Games that you've abandoned playing

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Mass Effect 3.

I have played and finished the first two, tried several times to get into the third and just can't do it. After the internet spoiled the endings for me, I cannot bring myself to finish the series. Just gonna imagine a better ending and act like it were cannon.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Nanondorf said:
Majora's Mask was the first game I ever abandonned. After going through the frustration+1 dungeon of the Great Bay, I went to the damn canyon and I had no idea what to do. In my defence, I was 9 back then. I made a point of 100% completing every other zelda game i got my hands on.
Damn, you missed out on the best part of the game! I can see why you got stuck though. There is quite a bit you need to do before you get to the (amazing) Stone Tower Temple.

As for what games I abandoned;

Fallout 3. I got out of the vault, saw nothing but brown ruins and wanted to go back into the vault straight away. I had no motivation to exploring the dead land. Never came back to the game after that.

A whole bunch of Indie games. It's quite hit or miss when it comes to indie games. They are either incredibly fun and great or just 'meh' and I get bored of it quickly.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. It's not as well paced as the first Amnesia (and not as scary). I'm not sure how far I am into the game but I just stopped playing it after a new game came out.

Watch Dogs. I like the game but I haven't got round to finishing it, open-world games tend to get boring for me after a while. I got Dragon Age Origins Ultimate during the Steam sales and have been playing that (which is like 100 hours long).

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
I usually don't "abandon" games as so much as simply not get around to finishing them. Something shiny and new will come along and Ill start playing that instead. Six months later Ill be looking through my collection and Ill go "Hey that's right, I was half way through that one".

Edit: Over the last year I've stared being really strict on myself with finishing one or two things at a time so my teetering pile of shame does not collapse and bury me

The Towel Boy

Nov 16, 2011
Watch Dogs- So Boring
GTA V- Got bored with it real quick after about 30% through the game
Pretty much all COD, they became so repetitive(yes I know not to expect much!)
All Assassin's Creed, up until the third one where I just stopped caring

Skyrim, XCOM, Dead Island, and a few others I just never got around to finishing, I just stopped playing and now I don't even remember where I was or how to play....

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
L.A. Noire. I wanted a detective game where I actually have to find evidence and tie things together myself. I was looking forward to interrogations where I either find out what I need or completely mess up and start investigating down the completely wrong path. Instead I got, well, L.A. Noire. The game was the most shallow thing I've ever "played" and did almost nothing right.

Assassin's Creed 3 was another one. I was really annoyed by the simplification that took away any precise control we had over movement in the previous games. However, the bit that made me put down the controller was the amount of bugs that caused me to have to restart missions or restart the game (usually involving the character getting stuck and being unable to so much as pause the game.) I even had to use some launch command to stop it from randomly crashing every 10 minutes.

buttonsandzips

Jul 12, 2014
Until my boyfriend and I moved in together, I rarely finished a game. Now he won't let me leave one unfinished.

Mass Effect 1: I played it after 2 and 3, so I was already disappointed with it. Then I went to Virmire too early, didn't have enough dialogue options to save Wrex and had to kill him. I really wanted to keep him but I didn't save before leaving the ship, so I would've had to start over; I didn't feel like it. I'll probably start a new save someday.

Kingdom Hearts HD: I played until I got to Agrabah, then I realized I didn't actually like the game. I've always liked the concept in theory, but in practice it's not really that interesting to me.

Final Fantasy Tactics: I just couldn't get into it. I realize it's a classic game and I do understand why it's so highly regarded, but I think it was a little too serious for me.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I've only abandoned one game in my life that I can recall. Wartech Senko no ronde. By that, I mean I actively got rid of the game. I don't really remember why, now, though.

The rest, I've either lost (not my fault, so I didn't abandon! :p), or I just am not in the mood for at present. I've gone back, and played a ton of older games I've got. I've been building a collection since the 80's. Sure, it might have been ages since I played a game, but statistically, I'm bound to play it again sooner or later.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
- Bioshock: Infinite

Nothing about the game was really grabbing my attention. I got to the point with the Chinese weapon smith when I quit because I had to go eat. Then when I was considering continuing I was like 'Nah, I'm gonna do something I'll actually have fun with.'
This. So much of this.

This seems to happen to many games for me - Bioshock 1, Infinite, Half Life 2, etc. etc. Some games are too long for their own good.

Solbasa

May 3, 2014
The main one that comes to mind is Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Not because it's a particularly bad game, but it got to the point where I was physically unable to continue in the game, because I couldn't fight the enemies, simply because my attacks didn't do any significant damage. I was at Chapter 7, with enemies with ridiculously high health and defense, and I couldn't kill them without wasting all my MP or whatever that game calls it. I'm guessing I just didn't grind enough, but I'm at a point where I can't go back and level up more, and I can't fight any enemies there because I couldn't do damage. Basically, if I wanted to continue, I'd basically need to restart the game and get back to that point at a higher level. Plus, I missed characters, so I just decided that it wasn't worth my time anymore, put it back in the case, and haven't touched it since.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
easy, fallout NV nothing in it is remotely better than my experience in fallout 3 and that means i can't enjoy it

sure you have iron sight and erm... balance leveling? well beyond that point you have interesting brown?

nothing about it is interesting to me, the main plot is boring the bad guys well i met some but honestly they bored me and the scenery isn't as interesting as they hyped it up to be

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
I've abandoned a lot of games in my time, but the one that sticks in my mind is Far Cry 3. Enjoyed the game no end, the free roaming island shenanigans were fun and frolics and getting blindsided by tigers was always a laugh. However, on the last level there's a turret section in a helicopter and having died on the same part 7-8 times I just gave up. Watched both the endings on Youtube in the end.

That's what you get Ubi, for making me shoot aggressively small RPG troops.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
GTA 5, New Vegas, Assassins creed black flag and Witcher 2 all come to mind recently.
Not because they were bad really, they just couldn't hold my attention at all.

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
Shadow of the Colossus. I really liked that game though. The landscape was big and epic. The big monsters were awesome and felt huge, and there was enough puzzle element to the fights to make them interesting.
I just felt kind of sorry for the monsters who seemed like they were just these big ancient majestic relics hanging out minding their own business - It didn't feel right to kill them.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
Dust: An Elysian Tail - Got somewhere near the end and just got bored. Not sure if I'll ever go back to it.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - I think this symbolises the point where I abandon the franchise. I played all of them up to AC3 (which I never bought) and then got AC4, played it for half an hour, and found it utterly tiresome.

And perhaps most embarrassingly,

Persona 4 Golden - I've played it for about 10-15 hours and just got bored of it. The combat was just tedious and repetitive and I absolutely hated the art style. These are of course opinions but it's still a mighty shame considering everyone else seems to absolutely love the game.

tlgAlaska

Dec 6, 2010
As I work my way through the backlog in my steam library I find myself abandonning more and more games that don't really grab me. Once it becomes a chore to play through a game it's a waste of time.

Most recent abandoned game is Child of Light. I love games like this that are in a painterly style, but the dialogues were jarring and the fights tedious and boring.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
Painkiller for me - played the first few levels but the game gave me motion sickness and a headache. Haven't really been interested enough to try again so it's collecting dust on my shelf

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
If it's given up completely I guess whole generations of consoles though I recently plugged in my GameCube so I could play GameBoy games on my TV. There's no telling when I might come back to certain games if I still have them. The only game I know I definitely won't be playing again is the last SSX game (the 2012) it was just lacking the fun of the previous games I am more likely to play any of the older ones instead. That was also the last time I bought an EA game.

Elfgore said:
Final Fantasy 13 is just sitting in my game rack. Haven't put it in my PS3 for ages, I'm just stuck in this hellish part. I play for five minutes and just scream "done!". No other game really comes to mind at the moment.
I gave up on it too though more out of boredom, periodically I play it again for about half an hour get annoyed and then have do something else instead.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
I asked my sister for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for my birthday. She sent it to me and I knew going in exactly what to except, so that includes the annoying companion and her pathetic attempt at the end to connect with me despite not doing anything to make me care for her because she was so uninteresting the whole time among other reasons, the lack of innovation where they should have innovated, the inability to fully use impressionistic art style to its full potential, etc. as well as the good things like the time shift stones, the more athletic Link, the boss battle mode. I knew it wasn't a masterpiece or even the best Zelda game as so many critics say for every major Zelda release it seems, but that ultimately I would enjoy it.

The thing is I just sort of stopped right before the finish line. I wanted to talk to Thunder Dragon God guy, do boss battle mode, and get the special indestructible shield, so the minute Demise offered me the final battle I ran off in the other direction to do that instead. And, I haven't touched the game since; haven't fought Demise. This is a combination of things. I do need to focus more on college and work and what not. Plus, it is a lot easier for me to turn on my sub-par laptop and play any of my Steam or GOG games than to reconnect my Wii to the TV (My Mom doesn't like me to leave it plugged in), find the one remote that actually can connect as a 1st player (my other 3 remotes refuse to connect unless there is already a 1st player connected for some reason; they didn't do this until somewhat/relatively recently), and put the game in. I just don't feel like it.

Bioshock is another victim of abandonment. 24 hours in, close to the finale, and I just stopped that one too. Haven't touched it in a year.

Bastion I sort of stopped too, but I'm not really sure why except that when I stopped I just wanted to play a different genre to avoid my growing genre fatigue. I really thought I'd go back to it, yet it's been close to 2 months now.

Those are the only games I have truly outright abandoned even though I will eventually go back to beat them. I recently got Devil May Cry 3 and 4, my first experience owning any of the DMC franchise, despite the warnings about the inferiority of the PC versions (though it works well enough and I got used to the control scheme) and beat 3, but didn't do everything. I stopped after a while though I managed to get halfway with Vergil upon unlocking him. I just needed a break. There's only so many times I can replay sections a game pretends to be new by adding some new puzzle or something. There is so much recycling, you might as well be playing entire same missions again sometimes, and having played through multiple difficulties at this point, it just got tiring.

CanadianEgg

Mar 12, 2014
Minecraft, it just felt that later in the beta development it stepped away from the pure survival. The game started to turn into more adventure, which I don't mind but it seemed to step away from the thought that the world is out to get you and it wanted you to see the world more.

CanadianEgg

Mar 12, 2014
Minecraft, it just felt that later in the beta development it stepped away from the pure survival. The game started to turn into more adventure, which I don't mind but it seemed to step away from the thought that the world is out to get you and it wanted you to see the world more.