Games Where The Soundtrack is Just as Important as the Gameplay

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
I have to disagree with fighting games because it really isn't important, it could possibly be even distracting to the player. The soundtrack would only be relevant to a singleplayer experience, but most fighters are about competition. I have seen players wear headphones for their own music.

I have to add Legend of Zelda, as it is remembered for it's soundtrack and it's gameplay.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Glongpre said:
Final Fantasy. No one gets giddy about their favourite battle system.
This.

Sephiroth would not be Sephiroth without One Winged Angel playing in the background.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
In-game music vital to complete the game's experience without being integral to gameplay... hm. In list form and in no particular order:
Awesomenauts
Guild Wars 1&2
any Final Fantasy
No More Heroes
any Mega Man, especially the Classic and X series
DOOM, Duke Nukem 3D, and their brethren of spunkgargleweewee-free FPS's
Pokemon, particularly gen V onwards
Project X Zone, or any crossover/nostalgia title
Devil May Cry
Minecraft
any Star Wars (or equally-relevant licensed title)
Bastion (and its yet unborn cousin, Transistor)

Delcast said:
Dear Esther...
...is not a game, strictly speaking. Sorry.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
Hm. Let's see...
For me, Final Fantasy (Most of the games), MadWorld, and Zone of the Enders (The original and 2nd Runner, at least) come to mind. There are probably more I'm not thinking of...

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
2xDouble said:
hmm, if you want to be technical, strictly speaking, many videogames are no longer "games". The name "videogames" is just a heavily loaded naming tradition that doesn't really define the experience of videogames anymore... Sorry.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
You mentioned FEZ - fair choice. I raise you REZ. That was one game that was just all about music, inducing epileptic fits and vibrating the much sought after dongle thing bit.

I consider the music to be an integral part of Hotline Miami. The game just becomes a sort of pixellated art combo to enjoy the music with.

I think Demon's Souls and Dark Souls use music very much to their advantage. Encounering a freakingly deadly boss type character that's bound to send you straight into fight-or-flight mode can only get better with classical instruments blaring from all the speakers you can afford. Also, people screaming at you at the most inopportune times in full surround sound is bound to make you wake up from your dreams, drenched in an ocean of sweat. I think that rocks and gives plenty of momentum to the notion that music and sound do matter.

MagnumOsprey

May 31, 2013
Really? I have to come out of my cave again so I can be the one who has to say it? Fine.

Pokemon. The soundtrack for the Pokemon games has always been superb in my opinion. I feel like every generation of pokemon games comes with a new and exciting soundtrack. It really helps keep a game that has ultimately stayed nearly the same over more than a decade, feel fresh and fun.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Mass Effect has a lovely soundtrack, lots of games have good music in...but important soundtracks?
Spec Ops: The Line.
Nothing makes you feel more badass than gunning people down while kickass music plays. Heroic, badass, fun. Almost makes you wonder how much of that music was actually real, and how much was in Walker's head...

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
BloodWriter said:
This is a no-brainer:

Hotline Miami.
Oh god, yes. A lot of times, I'll wait for a certain part of a song to start my attack; you get that satisfying melee noise in time with the beat.

Man, I can be sick sometimes.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Andy Shandy said:
Any rhythm game ever. If your game doesn't have some great music to rock/sing/dance along to, you're kinda fucked.
Which is why I'm a 12 year veteran of Dance games. Come join our community.

Don't forget Konami's other bemani games. Pop'n music, beatmania IIDX,DDR. Taiko no Tatsujin,Pump it up,In the Groove. Also go play Lumines.

Music games will give you EXACTLY what you're looking for. Also, give the simulators a try. Stepmainia and check out Flash Flash Revolution. Music games are more than still around. TRUST ME!!

Other games for me.....

Twin Cobra (NES)
The Guardian Legend (NES)
Tetris (Tengen version and NES version)
Ninja Gaiden Series (NES)
Super Dodge Ball (NES)
Castlevania I-III (NES)
Final Fantasy series
Super Metroid
Double Dragon
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II
R-Type Delta
chrono trigger and Chrono Cross
Street Fighter II and Street Fighter Alpha II and III

I can't imagine any of these games existing without it's music. I have most of the OSTs to these games.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Delcast said:
2xDouble said:
hmm, if you want to be technical, strictly speaking, many videogames are no longer "games". The name "videogames" is just a heavily loaded naming tradition that doesn't really define the experience of videogames anymore... Sorry.
Not true. "Video Game" is a highly literal term describing a game played on video. The term "Game" is defined [https://www.google.com/search?q=definition+game&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS497US502&oq=definition+game&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l3j62l2.5770j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS497US502&q=game&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=AnrcUauDAvej4AOuv4H4Ag&ved=0CCsQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg&fp=605cccb3dbaf8e8&biw=1360&bih=643] as: A form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

None of which describes a visual novel, which requires no input from the "player" other than page turns, nor presents any of the defined characteristics of a "game" (determination by strength, skill, luck, etc.). Entities such as Dear Esther are not games; they are other things entirely.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
2xDouble said:
Delcast said:
2xDouble said:
Not true. "Video Game" is a highly literal term describing a game played on video. The term "Game" is defined [https://www.google.com/search?q=definition+game&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS497US502&oq=definition+game&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l3j62l2.5770j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS497US502&q=game&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=AnrcUauDAvej4AOuv4H4Ag&ved=0CCsQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg&fp=605cccb3dbaf8e8&biw=1360&bih=643] as: A form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

None of which describes a visual novel, which requires no input from the "player" other than page turns, nor presents any of the defined characteristics of a "game" (determination by strength, skill, luck, etc.). Entities such as Dear Esther are not games; they are other things entirely.
As I said, many videogames don't fit that definition, even some of the ones you listed are left out ( and by the way, that is a very narrow definition of "game", in fact modern descriptions include much more than that ). In any case, what about single player games? those are not strictly competitive. Even more, what about non competitive activities? what about simply exploration or games such as Proteus, Fez, Journey, Flow, Knytt or Flower, just to name a few of the more modern ones. What about games where you can't lose? What about narrative games? What about simulation games?

Definitions are inaccurate to describe this relatively new medium, today the creativity of the developers shapes the definitions of what can be a game, and not really the other way around. Using a definition to justify the lack of variability in an industry only displays a rather stagnant mentality.

In fact, it is silly to judge a certain digital product as a game because of the degree of obligatory established interactions that we can have with it: Microsoft flight simulator is no more game than pong, and Dear Esther is no less game than any Final Fantasy. The only distinction is what you accomplish within the rule set defined by each respective universe.

wickedmonkey

Nov 11, 2009
I'm concerned no one has mentioned Total Annihilation or Journey...

Well, consider that issue rectified.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
alphamalet said:
OT: No games soundtrack will ever be more important than it's gameplay, but I think the ones that come closest (and I mean really close) is probably rhythm games. Even so, if the gameplay is broken it's not going to matter how good the music is behind the gameplay.
So the soundtrack ISN'T important? here are my 2 solid counter arguments:

The NES port:
The original arcade version without the music:

Also, this:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VariableMix

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The only reason I consider Silent Hill 2 to be a good Silent Hill game is because it has the best soundtrack. And of course, the music in 1, 3 and 4 also added immeasurably to the experience.

Also, Guitar Hero. Because I'm unimaginative.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Delcast said:
2xDouble said:
Delcast said:
2xDouble said:

As I said, many videogames don't fit that definition, even some of the ones you listed are left out ( and by the way, that is a very narrow definition of "game", in fact modern descriptions include much more than that ). In any case, what about single player games? those are not strictly competitive. Even more, what about non competitive activities? what about simply exploration or games such as Proteus, Fez, Journey, Flow, Knytt or Flower, just to name a few of the more modern ones. What about games where you can't lose? What about narrative games? What about simulation games?

Definitions are inaccurate to describe this relatively new medium, today the creativity of the developers shapes the definitions of what can be a game, and not really the other way around. Using a definition to justify the lack of variability in an industry only displays a rather stagnant mentality.

In fact, it is silly to judge a certain digital product as a game because of the degree of obligatory established interactions that we can have with it: Microsoft flight simulator is no more game than pong, and Dear Esther is no less game than any Final Fantasy. The only distinction is what you accomplish within the rule set defined by each respective universe.
You are arguing that the term "game" is identical to "media", or "art work", which are significantly broader terms. Is a book a game because you have to turn the page? or a movie a game because you have to press "play"? No, they are not. They are all art works and media, but they are not games.

Dear Esther simply does not meet the requirements of a game. Every other game you list has at least some element of challenge to it. Even Flower require precise timing and piloting skills and offer the chance to not only explore the world, but to shape it. (Minecraft is the ur-example of that genre, and yet nobody would argue that it is not a game, even in Creative mode. strictly speaking, Minecraft is every game.) But you don't accomplish anything in Dear Esther. You are not a participant in any action, your presence and activity have no bearing on anything surrounding you. That is not, by any definition, a game. That is a movie, or at best, a book.

Maybe you're right. Maybe words having definitions is too restrictive. In which case: sign cheetah mightily jello stop entirely scissor splashed breaking devour.

VincentMm

Feb 13, 2009
I think every game has to have a soundtrack that fits and enhances the experience - it really does make a difference.

As stated repeatedly above, Final Fantasy games are a really good example of this.

<3 Nobuo.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Everyone in this thread that did not say "Bastion" needs to hang their heads in shame.