Games with good play length, replayability

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
So im a merchent navy seaman and i reacently completed a 3 month contract at sea (fairly short)
and i brought RTW:BI, DA origins and Dwarf fortress on my laptop. How ever DA quickly became intensly hard work as id finished in so many times before

So i have some questions
1. X3 what exactly is it it looks abit like EVE singleplayer with abit of freelancer mixed in, a correct assumtion?
2. is the new Rome total realism mod good i used to use that mod and was wondering if i should download it again or is there better now
3. Any other sugestions for games? Note they have to be good on single player alone and absolutely cannot need internet to play. For the PC as well its abit hard to take a console and tv on a flight for several hours every few months

Thanks in advance

John Farrell

Oct 26, 2011
Persona fuckin' 4. Great story and many ways to spend your ingame days ranging from eating dirt in the fridge to tackling dungeons representing your schoolmates inner subconscious.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
borderlands will give you plenty of hours of fun especially if you get the goty and its split screen so you can play with a friend

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
believer258 said:
Borderlands, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, all the Fallout games, Just Cause 2, Red Faction Guerilla, Saints Row 2 (if it works - word is that PC Port SUCKS) both Mass Effects, possibly Dragon Age 2 (some people didn't like it), KOTOR (especially if you really liked Dragon Age)

That's just a few long-time single player suggestions for you; I don't know about the rest of your questions.

EDIT: People, I believe he's looking for PC games to play. Persona 4 isn't on PC, and Borderlands on PC isn't split-screen as far as I know.
Yea ive played KOTORs to death as well planning on getting the third mass effect when that comes out. Editted the original post as well to hopefully clear things up about the PC issue

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Both Mass Effect games will give you a nice length out of both of them, and Red Dead Redemption is also an awesome time sink.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
believer258 said:
If you're especially in need of something for a flight and you've got a decent amount of extra cash on you, you could always shell out for a portable. Smaller, easier to play on a plane, and tons upon tons of single-player oriented games.

Just a suggestion.
may of caused a new confusion here the problem with consoles is i cannot transport them to and from the ship and back home again. I dont really need anything for the flight i need something for the three months on the ship where i cannot get new games/ use the internet/ go out for the night for a drink etc

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
No ones played X3 i thought people liked space sims here?
So far ive got on the list ME3 (played first 2), RTR and im going to look closely at skyrim and maybe new vegas. On the skyrim issue is the sword combat more fluid this time or is it still oblivions system, and do enamys scale those where two things i seriously disliked about oblivion

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
I didn't like x3 myself, too slow paced.

But yeah, its good for days and days of play without even touching the story.

building space stations, setting up trade, protecting it all...then working up enough of a fleet to do things like invade an enemy sector...

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
believer258 said:
Borderlands, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, all the Fallout games, Just Cause 2, Red Faction Guerilla, Saints Row 2 (if it works - word is that PC Port SUCKS) both Mass Effects, possibly Dragon Age 2 (some people didn't like it), KOTOR (especially if you really liked Dragon Age)

That's just a few long-time single player suggestions for you; I don't know about the rest of your questions.

EDIT: People, I believe he's looking for PC games to play. Persona 4 isn't on PC, and Borderlands on PC isn't split-screen as far as I know.
Wow, you pretty much ninja'd all the games I was going to suggest :D

Command and conquer Red alert 3 and it's expansion, uprising are great games to kill time on. Uprising alone has killed 51 hours for me so far and they are both stand alone, so you can get either one without having to get both.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
If you're into RPG then I would recommend some games set in Forgotten Realms. Baldur's gate series, Planescape: Torment (after playing some other FR game), Neverwinter Night series, Icewind Dale series, all with expansions. That should entertain you for a while.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Spacewolf said:
No ones played X3 i thought people liked space sims here?
I've played X3, though I haven't played EVE Online.

It's... bloody hell, it's a game I actually have difficulty playing, because there's so much to do. It's a complex game, and not one you can just sit down and play; you have to invest yourself in it. However, there's an awful lot of people out there who think it's worth the trouble.

Apart from that, I'd recommend Saints Row 2, or Saints Row: The Third if you can afford it. Primarily single-player, open-world games, with loads of side missions and a great campaign.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Phishfood said:

building space stations, setting up trade, protecting it all...then working up enough of a fleet to do things like invade an enemy sector...
I loooooove me some X3. That game doesnt really have much "replayability" per say, but a single game will last you a god awful amount of time. Some of the high end missions have stupidly high requirements and take ages, but very much worth it.

Personally I love it, starting off as a lowely trader and working up to a multi billion dollar force. Its certainly not for everyone and has a bit of a problem with tutorials and explaining itself, the difficulty curves a bit of a *****. BUt once you get over it its extremely fun.

Also have to agree, Oblivion, BG2, Skyrim etc have great replayability, BG2 probably the most.

Rapamaha

Dec 6, 2010
well I am currently playing Skyrim wich has been pretty good and should have content for hunders of hours (atleast thats what the dev's claim) altho dont know what kind of laptop you have but if it runs skyrim, you should get it, other games: KOTOR 1 & 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age 2 if you havent tried it yet, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, GTA 3,VC,SA & 4 if your laptop runs it,

GTA's are around 20-30hours long, KOTOR's & Mass Effects around 40hours, DA2 around 60hours, Fallouts depend how much you do side quests and how much you explore but my playtroughs have been around 70-100hours long,

also if you like RTS games Id recommend: Warcraft 3 + Frozen throne, Company of Heroes + Opposing fronts expansion, Dawn of War + all the expansions & Dawn of War 2 + expansions

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
I'd say Skyrim, but I don't ever see the game ending, so I wouldn't call it RE-playability...

...but yeah, Skyrim. Unless you HAVE to have Steam for it, (which I think you do, sadly).

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Doom-Slayer said:
Phishfood said:

I loooooove me some X3. That game doesnt really have much "replayability" per say, but a single game will last you a god awful amount of time. Some of the high end missions have stupidly high requirements and take ages, but very much worth it.

Personally I love it, starting off as a lowely trader and working up to a multi billion dollar force. Its certainly not for everyone and has a bit of a problem with tutorials and explaining itself, the difficulty curves a bit of a *****. BUt once you get over it its extremely fun.

Also have to agree, Oblivion, BG2, Skyrim etc have great replayability, BG2 probably the most.
Are there any mods you would recomend or is it good as shipped

Rapamaha said:
well I am currently playing Skyrim wich has been pretty good and should have content for hunders of hours (atleast thats what the dev's claim) altho dont know what kind of laptop you have but if it runs skyrim, you should get it, other games: KOTOR 1 & 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age 2 if you havent tried it yet, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, GTA 3,VC,SA & 4 if your laptop runs it,

GTA's are around 20-30hours long, KOTOR's & Mass Effects around 40hours, DA2 around 60hours, Fallouts depend how much you do side quests and how much you explore but my playtroughs have been around 70-100hours long,

also if you like RTS games Id recommend: Warcraft 3 + Frozen throne, Company of Heroes + Opposing fronts expansion, Dawn of War + all the expansions & Dawn of War 2 + expansions
Well ive got 3 Saves going right though from ME1-2 unfortunatly my copy of ME broke and i dont want to start a character in the middle even though it doesnt really change much i imagine. KOTOR1&2 i think ive got 4 full playthoughs for each of them as well.
Havent played frozen throne does it still stack up after all this time
DOW1 got it and all expansions except soul storm
DOW2 ive got that as well except for the new expansion, which i am curious about ive heard that its stand alone and doesnt import saves like chaos rising did.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Spacewolf said:
Are there any mods you would recomend or is it good as shipped
I prefered X3 unmodded actually. There are quite a few script packages and things but a fair few of them are quite complicated to use. I downloaded a few of them a while ago when I play but I never really used them much, it works well unmodded.

Oblivion for mods..deeeefinalty get some. Check TES Nexus for them, though last I checked the website has changed a bit so Im not sure what mods exactly to advise.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
as already mentioned, if you liked DO, go for Mass Effect 1 and 2 and if you're a star wars fan, add Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2. Oblivion's good, but if your running it on a laptop you may not have the memory needed for the game and mods.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
The Dawn Of War games have a lot of re-playability, and are quite long. Although they aren't RPG games, they are still quite enjoyable.

The only RPG i have on my laptop is the Kotor series...i daren't try anything else...