Games where you play as a villain.

D-Class 198482

Jul 17, 2012
Goddamn it everyone, why has nobody mentioned Destroy All Humans? The point of the game is literally in the name, you go around destroying humans and (according to Pox) make them into hamburgers.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
StarCraft 1, back when the writing was good and Kerrigan was a badass character.

I also remember the old Double Dragon fighting game for SNES, in one of the modes you compete to be the apprentice of the Shadow Master

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
D-Class 198482 said:
Goddamn it everyone, why has nobody mentioned Destroy All Humans? The point of the game is literally in the name, you go around destroying humans and (according to Pox) make them into hamburgers.
Removing the planetary equivalent of cancer from the planet is not Villainous behaviour. Those Aliens are the savours of the planet Earth.

Evil Genius
Overlord 1&2
KOTOR 1&2
Fable 1&2&3
Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
Hitman
Star Wars: Battlefront 1&2 (you get to be the Empire and can even play Sidious in 2).
Star War the Force Unleashed, Darth Starkiller path rather than the canon one.
Kingdom Under Fire series.
Bioshock 1.
Prototype 1.
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
krazykidd said:
I'd say bayonetta . She kills angels . We need a bayonetta/DMC crossover .

Also GTA San andreas . You start the game fresh out of prison .

The suffering . You murdered your children and ended up in jail.

Silent hill 3 . If you believe what vincent says.
Angels are far from benevolent beings in Bayonetta. If anything the light aligned beings are bigger dicks than the demons, who are at least honest in their nature.

Just about everything I could think of came up but I still got one. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. At your best in that game you're a human who cast aside their most of their humanity to become a demon by making a deal with Lucifer, at your worst you get rid of what little remains to destroy the world and command the armies of hell to fight god himself.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Overlord
Destroy all humans.
VTM:B
Neveriwnter nights 2: MOTB has a reasonable evil play through although it dose assume you didn't pick the evil end for the main. You can play evil in many rpgs but it usually doesn't fit well and causes the plot to make no sense.

and that's all I can think of. *shrug*

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Quick scroll through, but didn't see anyone mention Payday. You are obviously the villain in that game.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Without delving much into spoilers and depending on how you perceive it, Spec Ops: The Line certainly has you playing as a less than admirable person. While a big defense for you is that you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, the whole time, all the endings cast you as being guilty of some pretty awful things - which you can accept, embrace, or regret with your actions.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
Jade Empire is my favorite example, if you adhere to "The Way of the Closed Fist."
Near the end you decide to drain the power from/slowly kill a god, more or less permanently fucking the entire celestial order of things and making so that no one can pass onto the afterlife. All because you want to be the most powerful being in the world.
Good times.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Spec Ops: the Line

Shadow of the Colossus

Do fighting games count? If so, I think most fighting games have at least 1 villain you can play as.
There was also this game called Splatterhouse, in which you played as Jason Vorhees. Your enemies might have been even worse than you but that didn't make you the good guy. You were still a machete wielding psychopath.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Chaosian said:
Without delving much into spoilers and depending on how you perceive it, Spec Ops: The Line certainly has you playing as a less than admirable person. While a big defense for you is that you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, the whole time, all the endings cast you as being guilty of some pretty awful things - which you can accept, embrace, or regret with your actions.
Metro 2033 does something vaguely similar. Playing it like a typical shooter, you'll end up causing more problems than you solve.

Prototype, you end up causing way too much collateral damage while trying to figure out why you suddenly have superpowers, and only start really acting more heroic near the end once you've eaten enough people with morals and ethics. (This doesn't count player actions, where you just eat everyone.)

In order to FULFILL THE PROPHECY (which may be total bullshit) you have to kill a ton of heroic characters, or cause a lot of misery for a lot of people.

- You kill Sif.
- You release the Darkwraiths.
- You kill The Fair Lady's sister, who was combination bodyguard, doctor and iron lung for her.
- You kill Ornstein, (possibly) captain of Gywn's four knights.

And, some things that may be averted...

- You doom Solaire of Astora to link the fire.
- You drive Siegmeyer to despair by constantly saving his life, making him appear worthless.
- You lead to Reah's kidnapping, to be experimented on by Seath.
- You kill the Pinwheel necromancer in the Catacombs, who may have actually been a nice guy after all.
- You lead Logan to the Duke's Archives, where he goes mad with power.
- You tell Laurentius of the presence of a brilliant Pyromancy teacher in Blighttown, he hollows searching for her.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Do RTS' count?

or deeper question, is the villain really just the name for an opponent? If you're helping your side and overcoming your enemies, are you ever the villain of your own story? Or are you just the hero fighting for a given side?

What about all the videogame 'heroes' whose mass murdering sprees would put them as indisputable villains if measured by real life standards, yet in game they're a big 'hero'?

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Surprised no one mentioned Knights of the Old Republic.

A man in the street calls for help.
Option 1: Save him from thugs and repay his debts using personal funds.
Option 2: Murder everyone involved.

Evonisia said:
In all honesty I didn't know that "doing bad things" made one the villain. The Rapture Family wasn't exactly doing anything that evil in BioShock 2 (until the end but whatever).
..Kidnapping children?

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Payday 1&2, your are unequivocally the bad guy through and through in those games.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
You know this goes back to my dream of there one day being a game that has the balls to let you play a nazi, and show the moral, ethical, and social repercussions of being ordered to do terrible things. Humanize the German people during world war 2 and all that...

But really as for evil people in video games you cant beat Saints Row, you are by far one of the most evil people ever featured in a video game, and the best part is the boss does not seem to care at all about the horrors he/she inflicts.

ninjapenguin1414

Jun 16, 2011
Joel from the Last of Us. And before anyone thinks that he's an antihero think of what he did at the end of the game to save Ellie
Kills an innocent women in cold blood after she begged for her life when she was trying to save the world just because he just didn't want to lose another "daughter"
To me that's more evil than someone like David who was just trying to survive.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Hmmm I suppose we really could use a few more 'mechanically designed' to make the player the bad guy and actually enjoy it games...

Something to think about.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
The Madman said:
God of War obviously. Kratos has got to be one of the most psychopathic game characters I've seen in quite some time.
Funny thing is, in the first game, you can totally root for him, considering Ares made him kill his family for no good reason. After that game it's get so much harder to say, "I can see where this guy is coming from." Everything he touches be it man, god, or statue he will kill/destroy it without remorse. At least he realizes at the end of God of War 3, that he is the source of all his problems. Too little too late I'm afraid Kratos, you already practically destroyed the world.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Mikejames said:
Surprised no one mentioned Knights of the Old Republic.

A man in the street calls for help.
Option 1: Save him from thugs and repay his debts using personal funds.
Option 2: Murder everyone involved.

Evonisia said:
In all honesty I didn't know that "doing bad things" made one the villain. The Rapture Family wasn't exactly doing anything that evil in BioShock 2 (until the end but whatever).
..Kidnapping children?
Well there's that, but as far as I can tell it was Eleanor alone (she gives the orders to the Big Sisters), not necessarily the whole family, unless there's an audio log telling us of other members doing it.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Evonisia said:
Well there's that, but as far as I can tell it was Eleanor alone (she gives the orders to the Big Sisters), not necessarily the whole family, unless there's an audio log telling us of other members doing it.
Like Sophia Lamb? The one behind everything? Eleanor only acted villainous if you played that way.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Mikejames said:
Evonisia said:
Like Sophia Lamb? The one behind everything? Eleanor only acted villainous if you played that way.
Oh crumbs I got the names mixed up which I think I did even while I was playing the game. I was trying to refer to Sofia because the only thing Eleanor controls is the Little Sisters (whom don't really do anything that fits this thread's definition of 'evil).