level up, a grind to get raidworthy gear, a grind to clear a raid, and a week to wait for the raid to reset. No challenge anywhere, and therefore no sense of achievement or fun. just grind. The only tolerable part of that game now is the arenas (3v3, maybe 5's as I believe 2's are still broken by healers after the rework.)But the problem is that with every expansion, pvp becomes more and more bloated with cc and balance issues. Also I have to level up 90 times and then play a shittonne of battlegrounds to even have a chance at winning the damn things.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
miketehmage said:
VanQ said:
I'm interested as to why you would ever need anything sapped ever. The game could not be easier. I liked the healing rework they did in cata, unfortunately though a few months in healing became super easy due to gear upgrades.

OT: I currently vow on almost a weekly basis that I will never play LoL Solo/duo queue again. I never actually stop but yeah... reason being I am stuck in elohell being forced to play with people way below my skill level that spend more time flaming each other than actually learning how to play.

I suppose you could argue that I quit WoW due to the players too. Too many casuals begging for the game to be made easier all the damn time, and blizzard of course comply. What we are left with is a grind to level up, a grind to get raidworthy gear, a grind to clear a raid, and a week to wait for the raid to reset. No challenge anywhere, and therefore no sense of achievement or fun. just grind. The only tolerable part of that game now is the arenas (3v3, maybe 5's as I believe 2's are still broken by healers after the rework.)But the problem is that with every expansion, pvp becomes more and more bloated with cc and balance issues. Also I have to level up 90 times and then play a shittonne of battlegrounds to even have a chance at winning the damn things.
Cata heroics required cc on many of the trash groups when it came out. I loved it, was the first time I got to use my cc in pve since burning crusade heroics and raids. The problem was, as guy stated with the rogues, players who started in wrath never had to learn how to cc anything and therefore the cata roics were "too hard," and got nerfed into the mass-pull aoe fests of wrath. Fuck how I miss freeze trapping 2 mobs in a group through the entirety of a fight on my SV hunter.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
I'm pretty thick-skinned when it comes to online multiplayer, something I'd like to base on the fact that I've been an avid MMO gamer for years now. You grow to expect the childish bickering that occurs when a fight goes wrong, or when control freaks realize they can't sway the outcome of a PVP battle, etc.

The only game which I've actually stopped playing due to the community is League of Legends. Due to the nature of the game, I don't really feel it's appropriate for me to just ignore chat and do my own thing - you do really need to co-operate with others in order to succeed. The issue I have is that most of the community seem to take great enjoyment from simply yelling derogatory comments at you at every given opportunity.

If I was doing something wrong, I would graciously accept the criticism and then look into how I can change to be better... but even when I'm not doing anything wrong, I still get yelled at. That isn't enjoyable for me. I don't like being belittled for no apparent reason (with the exception of the banter I have with my friends) and I don't appreciate it when it's undeserved.

Rather than try to endure the sea of insults, I prefer to avoid the game altogether.