Games with great banter between characters.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
NewYork_Comedian said:
So I delved into Fallout New Vegas again over the break and have enjoyed the hell out of it now that I am going through it for the first time heavily modded. However, despite the companions being far more interesting than the boring karmatic people you traveled with in Three, I felt that there could always be more for them to say and do. I kept thinking how great it would be for Boone and Cass or Veronica and Arcade to get into some hilarious argument on the road.
Thank you! This always frustrated the hell out of me! I always sent my companions to the Lucky 38, but all they do is just stand there and walk around like aimless sheep. I'm under the impression that Obsidian had plans to have them have conversations with each other, but it never worked out. Stuff like that is just so polluted in New Vegas that I always come out of it rather frustrated over lots little things in that game. And it frustrates me even more, because I know they can do better. Case in point: Knights of the Old Republic II.

KotOR II really emphasized the importance of your companions, in that not only could you influence their alignment based on your decisions, but you also saw cool cinematics of them arguing over the littlest things. They all had their own personality, but those personalities clashed with each other constantly. You had companions fear each other, annoy each other, plan to kill each other behind your backs. It was amazing! And Obsidian could have definitely done that with New Vegas.

Imagine if Raul could have acted nervously around Lily after coming back from Black Mountain. Or how Cass always tried to avoid ED-E due to her fear of robots. Hell, I'm certain Veronica and Arcade would have become the best of friends and Boone becoming the enemies of everyone else! Urgh! Why Obsidian! Why the wasted potential!

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Yup, gonna have to add a point for Shale... for a character I didn't get until nearly the end of the game, she caught my heart almost immediately, so, yeah.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Whiplash springs to mind. It's a game about a Weasel and a Rabbit who are chained together, and they are trying to escape an animal testing laboratory. The rabbit is indestructible and is basically used as a weapon throughout the game, which leads to many complaints of course. My favourite one:

"Wow, you know when you used me to smash that guy, then ran up there (dragging me behind you of course), then you used me to slide across that rail and then you stuck me into that thing!? Remember that!? Don't ever do that again!"

Shdwrnr

Waka waka waka
May 20, 2011
I can't believe I forgot about it, but No One Lives Forever has the BEST banter hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq5tLqTyuO0

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I'm a bit shocked nobody before me mentioned Grand Theft Auto 5, I'm rather partial to RPGs but I can't deny that so many times on missions in GTA:5 I just loved listening to the characters banter back and forth, no matter who it was, the dialogue just flows with so much humor and wit I couldn't help but smile.

Say what you want about the actual characters, but they are really well written for who they are and their interactions are top notch.

My favorite is when Michael explains to Trevor why he's a hipster!

ThatQuietGuy

May 22, 2013
Bioware and Rockstar are both great at banter, Naughty Dog also has great banter in the Uncharted series plus The Last of Us. Trying to think of some less obvious games but coming up blank. Special mention to the Skyrim mod Interesting Npcs, seriously if you have Skyrim on the Pc GET THIS MOD.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Both Dragon Age games are absolutely wonderful when it comes to banter. The "Tales Of" series is another series that has great banter thanks to its "skit" system.