Games with "Anime-esque" Intros

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Some games...mostly Japanese...will sometimes have some intro to them that seems out of an anime. Sometimes they even are done in anime form, but that isnt a requirement. Just show off or tell of some anime-esque intros some games have. Preferably ones you like.

Again, doesnt have to be actual anime style visually. Some examples:

(Coincidence that both are awesome games about Ninjas :p)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Saelune said:
Some games...mostly Japanese...will sometimes have some intro to them that seems out of an anime. Sometimes they even are done in anime form, but that isnt a requirement. Just show off or tell of some anime-esque intros some games have. Preferably ones you like.

Again, doesnt have to be actual anime style visually. Some examples:

(Coincidence that both are awesome games about Ninjas :p)
Oh, there are many. The NES Ninja Gaiden games and The Super Shinobi series (Revenge & III) all were inspired my anime and cinema. Especially in Ninja Gaiden's case.

Sonic Riders and Sonic CD both have a stylized animated intros.Granted Sonic CD's animation was contemporary at the time.

On the Western side, there is Oni, which drew heavy inspiration from Ghost in Shell. It's a sequel Bungie should have developed, as the game is heavily flawed. I played it through once, and gave it a way after a while.

<spoiler= Oni Opening>

Sep 14, 2009

about as anime as you can get, still like it alot though.
I picked the japanese intro simply because they removed the singing from the english one, no idea why, sounds great.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I'd have trouble listing every anime intro I like so I'll just go a number of greatest hits. And yeah Tales are some of the best but they had a bad habit of censoring the songs in the dubs so I'd end up importing those always. Now with that mentioned I guess we can start with my fav Tales one, mainly due to the song. Bump of chicken are awesome.

Tales of the Abyss

Project X Zone

Ar Tonelico 2

Suikoden 3

World of FF (it isn't entirely in anime form but it's really really damn good)

SK: Shinobi versus

Tears to Tiara 2 (PLAY THIS GAME, GO, NOW, GO!)

Disgaea 2

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Ladies and gents, I give you the opening for Zone of the Enders: the Second Runner

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Pretty much every suikoden and wild arms do. The wild arms will even change depending on how far you are in the games.

https://youtu.be/04cm8X95c5g?t=1m36s

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Persona 5 is an automatic in, no question.

Other than that, lemme see if I can find it...

Ah, here we go!

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
FalloutJack said:

Ah, here we go!

You stole both of mine you greedy bastard!

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Fox12 said:
FalloutJack said:

Ah, here we go!

You stole both of mine you greedy bastard!
P5 should've been mentioned by the OP, anyway.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I'm not really a fan of the series myself (I suck ass at fighting games), but the first BlazBlue probably has my favorite OP. Having read up on the plot of the games to a certain extent, it's certainly convoluted enough to warrant being an anime. :p

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Mahorfeus said:
I'm not really a fan of the series myself (I suck ass at fighting games), but the first BlazBlue probably has my favorite OP. Having read up on the plot of the games to a certain extent, it's certainly convoluted enough to warrant being an anime.
Well an anime adaptation of the second game does exist, so seems someone thought similarly.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Battleborn's opening reminds me of anime I'd seen in Peter Chung's Aeon Flux

Sadly, I have not beaten the first level and I have to watch this whole thing all over every time I play! Maybe that's why it "lost" to Overwatch.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
FalloutJack said:

Ah, here we go!

You just took my xenogears post

Well here's some that I like

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
The new TMNT season into.

No, seriously...it's like someone said 'hey, this is our final season...let's fucking copy Cowboy Bebop and roll with it'.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Never played a Persona game :p Hell, the closest I have ever played was Revelations for the Game Boy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megami_Tensei_Gaiden:_Last_Bible

Edit: Its a game where you can talk to monsters and befriend them. Suck it Undertale.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Saelune said:
FalloutJack said:
Never played a Persona game :p Hell, the closest I have ever played was Revelations for the Game Boy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megami_Tensei_Gaiden:_Last_Bible

Edit: Its a game where you can talk to monsters and befriend them. Suck it Undertale.
Suck it, indeed. Let's see...

Persona 1 and 2 (both of #2) - Negotiate with monsters for their card to create Personas.

Shin Megami Tensei games (like Notcurne and the like) - Recruit demons to fight on your team directly.

Persona 5 - Talk to demons to directly turn them right into your new Persona.

Pretty much all Megaten games with demons in 'em are like this. Undertale is unique in its own way, but not in this aspect.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Dreiko said:
All I can find in english is Tears to Tiara 2 heir to the overlord. Is that the one you are on about or does the extra subtitle mean its different i.e a spin off of the second entry?

Anyway for the sake of the thread and any vague opportunity to post the best game opening of all time ill leave this here.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Maximum Bert said:
Dreiko said:
All I can find in english is Tears to Tiara 2 heir to the overlord. Is that the one you are on about or does the extra subtitle mean its different i.e a spin off of the second entry?

Anyway for the sake of the thread and any vague opportunity to post the best game opening of all time ill leave this here.

Yeah there's just one TtT2, I just didn't mention the subtitle. It has probably the best story any straight fantasy/swords/magic Jrpg has ever had and the gameplay is a mix of FFT and Fire Emblem but with more cool things such as super form transformations, rideable war Elephants and Boars and a whole lot of out there skills and story based win conditions that break up the monotony. The ratio is something like 70% VN and 30% Srpg. It's about 80 hours long and don't worry about not having played the first as this is a standalone story, though you can watch the anime of the first game to get an idea, beyond a couple cameos for series vets there's nothing you won't get by just playing this.

I won't say anything about the story beyond that the protagonist here is top tier material and that you will wanna prepare tissues cause the title isn't "tears" for no reason.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Dreiko said:
Yeah there's just one TtT2, I just didn't mention the subtitle. It has probably the best story any straight fantasy/swords/magic Jrpg has ever had and the gameplay is a mix of FFT and Fire Emblem but with more cool things such as super form transformations, rideable war Elephants and Boars and a whole lot of out there skills and story based win conditions that break up the monotony. The ratio is something like 70% VN and 30% Srpg. It's about 80 hours long and don't worry about not having played the first as this is a standalone story, though you can watch the anime of the first game to get an idea, beyond a couple cameos for series vets there's nothing you won't get by just playing this.

I won't say anything about the story beyond that the protagonist here is top tier material and that you will wanna prepare tissues cause the title isn't "tears" for no reason.
Thanks for clearing that up I was about 80% sure that was the case but wanted to be certain. Think I will give the title a look im not crazy about SRPGS but dont dislike them either and I do enjoy a good story so will put it on my list.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Maximum Bert said:
Dreiko said:

Thanks for clearing that up I was about 80% sure that was the case but wanted to be certain. Think I will give the title a look im not crazy about SRPGS but dont dislike them either and I do enjoy a good story so will put it on my list.
This game is mainly all about the story, the Srpg part is well done (you can go back in turns in case you make a mistake instead of just outight having to redo a fight and a lot of cool super moves and combo supers and stuff exist) but you mainly need to look at this as a VN first and a Srpg second. I hope you end up liking it as much as I did, not enough people gave this game a shot I fear.