Games with black protagonists?

K12

Dec 28, 2012
The_Kodu said:
K12 said:
The_Kodu said:
Unrest - indie game set in a fantasy interpretation of India with a variety of characters only one of which I believe is white

Prince of Persia - on a very technical sense he's persian

Shadow man - weird mystical adventure game

Broken Age - Vella

Guacamelee - I'm pretty sure Mexican doesn't count as white generally.

If you're going for merely no white.

Chel from portal

Faith from Mirrors Edge

Jade from Beyond Good and Evil

50 cent bulletproof and 50 cent blood on the sand ....... though I don't recommend them.

Shenmue

Far Cry 4

GTA IV the Ballard of Gay Tony

GTA V

Less than half of those games have black protagonists...
LeathermanKick25 said:
The_Kodu said:
Unrest - indie game set in a fantasy interpretation of India with a variety of characters only one of which I believe is white

Prince of Persia - on a very technical sense he's persian

Shadow man - weird mystical adventure game

Broken Age - Vella

Guacamelee - I'm pretty sure Mexican doesn't count as white generally.

If you're going for merely no white.

Chel from portal

Faith from Mirrors Edge

Jade from Beyond Good and Evil

50 cent bulletproof and 50 cent blood on the sand ....... though I don't recommend them.

Shenmue

Far Cry 4

GTA IV the Ballard of Gay Tony

GTA V
You do realise he specifically said black? Black doesn't equate to "everything that isn't white".
Really you're going to be upset because they're "Not black enough" ?

Also I did say if he was after just non white protagonist those characters could be used.
Try "not black at all".

You also made your comment about non-white characters after already listing a Mexican and a Persian character (and why would you ask the OP if they wanted non-white characters when they specifically asked for black characters anyway?). So are those two "black enough" by your understanding. Hey, I'm half Irish, am I "black enough" for this list?

... to actually add a useful comment. If you're counting DLC then Assassin's Creed 4 has Freedom Cry which has a black protagonist.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
The_Kodu said:
Because from what I've seen from US culture often Black and Person of colour are rather interchangeable.
I'll try not to grind you for this or frustrate you the way the other responses might have based on their semi-hostile phrasing.

As someone from the US that is mostly very far from the truth. I'm not even sure how you got that idea. In the literal sense we both refer to races differently and differentiate on our census. In the more abstract sense we systemically and systematically treat each other differently - even within the sphere of people of color - even if many of us don't on an individual level. Basically, no: Usually "black" and "person of color" are not interchangeable. Someone who is black is a person of color but not all peoples of color are considered black.

You say "from what I've seen" so I have to assume you have limited exposure and it's skewed things a bit compared to if you had more exposure. If that were the case people wouldn't be responding to you the way they are. I don't think it's unfairly over-reactionary honestly even if they could have responded better because your view on what we do only applies to very limited circumstances and is otherwise untrue (through no fault of your own of course).

wfieldb

Mar 25, 2011
Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure [http://store.steampowered.com/app/260190/]

The Steam page has pretty much all the pertinent information since I haven't played it in nearly a decade so my memory of it is pretty cloudy but I do remember it being ridiculously fun at the time.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Tons of games about rappers. Movie tyings.

Suffering 1&2. Afro Samurai. You looking for poocs or just blacks?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I'm genuinely surprised how few people instantly thought of GTA San Andreas. I always thought of that game as THE game that said a big "FU" to anyone who said you couldn't make a massively successful game with a black protagonist.

While we're talking about sandboxes, we also have Chris Jacobs from Mercenaries 1 and 2:

And of course, Lincoln Clay from the upcoming Mafia III

Salsajoe

Dec 18, 2012
Does it have to be characters who've been written by the devs of that particular game, or are playermade characters part of this? In the case of the latter: Any game with a proper character creation.

Other than that

Alien Swarm has a playable black person

Broforce

Payday 1 and/or 2 (cannot remember)

Tropico has those 'El presidentes' who can be black if you choose the predetermined, or the character creation which then causes this game to fall under the aforementioned category. I am not sure if a character like that can be a protagonist in that sense though.

Dead Island

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
Lawrence Mujari from Syphon Filter. He has playable chapters in the 3rd and 4th games, while the fourth's protagonist is a created character, so he/she too can be black.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
TellTale's The Walking Dead Season 1 and Season 2, 400 Days and the Michonne DLC for Season 2.

You play as Lee and Clementine in Season 1 and 2, Russel in 400 Days, and Michonne in the DLC for season 2.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
Most I knew have already been mentioned. The one that wasn't is Valiant Hearts; one of the playable characters is a black man.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The heroine of Dontnod's Remember Me is of mixed European/African heritage, though this doesn't become readily apparent until fairly late in the game.

House of the Dead: Overkill/Typing of the Dead: Overkill and Blue Harvest both have black main characters, though you don't embody them all game.

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that haven't already been brought up.

(EDIT: Whoops- someone beat me to Remember Me.)

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Asclepion said:
There is the SiN series, a cyberpunk FPS about a woman trying to become a goddess using biotechnology and the only one who can stop her is a dreadlocked heavily armed badass, and is a game that almost no one remembers.
IIRC SiN was released in the same month as Half Life. Retail suicide.

Games with central black characters?
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
The Walking Dead
Dead Island
Prototype 2
Crackdown
50 Cent
GTA V
Urban Chaos, a terrible PS1-era game
Tiger Woods PGA Golf series
Just about every NBA game... or is that cheating?
Streets of Rage 1/2/3

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Dead Island has Sam B, Left 4 Dead has Louis and Coach, The walking dead has Lee and Clementine (is this a zombie genre thing?), Remember Me has Nilin (mixed). That's all I can think of right now out games I've played, not including make your own with a black option.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Ikasury said:
Remember Me has Nilin, she's black and a woman, so bonus points? :D
Wait, seriously? She's black? She looks whiter than that tea-tipped chick in Resi 5 who's supposed to pass as black.