Games with a truly compelling storyline

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
I've recently developed a liking for real story to things, and a lot of suspense and stuff that leaves you screaming for more until you're finished, at which point you fall asleep contemplating upon it.

Well, it's hard to find games like that, and that makes me a bit distressed. I mean, Bioshock sort of did that for me, until the end, in which you actually MEET Fontaine, wherein it becomes just another game where you shoot at a dude with superpowers.

So, long story short, let's list off some games that have a good storyline to them, alight? =D

Dorian

Jan 16, 2009
The best ones I've seen probably tie between the Halo series and Oblivion.

Kriegsherr

Jan 10, 2009
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, seriously underrated. Loved every minute of it. Take the story for what it is and it can really draw you in

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
Portal Maniac said:
Halo? *Shudder*
I'm sorry...But Halo's story isn't compelling. Some of its gameplay can be, but the story is "Mater Chief, there's some big rings in the sky, go blow them up." "...'Kay." Then he does, and gets trapped in a space ship. The end.

I mean, great gameplay to it, definitely, but story? Not so much.

VoidObject

Jan 29, 2009
Compelling story line? I think you need to explain or expand on compelling...

I really enjoyed FF7's storyline.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
Braid and Starcraft both have excellent stories, but they both require rather a lot of gameplay in order to advance the plot. The final level of Braid and the final cutscene of Brood War are both incredible and really touching.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I believe Oblivion comes to mind, Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia(not really that great, but excellent at leaving me wanting more.)

Dorian

Jan 16, 2009
Crazzee said:
Portal Maniac said:
Halo? *Shudder*
I'm sorry...But Halo's story isn't compelling. Some of its gameplay can be, but the story is "Mater Chief, there's some big rings in the sky, go blow them up." "...'Kay." Then he does, and gets trapped in a space ship. The end.

I mean, great gameplay to it, definitely, but story? Not so much.
Well, I guess we have different tastes in good story. Mines the kind where you're getting by on the skin of your teeth, very lucky people, and swords. Yours is..... not like mine. I guess.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
VoidObject said:
Compelling story line? I think you need to explain or expand on compelling...
I think I'm using it the way I intended...*Looks it up in the dictionary*
Yeah, something that draws you in and stuff like that.

Zetona said:
Braid and Starcraft both have excellent stories, but they both require rather a lot of gameplay in order to advance the plot. The final level of Braid and the final cutscene of Brood War are both incredible and really touching.
I hear so much good stuff about Starcraft...I can get it for 20 bucks, I think I'm gonna do that. Also, a few of my friends(and also Yahtzee) said that the fact that the Braid story is in a different room than the levels just completely ruined it, although it IS a good game.

I did rather like Portal's story, though it was hard to follow until GLaDOS actually tries to kill you for the first time and starts to tie the loose edges together.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Bioshock, Call Of Duty 4, Condemned, The Darkness, Dead Space, Deus Ex, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout (1, 2 and 3), Grand Theft Auto IV, Killer7, Mass Effect, Max Payne (1 and 2), Metal Gear Solid (1-4), Myst (1-5), Project Zero (1, 2 and 3), Silent Hill (1-5, especially 2), Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic, Valkyria Chronicles