Games with IEDs

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I like games where I can cram explosives onto a truck, drive it towards a target, and jump out just in time to watch the fireball. I also like games where I can plant explosives and quietly observe the spot, waiting for the right moment to hit the detonator. I've done this in Mercenaries, Battlefield and Destroy All Humans, but now I'm looking for more games where this is possible. I picked up Red Faction Guerilla recently, but the game seems to encourage firefights instead of trying to hit enemy installations with improvised explosives.

What are some good games where I can plant explosives and use them as a key weapon against the enemy?

Cuniculus

May 29, 2009
Just Cause 2 would be a good choice. You could also play a Metal Gear Solid game where you can sneak up and plant explosives on the back of an unsuspecting guard, wait until he goes to see his friends and then detonate.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I second Just Cause 2.

I'll also throw in the Saboteur. It's kind of a mediocre game, but the entire thing sounds like just the sort of thing the OP would enjoy, with bewbs.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
I've done this in Far Cry 2, however after the perfectly timed explosives go off, every enemy in the area seems to know which direction the radio detonation signal came from.

A Werewolf

Jun 27, 2011
SomeLameStuff said:
I've done this in Far Cry 2, however after the perfectly timed explosives go off, every enemy in the area seems to know which direction the radio detonation signal came from.
This

and if the explosion doesn't kill them, the consequential forest fire should

Wolvaroo

Jan 1, 2008
Battlefield series.
The Kamikaze Kubelwagon will always have a place in my heart.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Wolvaroo said:
Battlefield series.
The Kamikaze Kubelwagon will always have a place in my heart.
It has a place in my heart, too. I've destroyed many a German tank by driving a Jeep full of dynamite into it. I once even sank an IJN battleship by loading a stolen landing craft with explosives.

I've already played The Saboteur, and I thought the game was just very mediocre. I'll check out Just Cause 2 and Far Cry 2. Does anyone have others to recommend?

Brandon Lum

Apr 4, 2010
Fallout NV, or 3. In 3 it, is was a lot more limited, (Bottlecap mine) but in NV, you can make Timebombs, Bottlecap Mines, Powder Charges, Gas Can Bombs, Molotov Cocktails, and as far as detonation, you can buy C-4 and cause some havoc with that.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Brandon Lum said:
Fallout NV, or 3. In 3 it, is was a lot more limited, (Bottlecap mine) but in NV, you can make Timebombs, Bottlecap Mines, Powder Charges, Gas Can Bombs, Molotov Cocktails, and as far as detonation, you can buy C-4 and cause some havoc with that.
Oh yeah, I've done a lot of this in both games. There's nothing like killing a Super Mutant with a pile of land mines.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Have you ever played The Saboteur?

There is a lot you can do with explosives. It's not a great game (Very unpolished in some parts), but if all you want is to blow crap up, I would recomend it.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
A Werewolf said:
SomeLameStuff said:
This

and if the explosion doesn't kill them, the consequential forest fire should
Indeed; fires seem to be the ultimate bane of the Farcry 2 mercs; they are omniscient as soon as I kill one, but they're still attracted to fire like months to a flame (even though moths aren't really according to QI, but anyway); I've managed to kill about 3/4 of the guards of a place thanks to three or so molotovs which seemed to get far more people than they should.

Edit: Whoops; yeah the IEDs in Farcry are great for the convoy missions, unless the occupants of another vehicle in the convoy spot it, get out and come straight to you >.<

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
In Dead Rising 2 there is LITERALLY a weapon called an IED.

But Just Cause 2 or Saints Row 2 should scratch your itch

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
There's an explosives mod for Oblivion that allows you to set tripwires. I use that in combination with a mod adding travelling merchants and will just sit out on the roads watching a tripwire for caravans to cross it then pick off the survivors with my bow, then take their stuff.

A Shadows Age

Mar 30, 2011
If fuel of war multiplayer is still up you could try that, just use drones. A friend and I once ambushed a tank along a road with 8 grenade launching drones, just the two of us... sorry. also 6 C4 RC choppers = anti air road block, oh the love.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
As mentioned, Just Cause 2 and The Saboteur. I really liked the style of The Saboteur even if it was a bit rough around the edges.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
I recommend FarCry 2, personally. Few things are as satisfying as loading up a jeep with ten IED's, planting it near the side of a road, waiting for an arms convoy to drive by, and watching the whole thing go to hell.