Games with GIANT ROBOTS

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Hi there, escapist! I've recently gotten back into Gundam, and am currently in the process of turning my bedroom into a mech haven. Now, as fun as watching giant robots fight and smashing toys together to pretend they are fighting are, sometimes I want to pretend I am INSIDE a giant robot.

So, any good games (on PC, cause I'm poor as shit) that let you control giant robots from the get go? I'm not looking for titanfall, as fun as it looks, and something closer to, say, Dyansty Warriors Gundam or maybe Super Robot Wars.

Any suggestions?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Sadly, the best game for you, and I mean specifically for your post, is PS3-only and a Japan exclusive on top of that. Another Century's Episode R sounds like your kind of game [https://youtu.be/RD4BGE_jMMk?t=50s].

At least MSGO (Mobile Suit Gundam Online [https://sites.google.com/site/msgoenglish/]) is a thing. Or was a thing. I'm not entirely sure.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I'd say import Gundam Breaker, if you had a PS3. Or Vita. That game is decent fun, with it's customization, and boss missions.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Mechwarrior series. Pretty sure they're all free to download too.
Soon you too can cause butthurt by killing an Atlas in a Raven with nothing but an ER pulse laser. Good times...

Rahkshi500

May 25, 2014
There's Zone of The Enders, both the first one and The 2nd Runner. Despite the horrible voice acting and overly simplistic plot, the gameplay and action is spot on, fast, intense, and full of badassery.

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
Check out Strike Suit Zero on steam. Its a pretty fun mech game.

Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/209540/

Rahkshi500

May 25, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
I know at least one of the Zone of the Enders games was an action game. Can't recall which, but its in the HD collection.
That would be the second one. The first one had more exploring-like elements, while The 2nd Runner was definitely more action-y, especially that one level of trying to get a battalion of rebels or something across an entire field with a huge army of Bahram mechs in your way.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Astebreed has a really cool nippon robot, but it's a bullethell game, so it may not be exactly what you're looking for.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Speaking of giant robots, did they ever make a Pacific Rim video game? I don't recall seeing one, but that would be a fairly easy movie property to turn into a game. If they did make it, was it any good?

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
Two words: Steel Battalion. The mech game with the controller simulating a mech cockpit. You actually had to flip the switches and press the foot pads to move and it even went so far as to give perm-death if you didn't press the eject button when the robot was about to explode. Would probably cost a small fortune to own now and it was only for the original Xbox but it was one of the most interesting concepts for a game I've ever played (yes, I actually shelled out the cash for this monster back when it came out).

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
I'm glad someone else is having fun with mechs I've had the exact same niche to fill, although I'm lucky and have both the mech assault games and I have Mobile suit gundam feration vs zeon. Which my excitment to play led me to watch a bunch of different gundam anime. Gotta say I'm near the end of Wing and gotta say the bad guys are idiots.

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
God said:
I'm glad someone else is having fun with mechs I've had the exact same niche to fill, although I'm lucky and have both the mech assault games and I have Mobile suit gundam feration vs zeon. Which my excitment to play led me to watch a bunch of different gundam anime. Gotta say I'm near the end of Wing and gotta say the bad guys are idiots.
Sadly after wings the protagonists turn into a bunch of wimps... :S

It's been a while since we've had a proper Mech game. Strike suit zero is nice. Front Mission Evolved is... Okay-ish. The combat is quite fun.
Though I love Mechwarrior, sometimes I wish I had a Daishi for my morning commute... XD

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
If you had a PS, or if you really want to buy the game and play with an PS emulator on your PC, Xenogears is quite Mecha-rific. Also really convoluted and probably owes a bit of story potential to Evengelion(lots of Kabbal/gnostic references).

For the PC, there's an older game called "Shogo: Mobile Armor Division"(GOG has it) which is very Anime inspired. You also get missions where you run around on foot. It's not a great game, but it interesting. It also have two entirely different endgames depending on choices made late in the game. Something like the last hour or so of play changes(different locations, bosses, etc).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Have you already signed to Hawken Beta thaat is if you computer can handle the spec?

If not here is the link http://store.steampowered.com/app/271290/

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
Speaking of giant robots, did they ever make a Pacific Rim video game? I don't recall seeing one, but that would be a fairly easy movie property to turn into a game. If they did make it, was it any good?
They did, and it was essentially a poor fighting game. Played it for a bit using Playstation Now during the beta testing. I didn't think the game was very good, but YMMV.

Sep 13, 2009
Nobody's mentioned Armored Core yet? *rereads OP* Oh, on PC. Well darn. If you ever get the chance to though, you should try out Armored Core. It's basically a mecha fan's heaven. You get unbelievable amounts of customization (All the way down to the weight distribution), and it's got pretty fun gameplay too. I've really only played Armored Core 4A, but I've played a little bit of the others.

Aside from that my vote would go to Hawken. I briefly tried Mechwarrior Online, but I think it'd be a lot too slow for what you're looking for. It's kind of like World of Tanks but with giant robots.

Hawken is great though. It's free to play, you a decent variety of mechs, and it gets really fast paced. At the very least, it's worth checking out

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
There is Rising Thunder its a fighter with robots that apparently removes the execution barrier (for better or worse). Its in alpha atm and its free.

I have not tried it yet but will be doing so within the hour and it doesnt look to bad from the gameplay I have seen but again I have no first hand experience so just lettin you know its a thing rather than specifically recommending.

Edit: played it for a couple of hours and while the game is kinda fun in that it reminds me of simpler days of fighters i.e SF2 I have not been so impressed by the connection quality (never had a good connection went from barely playable to heavy delay at best) but my internet is not the best however I rarely get it this bad in other fighters so its probably down to the matchmaking feature which is my second annoyance why in my first two matches am I playing silver ranked people when I am carbon rank? If the connection was smooth I could understand but its not.

Will definitely try it again but damn the victories and defeats dont feel deserved with the lag.