Games with lots of plot?

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
davidofdoom said:
Planescape: Torment for the PC. An amazing RPG. I've never seen a game with such strong character development and story. If you like that stuff, you'll love PS:T.
This. Plotscape: Torment is one of the best games ever made and fits your criteria quite nicely.

Other suggestions include Terranigma (SNES) and Iji (PC, freeware), off the top of my head.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
BioShock, Mass Effect and Fallout all have great storylines although some a bit questionable (I'm looking at you Mass Effect 2). What they do have though is an amazing lore with a lot of untold stories that leave the player the most important storyteller.

I guess I'll swing one for Half-Life 2 while I'm at it. The story and setting are a interesting mix of War of the Worlds and 1984 but contains so many untold stories and mush of the setting and backstory are hold in shadows and mystery (much like the future of Half-Life mind you).

ldbmikey86

Feb 11, 2009
Of what hasn't been said, I'd say you'd probably like Metro 2033. It fits the description perfectly in my opinion, anyway. I didn't really know what to think of the game at first but it grew on me...a lot.

Wolfinton

Jan 1, 2010
Baldures Gate, Mass Effect 1, Dragon Age: Origins, Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption and maybe the Fallout series.

I didn't mention Mass Effect 2 as that plot line didn't do it for me. I didn't like how it progressed and the overall story itself.

crusha_aa

Feb 27, 2008
Legacy of Kain series has quite an interesting plot and characters. Its also one of the few stories i have had experienced that included time travel without messing up the plot.

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
If you can be pacient enough for point and click adventures.

You should try : Culpa Innata, Longest Journey: Dreamfall. They pretty much create a entire game universe.
And are totally plot driven, which not many games are. Also cheap like almost free.

Final fantasy games are also heavy plot.

Idiotastic

Mar 21, 2010
Fiery Killer said:
I am proud to be the first one to post a reccomendation for Heavy Rain in this thread.

Also any games from the Final Fantasy series.
Your avatar is awesome.
BK-201!

OT: I'd go for the Bioshock or Mass effect series,they tend to be all about story.
Or,basically anything by Bioware,as mentioned above somewhere.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
Mass effect series (i refuse to elaborate, play the dam games)

Gears of war series (there is crap going on even if the characters refuse to acknowledge it, or if it is incredibly poorly explained)

Half Life series (even if you just look at half life 2 and the episodes there is a lot going on there)

Halo series (i refuse to count each as it's own game, there is a massive story here, but unless you're willing to devote enough time to earn a PHd in Halo-ology then your probably not gonna see it)

portal (see mass effect)

borderlands (there was a story... but the game seems to forget about it in favor of killing space alligator dog things)

Battlefield Bad Company (infinitely stronger than any CoD game in that there is character development, but its very linear and ultimately simpler than it wants to be, people find gold and nearly start a world war, some story to be had)

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
May I suggest the Legacy of Kain series, if you want lots of plot and character development that's those are the games to get. I'd start with Soul Reaver if you want to be able to navigate the labyrinthine series of twists, turns, betrayals, etc that dominate the series.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
My recommendations would be Mass effect 2 and halo 1 and halo reach. however to enjoy mass effect 2 you will have to of played mass effect 1 (still a good game) like wise with halo in order to enjoy the franchise fully you will have to play them in order halo 1, halo 2, halo 3, halo 3 ODST and halo reach (I have never read any of the books and still thoroughly enjoy and understand halo). other recommendations would be COD4 (only one with a really good story if somewhat short) and crysis 1 (not crysis warhead) if you have the rig to run it. however you will probably get the most out of Mass effect 1 and 2 that equals about 50 hours of gameplay (depending on difficulty, DLC and if you decide to do all side quest). I would recommend not doing the side quest in mass effect 1 but definitely in Mass effect 2