Games with a good story-line.

Alon Doron

Mar 7, 2012
For some time, I've been looking for PC games with a good plot.
I also have a fondness for free-roaming games, such as fallout 3/new vegas, skyrim etc.
I've completed the mass effect series, and the bioshock one, too.
I've also completed all PC AC games.
Any suggestions?

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
If a good narrative is what you're looking for, I'd suggest a film or novel really... but... if you're hell bent on a game, well...

The Remedy games are pretty good (Max Payne, Alan Wake), Deus Ex (all three are good), Planescape Torment (be warned, the gameplay is a total drag though), Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy to our NA friends). Arguably the other Bioware games, like KotOR, Dragon Age and Baldurs Gate, although its more the player choice rather than narrative that make these enjoyable, also the dialogue is for the most part well written.

These games have decent stories, but they tend to have the usual gameplay/story disconnect issues that all games tend to have, if you find a game in your travels that seamlessly integrates story and gameplay together, you let me know haha.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Foxpack1 said:
Assassins Creed. Starts out repetitive but has an incredible story.
Yeah, it does start out repetitive. You may want to go straight for AC2 - you're not missing anything important from 1, the relevant parts are recapped anyway.

Legacy of Kain series. Although chances of a final chapter are slim at this point (it has been almost 9 years since the last game...and E3 passed again with nosign of anything), the story so far is amazing, and it only lacks a few loose ends to be tied up. This is the order of the games:
Blood Omen - it's on PSN store and you can find PC copies either free (but they lack the in-game cinematics...which you can find on YouTube) or second hand somewhere.
Soul Reaver - it's on GOG. For some reason, the intro sound is slightly different than normal, you can download this file [https://hotfile.com/dl/154420373/88b5c69/Intro.bik.html] and swap it with the other to get the "normal" sound.
Soul Reaver 2 - you can find it on the Eidos store for PC. There is a typo - the store page lists the game as £9.99 but it is actually £5.99 when you add it to your cart.
Blood Omen 2 - the game is the lowest point in the series. I don't know know if you can even find it non second hand. You are perfectly justified not buying or playing this - read a plot guide if you're really interested. Here is an excellent one [http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/914777-legacy-of-kain-defiance/faqs/25247] by LOKFanatic.
Defiance - the same as SR2.

Well, these aren't free roaming, except BO1 and (to a slightly lesser extent) SR1, but the games are excellent.