Games With Gold: Too little, too late

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Dryk said:
tippy2k2 said:
Don't forget the ads!

Oh, also some fine print:

*?Games with Gold? free games offer available 6/10/13-12/31/13 for qualified paid Gold members only.

Unless they plan on doing something else special too, this stuff ends at the end of the year.
You missed the most important part, they're only valid for two weeks

"Each participating Xbox 360 game (selected by Xbox) available for download from Marketplace only during specified half-month window"
Do PS Plus members get to keep their free games for as long as they have PS Plus or do they have a time limit as well?

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Bat Vader said:
Dryk said:
tippy2k2 said:
Don't forget the ads!

*?Games with Gold? free games offer available 6/10/13-12/31/13 for qualified paid Gold members only.

Unless they plan on doing something else special too, this stuff ends at the end of the year.

"Each participating Xbox 360 game (selected by Xbox) available for download from Marketplace only during specified half-month window"
Do PS Plus members get to keep their free games for as long as they have PS Plus or do they have a time limit as well?
I belieeeve that the way it works is there's a roster of games, like 12 PS3 games and 6 Vita games. As the newest offerings come in, the older ones leave, keeping the number steady. However, (going to see if I can find confirmation) IF you previously downloaded an offered title that was free, you can continue to download it even after it has left the official roster.

Here, from their FAQ.

"If a game rotates out of the collection, can I still download it free with my Plus membership?

If you did not download the game when it was in the collection, you will not be able to secure your free download. However, if you downloaded when it was in the collection, but it's no longer on your hard drive, you can visit the PlayStation®Store and re-download it anytime, as long as you're a member."

So, yeah, if you downloaded X-Com, and deleted it later to make room, then you can re-download it any time, even once it is no longer part of the available 12 game roster as long as you remain a PS+ member.

Edit: On another note, you guys couldn't use the console to go on the internet until LAST YEAR? o_O

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Bat Vader said:
Dryk said:
tippy2k2 said:
Don't forget the ads!

There's no time limit for the games. You get to keep them forever. Games you download are stored to your account (PS3 and 360), so even if your console breaks or you accidentally delete a game you can re-download it whenever.

tippyk2k was pointing out that the offer is only good until the end of this year... Which means anyone who just ran out of Gold won't be able to participate. Also, Dryk was saying each game has a two week time window to be downloaded, not that the games themselves will expire after two weeks.

aerigon

Dec 8, 2011
Instead of giving games nobody would evem want to play for FREE ,can't they make multiplayer free for these months, removing the gold restrictions? I did like the mutiplayer for some of the games .

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
hooksashands said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
It's not mandatory at all, you can play your games just fine. Just offline and in single player.
It's mandatory if you want to play with your friends, which I do. So in my case, yes, it's mandatory. The only way it wouldn't be mandatory is if I only played solo games, wasn't using the Internet Explorer browser and didn't access Netflix on my 360.

SaneAmongInsane said:
And no, they are free promotion for us customers and anyone that chooses to become a costumer between now and december.
It's. Not. Free. Gold members have already given Microsoft cashmoney. Playstation + members have already given Sony cashmoney. Also, the words 'free' and 'promotion' are mutually exclusive.

SaneAmongInsane said:
Lets say I own a bakery. And with every loaf of bread, I'm giving away a cookie. You'd be the guy saying my bread is of low quality and you don't want it, fair enough, but still demand a cookie anyway. Well that's not how the promotion works dude. You get a free toy with a happy meal at McDonalds when you buy the meal, you don't just walk in to the place and demand all the Teenie Beanies they have and get to walk away with them.
Not sure where you're going with this string of contrived analogies, but as far I know bakeries don't charge me 60 bucks a year to watch them make bread. Also, the toy in a happy meal is not free either, by virtue of the fact that it's a signature component to the happy meal (which you've already paid for).

SaneAmongInsane said:
Entitlement.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.379604-Entitlement-You-Should-Know-These-Definitions#14887316
You're roughly spending about 60 a year in bread over the course of time.

And no dude, it's not mandatory. No one has a gun to your head and forcing you to buy Gold. You're making the CHOICE to purchase Gold.

And it's still free. Like a little prize inside a box of cereal. But I suppose you feel like buying a box of conflakes is "mandatory" as well, and you just want to tare apart every box in the aisle to get the pretty pink pegasus toy.... and then you'll submit a complaint to the company that the toy didn't satisfy you.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Even if they're not good games or old games many people already played but one should be happy you're actually getting games now for buying gold as opposed to no being given games at all.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
hooksashands said:
*snipped*
There's no time limit for the games. You get to keep them forever. Games you download are stored to your account (PS3 and 360), so even if your console breaks or you accidentally delete a game you can re-download it whenever.
The PSN+ ones are no longer playable if you cancel your PSN+ subscription; however, you can resume your PSN+ subscription any time and get them back again.

The Live Gold ones are supposedly "yours forever", but I haven't seen any word as to whether or not that includes if you keep them if you drop gold. Knowing MS' PR Department, they may have been intentionally misleading in their terminology.

Just clarifying.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
By comparison, my refrigerator only costs $158 a year to run. Which do you think pays for itself more? Hint: The one that preserves food.

SaneAmongInsane said:
And no dude, it's not mandatory. No one has a gun to your head and forcing you to buy Gold. You're making the CHOICE to purchase Gold.
I think you're confusing 'mandatory' with 'blackmail'. No, nobody forced me to sign up for Gold at gunpoint. However, seeing as I've already mentioned my desire to play games with friends (who also have Xbox and Gold accounts), I'm not left with much of a CHOICE. This is a CHOICE in the same sense that a broken bottle between two pieces of bread is a SANDWICH.

SaneAmongInsane said:
And it's still free. Like a little prize inside a box of cereal. But I suppose you feel like buying a box of conflakes is "mandatory" as well, and you just want to tare apart every box in the aisle to get the pretty pink pegasus toy.... and then you'll submit a complaint to the company that the toy didn't satisfy you.
Ha ha ha ha! You might struggle with certain word definitions, but I see your imagination is healthy. I just envisioned myself at a grocer ripping open cereal boxes screaming "WHERE'S MY PRETTY PINK PEGASUS?" Anyway, no. Not free. Free entails that I wasn't charged or didn't have to exert any mental or physical effort to obtain the item/services rendered. Since I just demolished all those cereal boxes not only have I already used my time and energy, but now I'll have to pay for ruined merchandise. And of course "mandatory" in your example doesn't apply since you just got done presenting the third alternative (flipping out). By contrast, since I want to play online and there's literally no other way to do that except pay Gold membership, it's a mandatory cost. "You're making the CHOICE to purchase Gold" is like telling someone hooked up to a ventilator "Well, you don't HAVE to keep breathing. You could just die." Gee, thanks for highlighting my options.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
JEBWrench said:
The PSN+ ones are no longer playable if you cancel your PSN+ subscription; however, you can resume your PSN+ subscription any time and get them back again.
Ah. See, I didn't know that. I'm not 100% sure but I think Xbox Live lets you download your game library even if you're still a Silver member.
JEBWrench said:
The Live Gold ones are supposedly "yours forever", but I haven't seen any word as to whether or not that includes if you keep them if you drop gold. Knowing MS' PR Department, they may have been intentionally misleading in their terminology.
Everything I used to play on my old hard drive shows up in the buy screen as "Download Again", so it seems to keep a history of what you purchased on a cloud server. Whether said cloud is dependable, only time will tell.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Something I'm curious about is whether Microsoft's going to keep the same paywall restrictions when it comes to ancillary functions, when going towards the Xbox One. A gander at their Live Gold page suggests that Netflix, internet browser, etc, etc, etc, all require membership to Gold to access anyway, literally making the matter not just about multiplayer. In fact, buying Gold technically wouldn't allow you access to Netflix anyway, as you'd need to purchase a proper subscription through their company; it just lets you use the service on the 360 in particular.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
hooksashands said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
By comparison, my refrigerator only costs $158 a year to run. Which do you think pays for itself more? Hint: The one that preserves food.

SaneAmongInsane said:
I think you're confusing 'mandatory' with 'blackmail'. No, nobody forced me to sign up for Gold at gunpoint. However, seeing as I've already mentioned my desire to play games with friends (who also have Xbox and Gold accounts), I'm not left with much of a CHOICE. This is a CHOICE in the same sense that a broken bottle between two pieces of bread is a MEAL.

SaneAmongInsane said:
Ha ha ha ha! You might struggle with certain word definitions, but I see your imagination is healthy. I just envisioned myself at a grocer ripping open cereal boxes screaming "WHERE'S MY PRETTY PINK PEGASUS?" Anyway, no. Not free. Free entails that I wasn't charged or didn't have to exert any mental or physical effort to obtain the item/services rendered. Since I just demolished all those cereal boxes not only have I already used my time and energy, but now I'll have to pay for ruined merchandise. And of course "mandatory" in your example doesn't apply since you just got done presenting the third alternative (flipping out). By contrast, since I want to play online and there's literally no other way to do that except pay Gold membership, it's a mandatory cost. "You're making the CHOICE to purchase Gold" is like telling someone hooked up to a ventilator "Well, you don't HAVE to keep breathing. You could just die." Gee, thanks for highlighting my options.
cause playing online with your friends is like a life or death thing.

and I'm not struggling with any word definitions. You feel you are owed something else for your 60 dollars rather then getting simply what was advertised. They're doing a cool little promotional bit, but it's not good enough for you. You want more. This is why we can't have nice things.

omegaweopon

Aug 25, 2009
This is the inherent issues with sales after the fact, and other free promotions. The issues becoming "I payed full price for this, why is everyone else getting it for free?" And "If they get something free, why don't I get something too? I'm paying for this service just like they are". This argument is simply a more prevalent issue in this case because the game in question is a much older, cheaper, and more mainstream game. This all breaks down to a simple fact: This promotion at its core is NOT targeting their already existing customer base. This is targeted at gaining new subscriptions via offering more tangible and long term benefits to the service. For established members this leaves a bit of a sense of neglect, as they want to feel more like this was as much a loyalty play, as a grab for new members.

However, due to the fact that this is in direct competition with another service, they need to provide a much better reason. The big complaint about this seems to be that it feels like it is a halfhearted tack on, whereas Sony's selection seems to be more diverse. (This was supposed to be a more complete thought. I got distracted, ADD'd and forgot where I was going with it, and just couldn't seem to pick it back up. Sorry!)

In the end, yes, it is a free game that was not a part of the original reasons that you payed for the service. This is something that people should be happy over in the end, as it is an added perk. It's just that the amount of "Tacked on" this all feels like, is making people feel that the company has no real love for the people that have supported it in the long run. The fact that these are all tried and true sellers, really helps to hammer in the fact, that they are trying to draw on the name of the titles as selling points. Not a promotion with any level of heart.

Now, I'm gonna experiment with this, and see if I am able to keep downloading these free games through my downloads history. If so.. My Xbox Gold account (That I don't actually pay for. MAUAHAHAH INFINITE XBOX LIVE) might have just netted me a few bucks.

comraderichard

Jun 11, 2013
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Well, I like to think of Games with Gold as the poor cousin of Sony's PS+ giveaways. It wants to be generous and praised for it, but it's too poor to afford giving away anythin other than games that everyone and their mother already have, or ones that are maligned by their own audience and didn't sell much anyway. It's not a large sample population, but the games so far have pretty much been that as far as I can tell. It'd be better value giving a free decent amount of points to spend on indie XBLA games.

I'm not certain Sony'll keep up the value as PS+ becomes compulsory though, and I haven't seen Microsoft's plans for other games, so I'll not make a judgment yet. But if I had to estimate, I'd say Microsoft will be giving away more either saturated or unwanted games and Sony might cut down on their offerings once everyone's roped in, but I'm more sure about the former than the latter.
It seems that people aren't taking the advice given when they're told not to forget, the Microsoft apologists are out in force, and they're possibly more obnoxious than the Nintendo Defense Force. Microsoft is not a poor company, they have a monopoly when it comes to computer software, but they are stingy as fuck - they want to get as much money out of people as possible, they're essentially the Mister Krabs of video gaming. To explain that analogy further: some people think the secret recipe is worth it (it seems like a lot of people are disagreeing with that lately, gee, I wonder fucking why?) but there's an acknowledgement that the man behind the great food is a money-grubbing asshole.

Sony is not some great moral paragon, in fact treating corporations like people in any regard is absolutely retarded. There is an understanding, customers pay for X, they receive Y and Z. This gesture on the behalf of Microsoft is meaningless, it's the fat Roman noble throwing scraps down to the plebs. To all of you who evidently have poor memories and a very short sight when it comes to gaming, a blatant half-assed attempt to replicate someone else's service should be criticized, would you still be chanting 'BUT IT'S FREEEE!' if the freemium item in question was a turd?

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
cause playing online with your friends is like a life or death thing.

and I'm not struggling with any word definitions. You feel you are owed something else for your 60 dollars rather then getting simply what was advertised. They're doing a cool little promotional bit, but it's not good enough for you. You want more. This is why we can't have nice things.
Hey SAI, I don't remember the part where i said it was life or death. you're the one who brought guns into the scenario. >=/

I don't feel I'm owed anything. Be for real, are you in charge of Xbox Live? Because the level of offense you've taken to me badmouthing Xbox Live far exceeds what I would expect from a Live customer. Oh no, I've insulted the sacred Ecksbawks God's generosity! Now they're going to give us even less games. PLAGUE, A PLAGUE UPON US ALL!!! =(

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
But I suppose you feel like buying a box of conflakes is "mandatory" as well, and you just want to tare apart every box in the aisle to get the pretty pink pegasus toy.... and then you'll submit a complaint to the company that the toy didn't satisfy you.
By the way, that's the funniest thing anyone has ever said to me on here. It's even funnier when you read that last part out of context.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
hooksashands said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
But I suppose you feel like buying a box of conflakes is "mandatory" as well, and you just want to tare apart every box in the aisle to get the pretty pink pegasus toy.... and then you'll submit a complaint to the company that the toy didn't satisfy you.
By the way, that's the funniest thing anyone has ever said to me on here. It's even funnier when you read that last part out of context.
...Jesus christ, it is :D And my nephew just asked me what I was looking at that made me laugh so hard.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
hooksashands said:
JEBWrench said:
Ah. See, I didn't know that. I'm not 100% sure but I think Xbox Live lets you download your game library even if you're still a Silver member.
Oh, your regular library is definitely accessible if you cancel your subscriptions, it's the promotional ones I'm still somewhat curious about.

Vylox

May 3, 2013
Tossing gas on a fire.....

OK so let me see if I got this straight...
Microsoft is basically giving water to drowning people, or passing out sand in a desert. People are complaining... understandable since the promotion is kind of a trick-loop (business thing here folks... offer a service that requires a full timed payment such as for a year, knowing full well that the new customers won't actually use the service for that full time length)
Then some other folx got mad at those who were complaining about the free swag ¿ why ? Especially as those who are saying "stop whining, its FREE" aren't actually benefiting from this anyhow ? (Btw at my local gamestop... Fable 3 is a dollar, Halo 3 is less than $2, and Assassins Creed 2 comes in a bundle with 4 other games for $5 so its a dollar, because every single last person with XBL Gold accounts for 20 miles around got free copies and took their physical ones to gamestop and traded them in for a quarter to be used as store credit)

I can see both sides of the argument, and think you all need to relax a bit.

Again, Microsoft, like Sony, are giving drowning people water.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Vylox said:
Tossing gas on a fire.....

OK so let me see if I got this straight...
Microsoft is basically giving water to drowning people, or passing out sand in a desert. People are complaining... understandable since the promotion is kind of a trick-loop (business thing here folks... offer a service that requires a full timed payment such as for a year, knowing full well that the new customers won't actually use the service for that full time length)
Then some other folx got mad at those who were complaining about the free swag ¿ why ? Especially as those who are saying "stop whining, its FREE" aren't actually benefiting from this anyhow ? (Btw at my local gamestop... Fable 3 is a dollar, Halo 3 is less than $2, and Assassins Creed 2 comes in a bundle with 4 other games for $5 so its a dollar, because every single last person with XBL Gold accounts for 20 miles around got free copies and took their physical ones to gamestop and traded them in for a quarter to be used as store credit)

I can see both sides of the argument, and think you all need to relax a bit.

Again, Microsoft, like Sony, are giving drowning people water.
I think it's a tad bit more exaggeration than anything; it can be frustrating to promised a promotional item, then later to find out you already either have it or can't use it. That's why, for example, I find the current set of offerings (released and announced thusfar) on Games With Gold more interesting than the ones on PSN+.