Games with Breeding Mechanics

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Bad Jim said:
The game that really goes big with this is Fire Emblem: Awakening. You get over a dozen characters, and putting nearly any male/female pair together for enough battles will make them marry and produce offspring. And these are named characters, with written dialogue, and so are the offspring. It's not properly explained how a child can be conceived, born, and grow up to be battle ready within the time frame of the story but it is cool.
Uhm, yeah it is. Time travel.

Kyle Winston

Jul 22, 2013
Wasn't there an infamous sidequest in Final Fantasy 7 where you had to breed different colored chocobos to make one that could cross any terrain?

There is also Record of Agarest War. It spans 5 generations, each main character the son of the last. I am pretty sure every new main character has stats based upon not only the mother, but how high her affection rating was at the time of conception.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Massive Chalice on the Xbox One and PC relies heavily on this - I'd say it was like Crusader Kings crossed with XCOM: Enemy Unknown but then I'd just be insulting both games. The premise is as follows: A mysterious threat known as the 'Cadence' is slowly taking over the land. In order to defeat this Cadence, humanity must ensure it has enough Heroes to fight, and to do that, they need to breed the Heroes they have. It's an interesting concept, and the game takes place over a span of five hundred years, but the game fumbles it.
Five hundred years is a lengthy span of time - but the Cadence attack so rarely they're less of a slowly-encroaching world-threat and more of an occasional hiccup in the steady progression of basically nothing. I've had whole generations of Heroes grow old and die without ever meeting the Cadence, and although the game lets you pick between Thematic (serious) or Comic ('funny') names, you're still going to be using the same cartoon character models with shoulder-mounted crossbows or cabers. The melee weapons are cabers. Like battering-rams but...well, exactly like battering rams.

Anyhow - the battles play just like you'd expect, and your Heroes are pretty fragile but level up fast. I think the aim is to breed high-level Heroes to produce high-level offspring, but everything takes so damn long your Heroes get one battle per generation, at most.
I started this post with the intention of recommending you try the game, but then I couldn't think of anything positive beyond it being an interesting concept. Noble houses and eugenics is always weirdly fascinating, but Massive Chalice is not.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Final Fantasy VII yet.

You can breed chocobos for racing in that game. I spent bloody hours on that.

Edit: I see Kyle mentioned it now o_O

Chocobo breeding guide for people who are interested, it was a lot of fun:

http://www.chocobo-guide.mikestomb.com/

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
Agarest Wars and its sequels generally have your protagonist take a wife and produce children who become your new player character once the story of the old one is done. The first Agarest Wars for example followed about five generations of the same family. Who you choose to marry will have strong effects on the capabilities of the next generation.

moggett88

May 2, 2013
Chemical123 said:
I know it sounds weird but I just finished my campaign in Crusader Kings 2 where I finished breeding a line of genius rulers.

Anyways. Genre does not matter. RTS, TBS, RPG, FPS w/e as long as I have genetic traits that can be passed down generation to generation to make ultimate characters. AO games are welcome as well.
I put a lot of hours into Dragon Warrior Monsters for the Gameboy - basic graphics, but the breeding mechanics were legit. You could probably find an emulator version of it on the internets.

R.K. Meades

Oct 1, 2014
Kopikatsu said:
There is a game called Conception along with it's sequel, Conception 2.

I'm not super knowledgeable about the games but my understanding is that you're a guy who knocks up several Princesses and then assembles your bastard children into a party to save the world.
Conception was never localised, but Conception 2 came to English-speaking markets.

The PC is some enigmatic kid who is referred to as God's Gift. He produces ridiculous amounts of Ether-- apparently, that is what you need in order to reproduce with other gifted kids. The girls have different attributes, so you need to procreate (through a ridiculous ritual called Classmating [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM6EbKvvRF4]) with all of them in order to assemble balanced teams. A stronger bond leads to stronger Star Children. Each Star Child has a level cap, but you can get lucky and produce 'genius' offspring who are able to reach level 99. After the first 4-5 Labyrinths, I was able to stack teams with geniuses for the rest of the game. A weird experience, but definitely not the worst handheld RPG on the market.

Apr 5, 2008
Doesn't Sims 3 have something like this? At least the ability to have kids in the family?

Other things I can think of, even if only tangentially:
- Red Dead Redemption: Play as Marsten's son beyond the endgame.
- Fallout 3: Character creation involves the player character's birth.
- Fable 2/3: I believe the Hero can have his/her own children
- Skyrim: Can adopt kids. They don't actually do anything except roll their eyes and sigh when asked to go inside.
- Baldur's Gate II: If the male PC romances Aeria, in ToB she has a baby. It does nothing but take up an inventory slot.

Treeberry

Nov 27, 2013
Arguably Persona and the Shin Megami Tensei series although you 'fuse' monsters rather than breeding them. There's Agarest and I don't think anyone's mentioned Fire Emblem yet. I think you can do this in the Rune

I also just stumbled upon a game in the Steam library called Minimon although it's Early Access. I have no idea what's it like as I literally just found it and I don't buy EA games anyway (...).

For adult games you might want to check out the Visual Novel Database. There are lots of "raising sims" but I believe there are adult oriented monster breeding games too. Or least ero RPGs anyway.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
You all forgetting the immensely weird Creatures games? Breeding's pretty much the entire point of the game.

I remember Creatures 2 so well, it was one of the first games I really played. The aim of the game is breeding creatures, taking care of them, teaching them commands and indirectly exploring the world with them. You then had them breed, become smarter and smarter by unlocking all kinds of skills and whatnot. Not that I ever got far with it, I was never able to keep my lads happy and they just died off before I could get a steady family going.

Here's a little example of it:
It's...definitely odd, and quite its own thing.
gigastar said:
Dwarf Fortress keeps track of family for all named sentient creatures. If you run a single fortress long enough, most of your dwarves will end up being descended from the migrants.

Ive never found any convincing evidence that traits are passed down in the family though, since extracting that information from the several submenus for each individual is tedious, to say the least.

Another one i heard about was called Mewgenics. Currently in development hell last i checked.
But remember kids, keep those cats in check or else you'll have an explosion on your hands. [http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-518-nuclearcatsplosion]

NathLines

May 23, 2010
In case you have a PS Vita just laying around you could check out Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines. It's a turn based JRPG. Making your clan's children stronger and stronger with each generation is pretty much the crux of the game.

Your clan members are cursed with a 2-year lifespan and have lost their ability to reproduce normally. They have to undergo a special ritual with one of the many gods in the game in order to have children. You'll want to pair a clan member with as strong a god as possible, which is more expensive, but you also want to make enough children to have a full party.

Some clan members can even become gods themselves at the time of their death. You can also make heirloom armor and weapons for clan-members which get stronger through use in combat and as they are inherited from clan member to clan member.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Cocoon:_Story_of_the_Tamamayu

jade cocoon has a breeding mechanic in it. You kind of merge creatures to make stronger creatures.

Kind of a fridge nightmare type premise, but the game is fairly solid. I liked it back in the day.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Tokyo jungle comes to mind. A nice little indie game on psn.

Rogue legacy also comes to mind. A rogue lite where when you die your spawn takes over and tries to clear the dungeon.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Oreshika: Cursed Bloodline is a good game. It's about a dynasty that has children with Japanese Gods.

It sounds good if anything.

EDIT: What Nash Lines said.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Not exactly a game, but Forestry mod for Minecraft
Especially with additional bees added.
If beekeeping is your thing, it is mod for you